The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General Krulak here.

1. bebbo75: If I were in that situation, I would go out and PROVE the Manager wrong! I sure as hell would not "fold." De-motivated? Nope, I would go out and show the Manager and the world what sort of team I was part of.

2. jackbauer24: I would imagine that if we won the League next year...or was in the top 4....that Fans would warm up to the Manager. In fact, if the Fans saw definite improvement, they would warm up. The place in the tables has ALSO had an impact on how the Manager is perceived by the Fans...it is not just the other things that might be a problem.

3. villajax: "When we get relegated"....I can't accept that. We have games to go! I am NOT going to talk about "when." What sort of Director comes onto an open web site and talks about "when". NO WAY! We have games to go and games we will win!!

4. deeps: I have been selected as the 13th President of Birmingham-Southern College...one of the best Liberal Arts College in the US. My allegiance to the Club and Fans will remain...I will continue to post and will get to see games.

General Krulak here.

4. deeps: I have been selected as the 13th President of Birmingham-Southern College...one of the best Liberal Arts College in the US. My allegiance to the Club and Fans will remain...I will continue to post and will get to see games.

Good luck with it all General!

General,

Given that you have stated that the manager is not on the pitch and that players know how to play the game and that bad form is down to players not chasing, marking etc. What would you therefore say in training and on match days the role of the manager actually is? and do you think that we may be missing a trick and could save 3 million pound a year by not actually having one?

Mark

General Krulak here.

2. jackbauer24: I would imagine that if we won the League next year...or was in the top 4....that Fans would warm up to the Manager.

Dear General,

If we win the league next season I will gladly kiss Mr. Houlliers boots in front of a sold out villa park whilst dressed in only a pink tutu and ballerina costume.

Please feel free to hold me to this.

Interesting watching the game today General - 3 of our players and 1 former player shone today - amazing what a different manager who gets us can get out of players.

Today Bent and Young showed the level of performance and professionalism that you expect from them for Villa.

Why is this so? Why is it that under Capello in less than a week they have managed to achieve this? Whilst under Houllier they are unable to?

How much longer can we continue to blame the players?

Hi General,

Nice work for being the 13th President of Birmingham-Southern College - good luck with it all?

For whatever the reason is and I can go into a few reasons but I wont the players are obviously not performing on the pitch.

With an " excellent squad of players" Would there be any any chance that you could come over for a game and give an inspirational team talk (training ground or before game) and hopefully get them to play excellent. I really feel that this could help in a time when we need it most. Your experience, knowledge and general whoop ass football attitude is needed....?

Pretty please...!

Thanks again for listening to the fans!

Hi General,

I want to try and make this post as sincere but also professional as possible. Like many others I am pretty downbeat about our performances and our manager, and how the combination of both has put us in the position we are in. But I want to put this point across in a sensible manner, using the game against Wolves as a clear example of our predicament.

A couple of posts ago, you talked about the fans going out and supporting the team, that pointing fingers and moaning won't do any good and the only way to help the team turn a corner is to cheer our club on with 100% passion. I couldn't agree more. I do believe that on a match day, the negativity coming from the crowd will do little to change the situation. Occasionally it can give them a kick up the backside, but not when confidence is as low as it is now. The lads need encouragement, not criticism.

But what needs to be understood is that this is difficult for the fans. Not just because we know we can be doing better, and that we should be doing better. But because we are seeing absolutely no passion, commitment or support for the team coming from our manager.

Of course we don't know what happens behind closed doors. I'm choosing to ignore the rumours of bans on talking, cellphones, etc, and leave them to be rumours. But what we can see if Gerard Houllier's attitude whilst he is on the touchline. And his attitude is appauling.

Take the example of our game against Wolves (I'm not sure if you were there or not, but I was). In the last five minutes, the linesman got injured and had to be replaced, resulting in a brief lull in play. With five minutes to go, the score still at 0-1, and we've just hit the bar, you'd think there is all to play for still.

Mick McCarthy called about eight of his players over, and started giving them instructions. He wanted his players to know exactly how they should play in the last five minutes of that game to get themselves a huge result in their fight for survival. That passion and leadership would have filled those players with such confidence that they eventually did get themselves three vital points.

Compare that to Gerard Houllier. He did not move from his seat. He had no intention of telling his players how to try and break down the Wolves defence and get ourselves a goal back, if not two. As such, our players just stood around the pitch, hands on hips, not even talking amongst themselves.

It was clear we had problems. In those last five minutes we seemed happy to launch balls from back to front, despite Richard Stearman and Christophe Berra winning nearly every header for the previous 85 minutes. It was a tactic that was never going to get an equaliser. We would have stood more chance getting the ball out wide, to our best crossers, and putting in more accurate and testing balls.

