The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General, today James Collins has passed a fitness test to play for Wales against England in a Euro qualifier. How can he be not fit to face Wolves but after a day off on match day with no training at all be fit to face England? Surely this is yet ANOTHER sign that ANOTHER player does not want to play for Gerard Houllier in a huge and vital game. How are you backing him? Not one player is! Barely any fans left are!

What is your view on James Collins suddenly becoming fit to play? Will Dunne magically be fit to play for the Republic Of Ireland too?

WHAT IS GOING ON?????

General,

Please do the team talks. I think the players might actually be motivated to go out and win, or at least show some fight. I don't think I've ever seen so many gutless performances in one season.

Thanks.

Hello General,

It is respectable that the club has made a commitment to GH, and that at the end of the day GH is a decent man with good intentions, and that the club is standing by the man they put their faith into. It reflects positively on the club- to a degree. At some point the club needs to set aside personal affection and look at things more critically, and understand the gravity of the situation.

What we are confronted with now is the brutality of the relegation system. The Cleveland Browns can finish in last place every year and stay securely in the NFL. If Villa are relegated, it would CRIPPLE the club for years!

The new "5 Year Plan" would be how to get back up.......

The situation is dire. When NESV took over Liverpool, they were burdened with a similar problem: An affable manager with past successes who was in over his head and not up to the job. NESV took action, and now Liverpool are challenging for a place in Europe.

It's a harsh business with little room for personal loyalty. And I know you don't need a lesson from ME about it, but I know I'm speaking for most supporters when I say that it is clear that Houllier needs to go, otherwise the whole dream we all took to heart when Randy took over will be shot to hell.

If the board decides to replace GH and we still get relegated, supporters will say "At least they made an effort there at the end to keep us up."

If the board decides to hold onto GH and we get relegated....

There is really only one option here.

general, the next 48 hours for villa are unbelievably important. as much as i think houllier is going to be very good for us moving forward, itll mean nothing if we're in the championship next season. if we get rid of him, who's immediately available for the next game in 2 weeks time? martin jol would be top of my list, but then does he have the experience fighting relegation with a group of players who dont look particularly arsed at the moment? in terms of the future, he'd be a good shout, but then so is houllier imo. then you've got someone like allardyce who would probably keep us up, but turn us into a horrendously antifootball team again if kept for any length of time. i doubt theres going to be anyone at a club right now who'll down tools and join us until they know what league we're going to be in next season.

as it stands we've got 8 games left, and a point a game would probably be enough to keep us up with a bit of luck, but you can pretty much write off the last 2 games of the season given current form. that means 6 games to get 8+ points. given the teams we play against, its certainly more than doable, but if the dressing room has been lost then you can't really see some of the players caring enough. would a change of manager reinvigorate them and make them play knowing that they might be able to keep themselves at the club, or has the damage been done and they know theyre going to leave in summer anyway?

i think what needs to happen tomorrow, is that 3 seperate meetings are called. the first between lerner, houllier and his staff to find out whats going so wrong. that needs to be followed up immediately with a confidential meeting between lerner and the playing staff, free of coaches, reprimands for speaking out and with guaranteed anonymity from the coaching staff for any players who give their opinion. that needs to be followed up with another meeting with the coaching staff to discuss the overall feel within the dressing room. if the players think houllier cant keep them up then there's only one option unfortunately. this isnt a decision that can be taken without speaking to the players directly.

there's not really much time for mucking about either. whatever is decided needs to be decided asap, and we need to get planning for the next 2 months

The only way the club can bring the players, the board and the supporters together is by sacking the manager, end of. That banner that was unveiled on Saturday shows this to be true. Although i dont agree with it before the game, i agreed with the sentiments.

Its driving me to dispare the lack of action. If we somehow survive(which for the first time in 22 years of following Villa, i dont, YES THATS HOW BAD THINGS ARE) i pray he's still not here next season.

Gen,

You words are wise and some might agree with some points me being one of them. Players should show pride etc however if the man who is directing you cannot motivate you then its going to be impossible to do so.

GH has has 25 PL games, hes won 6! 6! That is disgusting! KMAC halfed that many wins in 6 games! And GH is supposed to be the man to take us forward? Gen we have gone more than backwards. If we go down (which I think we will) we will not come back to the PL we will go in Limbo, much like Randys bank account. I was behind GH for some time, swallowed a lot of my pride after Liverpool and Man Cityx2 to stick with him but now I just don't see what hes done for us that is positive. Besides the Blackburn win at home in the PL we have look terrible in all our other wins and in most case just about won!

David Moyes lost one of his better players in Jan, didn't replace him, they were below us, now look. GH bought one of the best strikers in this country..... Look where we are. I will not take it as 'it will take time' the whole country thinks its a joke we are where we are, not just Villa fans.

The board needs to cut off the grapes and grow a pair. Serious Gen I see a serious backlash if he is in charge come the Everton game.

