The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Dear General,

Thank you for your direct reply. I really do appreciate tha fact that you listen to the thoughts of the everyday supporter like myself. I will definitely try to renew my ticket, unless you appoint Steve Mclaren! :winkold:

Would love to hear your thoughts on FIFA, and the Blatter press conference yesterday. I thought it was a sinister whitewash!

Hi General

Sorry to hear Houllier is likely leaving but probably best for both parties. Were it not for the health issues i would be all for Gerard staying and was looking forward to seeing what he does with the squad this summer.

My question is about our scouting system. Can you clarify who our scouts are and whether Randy sees us setting up a world class world wide scouting network as a priority?

For us to get where we want to be our scouting system in general needs to be among the very best. I worry that it seems to have become abit of a shambles under O'Neil and it seems that under Houllier he didnt have the time to develop it as it required and didnt have time to get the back room staff in.

We need to be combing the Championship, the Scotish leagues and every major Foreign league relentlessly to find the hidden gems that are definately out there. Can you confirm whether the club agrees this is a priority and what steps are / have been taken to improve it?

Hi General,

I know you say for us to not believe in what we read in the media, but today I just hope there right in what there saying about our managerial situation. On that note I want to thank your good self and Mr Lerner for doing the right thing.

Up the Moyes... I mean Villa.

Hi General,

Again, many thanks for posting on the site and interacting with the fans. It really is pretty darn cool.

I am fully 100% behind what you guys are doing to continue to grow Aston Villa. There have been some pretty sucky posts of late, with people demanding answers on who will be playing at the club next season before they buy their season tickets, others demanding an announcement on what the situation is regarding Gerard, some saying that their is a lack of communication etc etc... It's been a horrid week or so after we beat Liverpool last day of the season and finished where we never thought we would a month ago... I must admit, I would have thought that acting fast was the key to ensuring success next season...but now I see why we need to make sure things are done properly... We need to do what is right for the club. What Gerard has done is reduce the wage bill, is blooding our Youth and implementing a more interesting style of play. Amongst other things I'm sure, but at the moment it's not anything that we as fans have visibility of??

I am going to support what ever decision is made by you guys. The rumours are out, at the moment everyone thinks that Houllier is off... Que the excitement of who will be in to replace him, what about the rest of the staff..etc etc..

I don't really have an opinion, like Randy and you I and just want us to be competing towards the top, and I know that you guys will do what it takes to ensure we get there, busting a gut day and night to ensure the fans are happy. Quite how some of the people who say they will not be coming to a game unless this and that happen is beyond me, if your a fan of Aston Villa, you go along and support the club no matter what!!!

I also love the fact that we do not conduct our business through the press, it means that what ever does come from the club is usually pretty damn exciting. I am fed up now of reading crap that is spouted about what is going on behind the scenes, who we are selling and buying, it's so boring. But on the flip side, I get excited about transfer windows!! I have no doubt that the players that we have brought in have helped in some way, I know that we are now searching far and wide, admittedly MON signing only British based players ment that there wasn't much choice in terms of quality and other limitations... But still...They have represented Villa.

Keep doing what your doing General, continue to make Villa grow... And we will do our bit.

UTV

General, do you think that experience of managing a Villa "type" club in the Premiership is important in making our next appointment? If you do then you are in agreement with 49% of posters who have posted in the "next Villa manager section." The outstanding candidate is David Moyes. As the next Villa manager he would virtually guarantee 7 or 8 seasons of continuing Premiership status, while at the same time improving us year on year with Randy's committed investment. (imo of course, and as always UTV!!!!)

David Moyes, you having a laugh?

With CARLO ANCELOTTI out of a job then surely General take that chance and bite - if we had him, that would most certainly is a statement of intent and progress, plus Carlo plays a similar style of football and is an absolute gent, this guy won the double with Chelsea, and if Randy wants Champions League qualification, he could very well get us there with lowered expectations plus he may like the oppurtunity to build his own team, something he didn't get at Chelsea.