It would seem that Houllier was then satisfied with the way his team were playing. A manager should rarely be satisfied with his team. He should always be looking at ways to improve, to get better performances and better results. But not our manager, not judging by the way he sat in his seat, not interested in rallying his troops to push for a draw or a win. And it showed on the pitch.

So it's fine to tell the fans to get behind the team, it's entirely right to do so. It's the best thing we can do to try and support our team. But it is difficult when our manager shows no sign of doing it himself. Gerard Houllier showed no desire to try and get something out of those last five minutes. As such the players showed no desire. So why should the fans? Support is a two way street. The players and manager need the support of the fans to play their best, but if we see no desire, passion, commitment, then we the fans find it very difficult to support the team.

We have real problems General. And it starts with the manager. So if we the fans are going to do our part to support the team, maybe it's necessary for someone to tell Gerard Houllier to start doing the same. Even if it's just for show, so that fans actually believe we have a manager who is caring for the club. Maybe then, we'll start seeing a more positive atmosphere on matchdays.

Best wishes,

J

Hi General,

I think we need someone to look into the way that AVTV subscriptions are cancelled.

I subscribed for the '99p for 14 days' offer back in January. I made sure that I cancelled my subscription on the 13th day, to ensure that I wasn't automatically charged £4.99 for the next month. I have now realised, 2 months later, that I have been charged £4.99 twice!

I cancelled my subscription AGAIN and it, again, still let me watch videos on AVTV. I have now had to email the customer service team to get my subscription cancelled.

Also, to my dissatisfaction, I was told that I could not have my previous 2 months refunded (even though I haven't logged into AVTV since the 14-day-trial).

This is a really poor service and will leave other Villa fans unhappy. I think the system should be revised, so that you actually get an email confirmation - so that IF you aren't unsubscribed correctly, people will at least be able to get their money back.

Rant over, thanks Gen.

Good luck with Houllier/ whatever is decided.

I'm behind the club, whoever is in charge.

Rob

General,

As you have been a leader and a soldier in battle, how would you feel if a general sent his troops out to fight underprepared and de-motivated? And when questioned about his behaviour, blamed those same troops for the failure to win the battle, and punished them for it. It wouldn't be much surprise if those troops lost a lot more battles, and many of them wanted to leave their regiment.

Would it?

Hi General,

I think we need someone to look into the way that AVTV subscriptions are cancelled.

Agree entirely with this post General, I have tried to cancel mine 2 or 3 times and it doesn't cancel the subscription through the site.. luckily however I have since changed my mind and will continue the subscription for a while yet but it still needs a look at if possible, thanks.

General Sir can you please ring Sir Alex Ferguson and tell him that he has had no influence on any of the many trophies that Man Utd have won over the 20 odd years that he has been their manager. I think I can have a guess at the answer you will recieve.

And do you think that defending the wholly incompetent record held by our manager in his time at our beloved club and blaming the players on the pitch is going to help our relegation battle? Or have you been spending too much time with Mr Houllier when he has taught you all he knows about how to disrespect the loyal fanbase.

Hi General,

I subscribed for the '99p for 14 days' offer back in January. I made sure that I cancelled my subscription on the 13th day, to ensure that I wasn't automatically charged £4.99 for the next month. I have now realised, 2 months later, that I have been charged £4.99 twice!

I cancelled my subscription AGAIN and it, again, still let me watch videos on AVTV. I have now had to email the customer service team to get my subscription cancelled.

Also, to my dissatisfaction, I was told that I could not have my previous 2 months refunded (even though I haven't logged into AVTV since the 14-day-trial).

This is a really poor service and will leave other Villa fans unhappy. I think the system should be revised, so that you actually get an email confirmation - so that IF you aren't unsubscribed correctly, people will at least be able to get their money back.

Rob

I had the same problem. I cancelled it with in the time, but they kept taking money off me. Only when I contact customer services did they cancel it for me. They refused to give me a refund. I continued to email them regarding this, and they never once then responded to another email. As it was only £10 or something that they had taken off me, eventually I just gave up which I assume was what they hoped for.

They've known about this problem for some while, I cancelled twice before Christmas and it never worked so I emailed the club to tell them that I couldn't cancel my AVTV although I had tried twice, both times it said I had cancelled my subscription, but they still took money from my account and the AVTV didn't infact cancel at all.

I said in the email that they need to take a look as to why it wouldn't cancel correctly on the site so it wouldn't happen to other people, they replyed telling me that my subscription had been cancelled and they would look into it.

Almost 4 months on and it's still not been sorted out...That's really bad for a multimillion pound business.