The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

I just to echo Big Johns comments...most of my friends including me, believe Randy is the best thing to happen to Villa in a long time..as a fan, no matter what happens I will support the Villa, through thick and thin..what MON did to our team was unacceptable as a man & professional, his timing was severely detrimental to our club and hampered our season, then GH, I really feel for GH and hope he gets better, but as a Manager he has been poor, very poor, Ancelotti has been sacked for finishing 2nd yet we seem to be happy to stick with a manager who guided us to a relegation fight, with the players we have that should not have happened...have people already forgotten Liverpool, what he did was unacceptable, why are we waiting for a drs decision when that decision should already be made. Again we need to detach ourselves from GH's condition and look at his capabilities...that's probably what a lot of people refer to as dithering...remember General, as fans we have seen it all before and we definitely know the difference between good and bad

I have now posted on this site for over 4 years and I have tried to make it clear that YOUR Club is NOT going to conduct its business in the media...we just aren't. We are going to conduct our business as professionals

General,

Fully agree that this is how the club should be conducting itself. Its a shame that no one bothered to tell the current manager that's how we roll. If they had perhaps we wouldn't have had so many negative headlines over the past 8 months due to the tripe he has spouted.

Mark

General Krulak here:

1. Ginko, I am not sure what a "clear sign" would entail? I would think that Randy's willingness to splash cash at every window is some indication of a clear sign of where he wants the Club to go. I would think that Randy's willingness to splash cash to make Villa Park a jewel in the Premiership would be a clear sign of what he wants the Club to be. I would think that the money he has put towards our players (Bodymoor Heath) is a clear sign of his belief that facilities do matter in the health of the players. I would think that Randy's purchase of a house a short distance from Bodymoor Heath and the fact that he is at almost every game, home and away, is a clear sign of his PERSONAL desire for the Club to be counted as one of the best and most successful Clubs in the league...and a clear sign that his heart and soul is with the Club.

My apologies General, I wasn't very clear on what I meant by a clear sign. I fully appreciate and am grateful for the sheer amount of money Randy has put into the club and the signing of Bent more than proves Randy and the board's commitment to me personally.

By saying 'a clear sign' I was speaking more specifically to the here and now concerning our managerial situation, i.e whether Monsieur Houllier would be staying put or whether we would be appointing a new coach. I appreciate that when this decision is made it will be made public and also realise that it is not an easy decision to be made and one that will take time, I was simply trying to state that football fans by nature are incredibly passionate about their clubs and also incredibly impatient so please do not to think too badly of us for wanting to know all the details at the earliest possibility.

Hello General

Have the club ever considered offering an early bird season ticket incentive like other clubs do ?

Eg: If you renew by a certain specified date you get it at a cheaper rate than those folks who order after ?

I've always felt a renewing season ticket holder should get some sort of loyalty reward, and not just pay the same price as a newbie

Hi General,

I don't read any newspapers as I do believe that the majority of what is printed is rubbish. However, I do read this forum and was surprised to see people mentioning the possibility of Bent leaving.

I guess the media guys have looked at previous quotes from Benty where he said that the likes of Young and Downing make his job easier with the quality that they supply. With those quotes in mind, it wouldn't totally surprise me if Benty did start to look elsewhere if we lost those two players, as well as a few others.

All I want to know is this; can you guarantee us fans that the best signing Villa have made in a very, very long time will still be a Villa player come the start of next season?

Best Wishes and here's to a great summer transfer window and better times ahead :cheers:

Hi General

Hope you and your family are well and lots of activity is going on behind the scenes at Villa Park (In a positive way)

Just changing tack I wondered if AVFC had put in an application to hold the play off finals at Villa Park due to Wembley being used for the Champions League Final. Not surprisingly they ended up at Old Trafford pouring even more money into their coffers.

If we did,nt apply to hold these events was it a missed opportunity or logistically not possible at Villa Park at this time.

I just think any availability to profile AVFC / Villa Park should be taken plus added revenue at this moment in time would be beneficial.

John G Up The Villa

Hi General,

Thanks for the general response and I am not meaning to be short with you but I felt my question deserved a more immediate response that the generic one given as mine actually has a deadline. For someone struggling to raise the money for a season ticket, with Ashley young signing to Man utd any day now and our best two players supposedly expressing discontent and not wanting to sign new contract, what assurance can you give me that I am going to be getting anything close to value for my hard earned money?

Acceptable answers will be along the lines of...

Downing is happy and not going anywhere and we are actually trying to get him to sign a contract extension

Bent is more than happy and the papers are making things up

We will look at replacing the quality out with a similar or higher level quality in.