Morning General,

Many words have been written here since Saturday, some elequent, some in anger, some considered, some rousing, and all passionate. The undoubted mood of Villa fans seems to be unanimous for once, and not just the few who post on these message boards, but among the majority at the game, and out "there" in the Villa world. You, (the board) can be in no doubt how we, the fans, feel at the moment. Now, I dont know Randy or even claim to, but I am guessing as a succesfull business man he doesnt let short term pressure affect his thinking, and wont consider caving in to fan opinion to get rid of GED for many reasons. That may or not be the correct decision, only the next few weeks will tell that, I have always been a pragmatist and a believer in "we are where we are", and while your words were fine and inspiring I cant see that that mentality currently exists among a squad who have no sense of team, seem disjointed and apart from thier manager and clueless about how to play what is a relatively simple game. Simply put, I cant see how a manger who does not appear to have the squad with him can pull us back from the brink, your words are fine and yes, a squad shoudl fight together, but ours at the moment simply isnt...but the board have made a decision, and we must live with its consequences. On June 1st I would love to send you a message saying "Phew!, sorry for doubting you folks, now to next season" and I hope I can. You have sent men into combat and the pressure of this decision is little by comparison, but it means so much to so many of us.

Oh, I need to ask a question to ward off the mods.....Does US doctrine still dictate that there should be an ability to fight a 2 front war? with lack of budgets ATM, and the growing need to replace heavy equipment in the US forces (esp. the USAF), will this not place an even heavier strain on already shrinking resources?

Ta!

General Krulak here:

1. I am going to say something as a Fan, not as a member of the Board...of course the media cannot seem to tell the difference. I spent 35+ years in the Marine Corps and went to war three times. Now I know the Forces are not football so please bear with me. When my Marines put on their uniforms and the emblem of the Corps and went into battle and things got tough, the did not fight for their Commander, they fought for their brothers-in-arms...the men wearing their uniform and emblem. When a player puts on a kit and wears the Club badge, I would expect the same. We have VERY good lads who know how to play with passion. We have all seen them do it and have cheered them on. They are professionals who have given 110% in many games. What we need now is to quit pointing fingers and everyone look at the Claret and Blue of our kit and the badge they are wearing and go out and kick the crap out of the next teams we play until the end of the season!!! That may seem simplistic but that is how I have been raised. At the end of the day, they are on the Pitch and they can do it....do it for the uniform on their backs and the badge on their breast and the Fans in the stands! That is how I feel in my heart. I believe they can do it! YOU all can help by cheering them on...let them know that they represent a great and glorious Club. UP THE VILLA.

In this paragraph you have put across a strength of feeling that GH simply does not have for this club. Perhaps you should visit the dresing room before the games?

Our last home game is against Liverpool. We may have to win it to stay up. Can the club seriously consider the allowing the potential scenario whereby we are relegated by a team whom our manager loves more than our own?

I like to think that Villa fans are generally good people, but I fear serious trouble at this game if things pan out as they could. The fans HATE Houllier, and these emotions could overspill into something more at home across the City. And that would be bad for everyone.

General I realise that all you can really do in a thread like this is to try and placate the fans as much as possible, whilst also refraining from posting anything that could be picked up in the media.

To this effect, is it really worth entertaining any questions on Houllier?

Could I suggest that the club issue a statement that will inform us of the boards intentions towards Houllier? Whilst the fans can still sniff that there may be blood to be had, they'll continue with their vocal protests against him. Therefore, the only chance of getting the fans onside for the remainder of the season is if they can see that their protestations will be falling of deaf ears.

UTV

General Krulak here:

1. I am going to say something as a Fan, not as a member of the Board...of course the media cannot seem to tell the difference. I spent 35+ years in the Marine Corps and went to war three times. Now I know the Forces are not football so please bear with me. When my Marines put on their uniforms and the emblem of the Corps and went into battle and things got tough, the did not fight for their Commander, they fought for their brothers-in-arms...the men wearing their uniform and emblem. When a player puts on a kit and wears the Club badge, I would expect the same. We have VERY good lads who know how to play with passion. We have all seen them do it and have cheered them on. They are professionals who have given 110% in many games. What we need now is to quit pointing fingers and everyone look at the Claret and Blue of our kit and the badge they are wearing and go out and kick the crap out of the next teams we play until the end of the season!!! That may seem simplistic but that is how I have been raised. At the end of the day, they are on the Pitch and they can do it....do it for the uniform on their backs and the badge on their breast and the Fans in the stands! That is how I feel in my heart. I believe they can do it! YOU all can help by cheering them on...let them know that they represent a great and glorious Club. UP THE VILLA.

General,

I sincerely appreciate those sentiments but with nearly five years experience of dealing with professional football, do you truly believe in them? Unfortunately, I just don't feel that the modern footballer thinks this way at all. When your Marines put on their uniform, they weren't doing so in the knowledge that regardless of how well they did their job they would still be collecting £50,000+ at the end of every week. Fans like battle analogies because its puts us in the right frame of mind for the fight ahead - and we're in a hell of a fight right now - and under other regimes I may have been inclined to believe some of the rhetoric would filter through all of the bling and ignite something in enough of the players that would inspire change. That's not happening at all right now.

