The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General, I'm very serious. I work in higher education at a state university in Birmingham Alabama. I'll buy at Dreamland any time you can make it. Feel free to bring coach Goldfarb and Vinson with you. I've met them there for lunch before.

Will you PM me to set a date?

General

As mentioned on Mediawatch on the AVFC site today, the Daily Mirror report that Glenn Roeder, former Newcastle and West Ham manager among other roles, has been recruited to help us prepare for the final 7 games. According to the full Mirror report, this is by scouting our opponents and preparing technical reports.

This has led to a bit of speculation and I wondered if you could confirm or deny it and clarify Glenn's role if he has one.

Many thanks.

How close are we to gaining a new sponsor for next season? Is our current predicament in the league causing a problem with this, and if so, will this affect the release dates of the two brand new strips that will be released for next season?

At a time when some clubs are already making plans to reveal next seasons kit, do we have rought dates expected when we will do similar?

General as one of those that turned up for the singalongavilla on Monday and watching the video a thought cropped up. In the old days after each line of the bells and ringing some used to chant 'Clarrie Blue, Clarrie Blue'(and some did on Monday too)

This name was given in the 60's to the cartoon Villan used by the club. There were badges etc where this character was adopted for. Could the club give a thought to reviving this image of the villain?

I know it is used by one of our rival websites but this image is related strongly to the club and the song

Cheers

as seen here see top left page 2

General as one of those that turned up for the singalongavilla on Monday and watching the video a thought cropped up. In the old days after each line of the bells and ringing some used to chant 'Clarrie Blue, Clarrie Blue'(and some did on Monday too)

This name was given in the 60's to the cartoon Villan used by the club. There were badges etc where this character was adopted for. Could the club give a thought to reviving this image of the villain?

I know it is used by one of our rival websites but this image is related strongly to the club and the song

Cheers

Agree with this post, I've also thought that in previous years/decades we've promoted Clarrie Blue possibly more than any other club. The badges were until very, very recently still on sale by the club. Bring C&B back!

Cheers

Just for ease of seeing the cartoon in question, here's a colour version, I think this might be a slightly updated 70s version.

villain.gif

Hi General,

I know there's not a lot the club can do about this, but i think its worth bringing to your attention anyway.

It seems the clubs strenuous efforts in getting people to Villa Park on Sunday has been scuppered once again by Network rail, whom have decided that no trains will be running to Witton or Aston on Sunday!!

Now i know they will say that its for maintenance issues, but this seems to happen very frequently when Villa play at Home, with even trains being cancelled or delayed when they are running.

My point is, will the club be looking at Network Rail to remedy the loss in revenue, the club will loose, due to their third world attitude?

What can the club do in situations like this, to get people to Villa Park?

Hi General,

I would like to echo the above post. It's going to be an absolute pain for those of us that have to travel from other parts of the country too (along with local supporters). Is there any way that this can be resolved at all? Lots of us go through New Street Station to get to VP and this just adds to the journey. I am sure that many people may just not bother going to the match now. I will try to get there myself but this really is something we could all do without.

Sorry General, but may i add a postscript to my above post?

I have asked one of Network Rail's employees about this, and his answer was stunningly stupid.

He said there would be trains on Sunday, however......they will not be stopping at Aston or Witton!!

Reason???

To ease congestion on the trains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to use this thread to respond to another poster, but the disruption is not due to "maintenance" or anything like that, it's due to ASLEF train drivers for London Midland trains being on strike. They have been doing this for the past two months, every sunday. If anyone wants boring with the details, PM me.

General can you ask a couple of questions that have been doing the rounds regarding 'The Anthem'?

Those of us that went down to be recorded, to be part of the event, sang the old version to 'Me and My Gal' tune , as was on the vids on the official site.

Can you explain why the final version bore no resemblance to what we actually wanted as our anthem?

There has been some suggestion it was down to copyright/royalties but it seems the tune is now so old it is in the public domain.

Why was it not made clear earlier a 'new' tune would be used?

General,

Great day at Villa Park today - however there was only one gripe, that song that was played was awful! I watched the fan version on You Tube at it was far superior, the version played on the video screens was an embarassment! Please use the fan version in future!

Hi General,

I'm a little bemused about the whole anthem thing to be honest, in the near 30 years I've been going to games I have to say our lack of an anthem never bothered me all that much. I always welcomed your response on the subject when asked that if fans wanted an anthem it was down to them not the club. Yet now it seems the club are trying to engineer an anthem and according to the posts above even change the one the some of the fans had wanted.

Can I ask what has changed? Why the sudden need to create an anthem and are the posters correct in their suggestion that the tune has been changed and if so why? How does this sit with your previous stance on this subject?

General Krulak here:

1. FIRST AND FOREMOST, thanks to all the Fans who came to the game and gave such great support to the lads. Everyone in the dressing room was talking about the noise and the overwhelming sense that the Fans were behind them. YOU ALL DID GREAT!!!!

2. I am not sure what happened re. the recording...I will have to check it out. I hope it was not a copywrite issue....that would be a real downer. I have sent the UTube version to all my Yank friends and they love it.

3. Birmingham: You pm me with name and number....it would be great to spread the Villa to this, the sister city of the GREAT B'ham England.

4. The game...a HUGE win. Not the prettiest I have seen but I doubt if we have had a more important game since Randy and I arrived. My sense was that our lads were pretty nervous at the beginning but they played hard and I thought Petrov made a big difference in this one. Now we just need to win a few more.

5. As most of you know, I have taken the position as President of Birmingham-Southern College in B'ham, Alabama. I will be on the site AT LEAST once a week...and I have asked a couple of people at the Club to check the site daily and email me any issues I need to get to Randy, etc. I am still with you!!!!! I WILL be on the site. :flag:

General, I'd just like to second the above about the church bells. A first I thought it reminded me of a funeral, but on reflection it creates an intimidating atmosphere about the place for the away team, something which has been lacking for a while. The 'victory' bells at the end were good as well.