We are confident that Houllier will be fit to manage us for the entire season or we are getting in a proven successful manager such as moyes or ancelotti.

Unacceptable answers that result in fans not purchasing season tickets are

Buzzword buzzword not conducting business in the media

Buzzword buzzword generic trying our best but wont say how

I am not expecting 4 £30m signings, nor do I think signings should be in by now however every season there is a preseason excuse, last year Gerrard didn't have one and flopped, the season before Downing's poor form was attributed to it. if we are getting a new manager, we need him ASAP as i don't want a repeat of the mess we had last year due to MON. Other than that (if we even are getting a new manager that is, I actually have faith in Houllier) I am in no rush to see improvements. However, its not a case of improvement, its a case of even standing still. Each summer our best player is straight out the door with us looking for a replacement. Why can't we be the Man Utd or Man city, getting in a great player to strengthen straight away and then letting someone go - maybe then that player won't even want to go!

Imagine if we declared a come home plea to milner if (vaguely realistic) a month ago - would that not have the likes of downing thinking wow... how good will we be, I'd rather take my chances of CL football here than liverpool! Life is about image.. you more than most know that!

Imagine if we declared a come home plea to milner if (vaguely realistic) a month ago - would that not have the likes of downing thinking wow... how good will we be, I'd rather take my chances of CL football here than liverpool! Life is about image.. you more than most know that!

Yes please general :D

Hi gen,

Just wondering if you know that there are loads of fans behind you and the board? Do you take note of the positive comments as well as the negative ones?

Just stick to your guns and make the decision you feel is necessary for the club, much rather a sensible decision be made in good time (not too long though :P) than a rushed knee jerk reaction made to appease the moaners.

Oh and please dont take milner back, he couldnt wait to runoff and he would do the same again.

Any news on a kit reveal? :P

Utv!

Unfortunately, General, the format of this thread disproportionately lends itself to complaints. The vast majority are very much behind the chairman

Would just like to highlight this general. Thankyou for still posting here.

Dear General,

I thank you for your reply to my comment about the direction of the club. You made some good points, and I'd like to echo how great it felt to finish in the top half of the league; highest of all the Midlands clubs; to finish off the season by beating Arsenal and Liverpool. Reasons to be cheerful for sure.

However I am struggling to pay for next season's ticket both financially and in terms of my time: I shall be having a baby daughter in September, I already live 2 hours drive away from Villa Park and work shifts which prevent me from coming to numerous games. The cost of living is going up yet I have had my pay frozen for two years. The cost of a season ticket is also going up. I am having to seriously consider whether I can keep coming to the Villa, and that is very depressing.

With all that in mind can you empathise with the common fan's frustrations?

On a (vaguely) related note, did you see the Lord Alan Sugar documentary broadcast on British TV about the state of football finances, wherein he stated that the biggest problem for the game is players wages?

Do you agree? (Having heard my tale of woes try and guess what I think!) :lol:

General Krulak here:

1. Thamutznutz: Are you serious? Do you really think I am going to come onto an open forum...which we already know the media watches like a hawk...and talk about negotiations with our players or talk about what is being said/done at Bodymoor Heath or talk about the status of our Manager????? You can't really expect me to do something like that...seriously. You comment about "buzz word, buzz word"....they may simply be buzz words to you, but they are operational necessities to us. I am on this forum to hear what the Fans have to say and, when possible, respond to what is being said OR to take comments and suggestions forward. I am NOT on here to conduct the Club's business on an open web site. I have clearly stated, do NOT take what is reported in the media as the Gospel!!! I don't know what else to tell you. Obviously, you are not one to take my comments seriously.

2. bogthevillan: I can surely empathize with you and the financial situation you are in...as well as the amount of time that you spend driving to and from the games. YOU are what Fans are like...and why I am on this site. Fans are CRITICAL and I NEVER forget that. I believe we will have a very good run next year...but it is your money and I cannot go out on a limb and tell you to buy a season ticket. Only you can make that decision. I just feel that it will be a good year. As for your second question, Lord Sugar is spot on. At some point, the game of football MUST come to grips with salaries. The NFL did it with a salary cap...which made for a much better league.

Hi General,

I was listening to the radio today and the chairman of Forest Green Rovers (A team in the Blue Square Premier team) had an interesting discussion about the sustainability of their club. I am a Energy Advisor and was interested to listen to what he had to say, and most of it was very basic but very effective in ways of saving the club money, mostly in terms of energy usage.

I was wondering if 'Our' club is doing anything in the way of Energy Saving, and if not, is there anything we as fans could do or, could you/do you need assistance from outside companies to look into ways which Aston Villa could become more self-sustaining with regards to Environmental Sustainability?