Instead, we are witnessing a selection of highly-pampered individuals go through the motions until some real guidance emerges from the leadership. For them, the consequences are not at all grave; they are rich and will continue getting richer regardless of final scores and league positions. I honestly don't know how you produce a work ethic from anybody so vastly rewarded but that's another conversation entirely.

What we are increasingly aware of is the fact that other clubs with lesser quality among their squads are outfighting us on a weekly basis. I don't believe that we have a roster of players so extravagantly less personally motivated or ambitious than all of the other clubs around us so their listless performances over the course of the season have to be attributed to something. For all of the frustrations that Martin O'Neill's tenure produced, a lack of fight was rarely, if ever, something we could criticise the team for. This is the same basic group of players so it is not exactly difficult to pinpoint where the fault for this change in mentality is coming from; the new leadership (or lack thereof).

Without a strong manager, the players can NOT be trusted to simply do it for the uniform. In this day and age, they won't. They weren't raised like that, they don't think like that and they certainly don't play like that. I wish they did but too much evidence has been seen to the contrary to argue otherwise. If they did play for the badge, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. Continue putting your faith alone in the professional pride of the modern Premier League footballer and you will get badly burned.

I stated in a post to you on Saturday that I believed Mr. Houllier's position had become untenable. He has gone beyond the stage of simply being divisive; I think this past couple of weeks has united virtually every supporter in opposition to him and a football club cannot function in any form, let alone a league as competitive as this, with a fanbase that feels totally and utterly alienated by the club's most prominent figurehead. I'd like to say that we're all in this together but at present the fans are feeling completely disconnected from the team, unable to affect any kind of response from the players. With all of the subsequent furore, many may forget that the atmosphere at the outset of Saturday's game was actually very good. The stadium felt alive and the team can have no complaints of not being urged on. The supporters only turned in the wake of the inexplicable decisions made by Mr. Houllier throughout, gradually becoming more and more poisonous. We know this isn't doing anybody any good, least of all the image of the club we love. But protest is the only course of action available to us and Saturday's reaction will seem like little more than a minor tremor compared to what will be forthcoming if Mr. Houllier takes us down. I implore you, Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner to seize this window of opportunity between fixtures to replace him, re-unite the club with the supporters so that we can hopefully galvanise and ready ourselves for the remaining eight games. These matches will be the biggest and most important of Mr. Lerner's stewardship and we cannot approach them as we have been during the bulk of the previous thirty or we will not prevail.

Thank you.

Hi General,

I don't think the board see the gravity of the situation we find ourselves in. There have been games this season such as Sunderland, Man City, Wolves etc where I don't think I have ever seen such awful, dire, lack of passion, gutless and embarrassing performances. Mark my words General, if this continunes we WILL go down. Their is something fundamentally wrong at the club and as much as I want Houllier to succeed, we dont have the time. There will be a backlash if this is allowed to continue.

General Krulak here:

Hi General

I agree, but were flogging I dead horse with these people imo. Its how football is. Its becoming clear that 'few' footballers (not just at Villa of course) actually care about the club and fans. Maybe they don't get paid enough eh? :winkold: , but thats a different matter.

What I would like to ask is to do with our youth system - which infact could help to create the environment you describe above.

I read alot about our youth system, and it reads very well. However, although weve had some good results from youth (especially this season), Im yet to be blown away by anyone thats come through.

Now obv the aim is the top.........................but

As a fan, how far do you actually see our youth system taking us in the next five years?

Cheers

Woodytom

General

I am disgusted to wake up this morning and see that Houllier is still in a job. I have Baggies and Wolves fans laughing at me, for the first time I have no response other than 'were going down' with Houllier in charge were already waving the white flag.

General nice words, can you tell me what do you think the role of a manager of a football club is?

The words you have used would suggest one is not needed, and to be honest with Houllier I would rather have no one but that is besides the point. So tell me what you think a manager should do ?

In addition do you think the fans are turning General ?

General

I am disgusted to wake up this morning and see that Houllier is still in a job. I have Baggies and Wolves fans laughing at me, for the first time I have no response other than 'were going down' with Houllier in charge were already waving the white flag.

Completely agree! Although I think that white flag has been waving for the last month now.

General, does the following stats bother you at all? It makes me cringe to sum up just how poor Houllier has done!

Premier League Season 10/11 Manager Win Percentages:

Gerard Houllier = 24%

Kevin MacDonald = 40%

Just remember that Kevin MacDonald also had Villa keeping cleansheets and we were unbeaten at home!

Please give Kevin MacDonald the job he rightfully deserves!!!!

General

I read in the Birmingham Mail that Gerard Houllier is telling Villa fans to "support the team".

You probably know from this thread the immense passion that most fans have for the team. I have been supporting the Villa through thick and (it seems mostly) thin since the early 1960s.

I do not appreciate lectures from a recently-arrived manager about the need to support the team, particularly since he has within a few months taken the club perilously close to relegation, and has generaly shown little interest in or empathy with the fans and has appeared to disrespect them on a number of occasions.