By the way anything announced for our pre-season friendly for when we usually play a big Euro team, General? Rumours around Italy its Napoli just asking :D

General Krulak here:

1. PKAVFC: "I hope the Board has learned a lesson from this...." Oh yes, we sure have. Let's see, we learned that it is not good to have a Manager leave the Club 5 days before the season starts....we learned that we should have a QA man or woman located at the factory where the material for our kit is woven...we learned that it is not good to have a raft of injuries to some of our best players during the season...we learned that it is not good when your Manager has a heart problem in the final weeks of the season. Are those the lessons we were supposed to have learned? If so, we learned them. I don't suppose you would like to offer a suggestion as to how to avoid these in the future? :bang::bang:

2. Tayls: A VERY good post!!! Your comment about some of the things that GH did for the Club was spot on! Unfortunately, much of what you said goes unappreciated by many fans. Thank you for highlighting them.

3. We have a scouting system. Is it world class???? Probably not....and it is something that we need to improve upon.

4. Thank you for all the suggestions re. a new Manager. It seems like just yesterday that I was getting suggestions on what to do with GH...now its choosing a new Manager. Can I have one day of rest? Think about it, even God took one day of rest....don't I deserve at least a day since I am certainly NOT in any way or shape even a glimmer of God's greatness.

General Krulak here:

1. PKAVFC: "I hope the Board has learned a lesson from this...." Oh yes, we sure have. Let's see, we learned that it is not good to have a Manager leave the Club 5 days before the season starts....we learned that we should have a QA man or woman located at the factory where the material for our kit is woven...we learned that it is not good to have a raft of injuries to some of our best players during the season...we learned that it is not good when your Manager has a heart problem in the final weeks of the season. Are those the lessons we were supposed to have learned? If so, we learned them. I don't suppose you would like to offer a suggestion as to how to avoid these in the future? :bang::bang:

2. Tayls: A VERY good post!!! Your comment about some of the things that GH did for the Club was spot on! Unfortunately, much of what you said goes unappreciated by many fans. Thank you for highlighting them.

3. We have a scouting system. Is it world class???? Probably not....and it is something that we need to improve upon.

4. Thank you for all the suggestions re. a new Manager. It seems like just yesterday that I was getting suggestions on what to do with GH...now its choosing a new Manager. Can I have one day of rest? Think about it, even God took one day of rest....don't I deserve at least a day since I am certainly NOT in any way or shape even a glimmer of God's greatness.

General you are right GOD took one day of rest, but you are above GOD and as a marine surely rest is for the weak :winkold:

Anyway thanks again for all the replies even if it isnt will the answers we want to hear.(we know you can say all the in's and out's)

Regardless of what happens this summer i will always back the team and randy, maybe we have been spoilt a little with having you talk to us, so we will always ask questions, and most of the time we know rightfully we won't get the answer due to the prying eyes of the british press.

Anyway you may have missed my previous question about old merchandise, so if you could have a look into it for me i would be grateful.

if you can't find it please PM me and i'll reply.

Cheers

General I have avoided this thread for ages due to the way certain members struggle to communicate their thoughts in connected way but I just wanted to put my point across.

GH made a few stupid decisions in his time at Villa, I have gone through so many emotions this season (mostly negative) that I have gone from sack him to back him so many times I have confused myself.

We now find ourselves with no manager again but for whatever went wrong I can not base a decison on GH on this one season as so much went wrong that I think it would be very unfair to label him as a bad manager because of it. I hope that GH stays at the club in some capacity as his knowledge would be an asset to the club in so many ways so I hope if the press stories are true then we take this path.

I have faith in the board that it will do the right thing with the choice in a new manager but as I can not make a judgement on GH I also can not make one on the boards appointment of him for the same reasons so I refuse to say "get it right this time"

I believe Randy loves the club so will do the best by it but this is a big one for them to get right so best of luck.

General,

Whilst its difficult to argue that the board could not have done anything about Mr Houlliers health problems they are however in some way responsible for many of the other issues. The manager leaving 5 days before the start of the season, on August 9th 2010, has never been completely explained so it is not known if blame could be apportioned to both sides, but regardless of this it was absolute madness that it took till the 20th September 2010, seven weeks, for a new man to be in place. We have then had to endure the best part of seven months in and around the relegation zone, a manager disrespecting the clubs supporters, giving up on a cup game before it had even kicked off and negative headline after negative headline due in many cases to the manager shouting his mouth off.

If I employ somebody and they are not doing their job to an acceptable standard or disrespecting the customer I have to take ultimate responsibility as I employed that person.

Therefore General I sincerely hope that blame isn't totally being pushed elsewhere and the board are taking responsibility for many of the things that have gone wrong over the last 9 months and to therefore learn from them.

Anybody can make a mistake and that is forgivable. What isn't is not accepting that you have made mistakes, learning from them and doing your best to ensure they don't happen again.