Hi General,

I see a newly promoted team in France, Evian, are advertising a friendly against us on Sunday 17th July.

I know being in France it is a fixture that quite a few Villa fans will want to go to; but having checked out the transport, it costs £320 on the train and over £500 to fly there.

Is there any official travel the club would put on such as a coach - although this would take longer I am sure it would be a lot cheaper.

All the best,

Mike

Hi General.

I have a feeling all of the issues will be sorted by midweek. Keeping GH is a MASSIVE risk, but one I will back the club with, as long as he and the board know that the current gaffer has burnt so many bridges, he has a lot to make up for. We are a fickle lot, so a good run in the league and a few cups will do pretty nice!!

Seriously though, we need stability and fast. I have never known a season just gone where it was one disaster after another. I hope the board have learned from this and have a plan to ensure the new season starts fresh and full of hope. Pround History, bright furture. Please - lets not we forget this. Lets turn the lights back on!!

In terms of the issues with the kit last season, is there any chance the club can scrap the usual "hollywood" fashion show and just let us see an image online and a pre order date?

It would be something to look forward to, as I think we have been waiting for one thing or another for a whole season and it still aint finished with the GH health issue.

Thanks for you time.

Hi Gen

Thanks for the reply and again my comments aren't meant to be particularly critical although I can see why they may come across that way. I personally had faith in Houllier and I can see the merits for and against sticking with him at the moment however I do feel it necessary a conclusion is drawn with haste - which I am sure that the club is aware of and that they are doing everything they can to make this happen.

With regards to the media watching this site, I am aware of that, as I mentioned it was me who asked the question that led to the whole £30m on one player story that ended up in the papers. I am not asking for any specifics, really I am not - and I can understand why you would be crazy to give them out as much as we would like to hear them. I suppose I am more asking for something in the middle for example:

"Downing is happy at Villa"

"Bent has expressed no interest in leaving and is fully committed to Aston Villa"

"We are not a selling club and fully intend to replace outgoing players with those of equal or higher quality".

None of these things, if true, would lessen our position for negotiations, nor would they lead to any media issues. If you have said in the past that we are looking to improve, we aren't a selling and that we have a long term plan for improvement. I'm actually not overly worried about the sale of Ashley as I prefer Albrighton and see this as a chance for him to get more games, Downing and Bent leaving however scares the crap out of me! I know the media would tell us the sky was yellow if they thought it would sell papers, but when you only hear one thing, no matter how untrustworthy the source is and nothing to the contrary then it is more than reasonable to believe it has some merit. If you come out and tell me a story in the paper is rubbish I will believe you as you have far more merit - but if they tell me one thing and you don't deny it when it almost seems as though it would be in your interest to do so... well... it's a pretty worrying time!

Again apologies if this seems antagonistic or troublesome, but I am sure you can see why I, and many other fans have this view. I do appreciate all your time and its fantastic you give us this outlet - I do however have one more question/suggestion...

regarding the manager situation - Do you think we will know what the intent it before it is time to renew season tickets and if not, do you think it might be an idea to delay the renewal deadline until we do. I personally know I am hesitant to renew with the uncertainty over our manager coupled with the only transfer speculation being about sales of top players rather than acquisitions. If there are some exciting things in the pipeline (which I realise you can't divulge) might it not be better to allow people to purchase season tickets when they have cause for optimism rather than pessimism? I only mention this as Villa Park has seemed quite empty this year and the atmosphere has suffered as a result...

Again, thanks for being here!

General,

I think the thing that worries the fans is not even so much the answers but the time the answers will be given.

Instead of having an infinite "we'll tell you soon" answer to all the main issues, fans would be much happier if we came out with a statement saying that "Manager situation will be clarified by x of June" or "New sponsors will be announced by end of June" etc. Not having to read rubbish in the press everyday.

This does not give anything sensitive away and settles the fans. Surely deadlines that MUST have been set for Villa to review medical records or conclude prospective sponsor contracts can be shared without damaging anything.

However, when it comes to answering every player negotiation/ speculation I can understand a blanket "no comment" - that's football, players are constantly linked here there and everywhere. You'd be forever answering questions on that one!

But big issues should be given reasonable deadlines, not open ended "soons". Fans want communication, reasonable and undamaging deadlines will achieve that; although I don't promise we'll all understand the final answers!!

Just a qucik plea, and I know that you can't comment too much on things but....

Should we find ourselves in need of a new manager in the next few days - please, please can you appoint somebody willing to try and win the competitions we are involved in - meaning FA, League and UEFA Cup (should we ever manage to get in it again) - playing our best sides.

It'd be nice to win something.