The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General I was wondering how to get through to the Villa media department? - I have tried the Contact Us part of the website but I get the 'OOPS and 404' error message - problem is I cancelled my subscription to the iPhone/iPod app months ago yet its still taking the monthly fee.

Cheers.

My son and I are season ticket holders in the lower Doug Ellis (near halfway line) and the speaker system there has been pretty crap for a number of seasons. The whole system needs a overhaul and bringing into the 21st Century.

Hi General,

As a season ticket holder for many years, who attends with his 2 children (aged 5 and 10), also season ticket holders, could you please explain to us what Aston Villa Football Club expect to win next, or at least compete in?

From when i first started to watch football i used to dream of my team winning the F.A Cup, from 9am of cup final day watching the coverage, looking on in envy and my children are the same now. The youngest playing his PS3, trying his best to win it, playing in the garden against teams like Brighton, working his way to the final.

If Aston Villa Football Club is not going to compete in the FA Cup anymore if we draw some team deemed as "better than us", realistically we're not going to win the league or challenge the top 4/5, what exactly are we aiming for?

I've booked my Everton tickets and reserved my travel for West Ham, so my commitment is there, i believe we can win those games, does the manager? Or will i be wasting more of my money and time off?

Sorry to rant General, but i've had 2 weeks now to chill out about the F.A Cup game we threw and i'm still mightly p****d off..

Hi General,

I hear people say that this is a season of transition, which it may well be (I live in hope). However, with the continious loss of our best players, the off field problems aswell as the onfield issues and the losses recorded by the club. Do you still feel that this is a season of transition or do you feel that as a club we have taken a long backward step?

Here's to a very welcome 3 points tomorrow for everybodies sake! Thanks General. UTV.

General Krulak here:

1. AngelGabriel: Try calling AVFC ext 122.

2. Speaker System: The Club knows it is a problem. We have sunk quite a significant amount of money into it to get it back to snuff. We will not be replacing the entire system until we start the N. stand renovation. It just does not make fiscal sense to put a entirely new system in only to have to rip parts out.

3. bebbo75: I think I have said about all I can say about the FA Cup issue. If I say more, both you and I will be on the front page of every paper in the UK.

4. Mantis...I will not be there but Randy should be there. This is a HUGE game...and with some of our injuries in the back, we are really going to have to be strong across the Pitch.

Dear General,

apologies for the slightly abstract post, but I hope it makes sense and you share my view on this.

I'm sure an ideal scenario for everyone associated with Aston Villa is that Villa Park is sold out every week. The obvious benefits are there for everyone to see; better atmosphere, better support, greater merchandise sales, greater food sales etc. Currently, the way that this is tackled is to classify a game as a certain level and then lower prices / add special deals closer to the time of the game depending on demand. The problem with this is obviously the very fine balancing act between getting enough people in against selling yourself cheaply against setting too many precedents, and I assume it can be very difficult to get it right for some games.

I'd like to compare how we sell tickets with car transmissions (stay with me). At the moment we are like a conventional manual transmission. We keep the ratio of the gear constant and stay in 4th gear while we're going up a hill (£40 / ticket). If the hill is steeper than we thought (we're not attracting the sales we expected) then we can change down into 3rd (£30 / ticket). By that time we've lost a lot of speed and may even need to change down to 2nd gear (2 for 1, family specials). A bigger game may be compared to a less steep hill, we're we may just be able to power up it staying in 4th all the way and still keep the speed (sales).

The problems with the above are obvious, the gear ratio constants are not dynamic enough. So we just need to change a constant around. A different type of transmission is called a CVT (continuously variable transmission), where the constant is not the gear ratio, it's moved to be the engine RPM. That way you can set the engine up to more efficiently run at a certain RPM and then just vary the gear ratio to make the car go faster or slower. The hill is tackled easier because you don't have to make big changes, you're varying the most efficient part to get the maximum out.

So I got to thinking about how AVFC should change the constant for ticket sales. If we say that we will now make constant the attendance rather than the price, and we say that we will have 41,000 people in every game, you make the ticket price continuously variable. In effect, my suggestion is just to turn sales on their head and do it the other way round – use natural market forces to maximise your return on sales per week and get a full attendance. The easiest method for doing this is to pre-allocate every seat each game, and allow anyone with a login and a client reference to 'bid' on the seat with the price falling the closer it gets to the game. Clients set what the maximum price they will pay for a seat and as the prices fall as time moves on, you will automatically get a full attendance and the maximum sale price return. Add in an automatic reduction scaler based on the average maximum pledges (very easy algorithm) and you get even closer to the magical 100% efficient ROI. You get the full attendance without having to second-guess the demand as demand takes care of itself.

Hope this has come out as clear as it is in my head. Probably not though. If you'd like a proposal then please let me know.

General

Just like to pass on thanks to Helen at the ticket office over the phone today, she managed to put me some tickets to one side for the game from the lower holte, successfully get them there for kick off and very speedily got off of the phone, she managed to do all of this during what was quite obviously the one week of the month she shouldn't be working.

General, if any other man at any organization did not get results, would they still be in a job? Not a chance.

What has seriously happened to this football club? We used to fight for each other on the field - passion, glory. Where is it now?

General

After hearing the fans displeasure today surely Mr Houllier's days are numbered

We look a complete and utter shambles and i look forward to watching Villa with you in the coca cola championship next season if we persist with this clown.

I take it you still think Houllier is doing an "remarkable" job General? We need to get rid of this clueless idiot TODAY, not tommorow, NOW. Randy is going to be known as the only chairman to get us relegated from the Premier League unless he acts TODAY, our club is being dragged into the Championship and i'm sick of it.

General, if you think this is good enough for Aston Villa football club then you're at the wrong club.

Aiming for the top four - don't make me laugh. You were warned back in December that Houllier had lost the fans and if you had listened then we might not be staring the Championship in the face.

Surely you and Randy realise this just isn't good enough????

Wake up Villa.

I've supported Houllier through the tough times, but this is one straw too many. The teams below us have the ability to battle installed in them, and unity. We do not have this under Houllier, it is clear how the players feel the same. Even the young ones must be angry with some of his decisions. Bring back Kev Mac for the rest of the season. Advise to get rid now please General, we should be doing much better with the same squad as last year (bar Milner) and good new additions.