Regards

Mark

Hi General,

I was listening to the radio today and the chairman of Forest Green Rovers (A team in the Blue Square Premier team) had an interesting discussion about the sustainability of their club. I am a Energy Advisor and was interested to listen to what he had to say, and most of it was very basic but very effective in ways of saving the club money, mostly in terms of energy usage.

I was wondering if 'Our' club is doing anything in the way of Energy Saving, and if not, is there anything we as fans could do or, could you/do you need assistance from outside companies to look into ways which Aston Villa could become more self-sustaining with regards to Environmental Sustainability?

General.

I can completely understand why you feel like banging your head on a brick wall. In your position I don't think i'd have the patience you have. To all those out there who want to know who will be our manager & who will be our players next season before they renew / purchase season tickets i would "don't **** bother". At the end of the day we've seen managers & players we thought of as gods come & go, they will continue to do so. I didn't like GH & never will but even if he is manager I am a villa fan and as such will renew regardless of manager / playing staff. If people need assurances before they renew then they don't deserve to be called Villans. The only consideration before renewing should be 'have i got the money'.

Keep the faith General. Most of us will follow through thick and thin not just on sunny days

General Krulak here:

Possibly your greatest reply ever General. And one no doubt the vast majority here enjoyed as much as myself this morning.

I knew some folks and their inane nonsense and constant griping would tip you over the edge. You have to learn who to read posts by and who to ignore for your own sanity.

Keep up the good work, and keep that spirit in your heart. LOVE IT!

Ulver

PS : I was in the club shop last weekend and noticed one of the male staff had an awful pair of trainers on his feet. Should this be allowed at a grand old club like Aston Villa ?, Surely we've learnt this season that shoddy footwear is not welcome at this club if we want to be top 4 and attracting the best players managers. I bet it wouldn't happen at Man Utd, Arsenal, Chel ... waffle wafffle waffle

:lol:

Hi General

Just wanted to say thanks for coming onto this forum

I know you sometimes get a little stick from one or two, but I think it is fantastic that you come on here, and greatly appreciated by us!

We remind posters of the thread guidelines, an extract is below. No Transfer questions, no repeat questions &

This thread is for Q&A, the raising of issues and the passing of info two ways ONLY. It is NOT for discussions or banter between posters. Please look to see if your question has already been asked or answered before posting. ....Posts which direct abuse or invective against anyone are not permitted and will be deleted, as will posts consisting solely of fawning praise. ..
The Mods

General, why I can admit that lady luck has deserted us on so many levels this season, i am sure the board learnt one or two things... dont we all? testing times and what not. Me saying i hope the board has learned a lesson surely did not offend, bearing in mind other direct comments and questions.

On a different note can I let you know about my own and some friends experiences in buying tickets online. On two occasions I had a card posted from royal mail, stating the postage was not paid. I had to go to the sorting office and pay £1.36 and £1.12 another time - not massive amounts i know, but every penny counts!

I called the villa helpline/customer services at the time, who said it could not be refunded directly, but taken off the next time i book tickets on the phone. I am not sure if it was a blip, or a regular problem, but just thought it best to point it out. On a postive the tickets arrived very quickly. And the loyalty points.., are there any plans to use these to more benefit... i.e free pen, scarf, hat etc... they just seem to rack up. I have lots of loyalty!!

My other question is about the kit, as per my last post. It appears it could be with us for the end of june. Will the club release an image online of the shirts, rather than plan a catwalk type of presentation? I remember the white acorns away shirt being revealed on the website and then the home at the peace cup if i remember.

Has the final design been approved for the shirt?

Regards

Hi gen

Are we on schedule with the new kit ?. Holiday time is approaching and i want to be assured i will be wearing the new top on the beach come August !!!

P.S. can you tell the head of the premier league fixtures to put us away from home on August 27th as it's my honeymoon !!!

cheers sir

General, I wouldn't let just the comments on this thread cloud your judgement.

People are going to write in here to moan and have a whinge if they aren't happy but not if they are satisified and happy, aren't they?

(p.s. I wouldn't swap our board for any board in the league. I am proud of the way our club is run)

I'm not a religious man personally so I deny your request for a day off sir.

Following our most recent news I await Hughes, Moyes or another capable manager with respect for the job. That's not Steve McLaren thank you...

Do us proud, I trust the timescales will be appropriate?

Good wishes to GH all the same.