The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

Hope you are keeping well. Not normally one to come and post here in order to moan but last nate was one of the most disappointing I have ever had as a villa fan. I gave up my season ticket of 10 years at the start of the year, mainly because I was falling out of love with football.

I've been to 3 games this season and the last I watched was against Blackburn. I was starting to be won round again and got a little of the bug back - we had a big, what seemed winnable, cup tie coming up and me and my pals were planning the games we were going to get tickets for in the event of us progressing (with a chance of a wembley ticket in mind).

Then we go and do that. I think we have to see the bigger picture here. Not onlu have we lost the last chance of a trophy this season but I think we have lost fans. Houllier has, in one swoop, lost the little bit of credibility he was starting to establish. The most amazing thing is that his selection is completely and utterly unexplainable. The team has had 2 weeks off. The looked fresh and raring to go against Blackburn and, whilst we were robbed of the chance of ever knowing, looked like we could beat a mancity team who we turned over a little more than a month ago.

I wont be back at VP this season. Just gutted. Maybe next season we can remember that fotball is about winning trophies, not finishung tenth in the league.

Thanks for listening.

Good Evening General, or afternoon depending on which country your in.

As we know some staff of AVFC read your thread to help you keep on top of fans concerns. My question is does Mr. Learner read your thread ever?

If not how often would you speak to him? When your thread has an influx of comments concerning one issue would he have a look for himself or would you communicate the concerns of the fans.

Basically will Mr. Learner know the a large percentage of fans would have been very upset at the team selection and almost a throwing in of the towel at the game yesterday and would there be a meeting with the manager to get his thoughts on the subject via scheduled meetings or necessary meetings.

You may share the view that we did not throw in the towel, but you have to agree that we could have put out a stronger team..

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, hope you have a great day.

Chef

Can I add my thoughts as well General. Firstly Happy Birthday !

Why did I spend £££s supporting Villa in earlier rounds of the FA Cup to have our Manager throw in the towel before kick off last night when we had a really good chance of getting to Wembley again after such a dire season.

Mr Houllier's post match interview made my blood boil and was a disgrace. The team he chose was an insult to Villa fans. I am now seriously considering not renewing my season ticket and those of my two children if he is still in charge after this season.

His actions this season on several occasions have never made me so angry as a Villa fan.

Hi General,

Occasional poster, continued thanks for your presence here.

I'm as unhappy as my fellow supporters about the performance at City. I have supported Villa thru thick and thin for 37 years now, have had season tickets, have spent many, many thousands following Villa all over the country from London, and now I dont htink I can anymore. Dont get me wrong, its not the Liverpool thing, its not the spineless performances early in GED's reign, its not the bizarre team/position selections, its not even all about the selection on Weds. General, what has finally made me question my spending so much cash on villa is this from our manager:

"I understand where they are coming from but I don't think we could have beaten Manchester City today."

A direct quote by "our" manager...heres my question General...if our manager cant be bothererd, and is going to go into a game with a defeatist attitude, and undoubtledly transmit this to the players as well, why then should I continue to spend many thousands of pounds, which I can ill afford on an average salary in the current climate, following this team?

Thanks, and have a great birthday!

General,

After Stephen Ireland' disgraceful comments in the press today and his insult to the city and people of Birmingham, is the club considering disciplinary action when he returns from his loan spell with Newcastle? Was there a buyout clause attached to his loan contract so he does'nt have to come back and waste any moe of our time? The club should refuse to pay his obscene wages as he does'nt actually want to be here. At £ 65,000 a week, that is a disgraceful figure for such a disgusting character. Whoever agreed to pay him this at the club should be fired.

General Krulak here:

1. I am sorry I have been off the site for a day but had a medical issue. First and foremost I want all to know that I have read and digested every comment made. I will probably not successfully answer every point because the same theme runs throughout. Let me first say that every single comment made has been read by those who need to read them...and understand the concern of the Fans. No comment has been deleted or edited by me. There is obviously much discontent by Fans and we are aware of it. Unfortunately, we have all learned that anything I post on this site or others is fair game for the media...to take out of context in whatever manner they choose. I am sure they are poised to do the same right now. Therefore I do not think is is right to make any comment other than what I have said above. What I will say is that Randy Lerner has demonstrated by his personal commitment of time and wealth to making Villa winners. His commitment should never be questioned. Each Fan, because they have paid for the ticket, deserves to be heard. My responsibility is to ensure that they are.

General Krulak here:

1. I am sorry I have been off the site for a day but had a medical issue. First and foremost I want all to know that I have read and digested every comment made. I will probably not successfully answer every point because the same theme runs throughout. Let me first say that every single comment made has been read by those who need to read them...and understand the concern of the Fans. No comment has been deleted or edited by me. There is obviously much discontent by Fans and we are aware of it. Unfortunately, we have all learned that anything I post on this site or others is fair game for the media...to take out of context in whatever manner they choose. I am sure they are poised to do the same right now. Therefore I do not think is is right to make any comment other than what I have said above. What I will say is that Randy Lerner has demonstrated by his personal commitment of time and wealth to making Villa winners. His commitment should never be questioned. Each Fan, because they have paid for the ticket, deserves to be heard. My responsibility is to ensure that they are.

Hi General,

Good to hear from you and hope your medical issue is not serious.

I think I speak for alot of fans here when I say that Randy's commitment is not in question. It is the committment of our manager by his team selection and quotes post match (not the first time since his appointment either is it?). What happened Wednesday is pretty unexcusable and the more I think about it the more frustrated it makes me. If Aston Villa FC is unable to compete in two competitions despite the investment made something is clearly wrong somewhere.

Here's to a comfortable victory on Saturday with our fresh players. UTV.

Thank you for acknowledgeing our discontent General. Obviously it isn't something which you can really comment on what with the media etc but it is good to know that comments have been passed on and that's all we can really ask. :)

Hi General.

I don't want to keep going on about the issues of Wednesday night but I'm still really frustrated at being over £100 out of pocket. I completely appreciate your predicament with regards the media picking up on your every word and it's virtually impossible for you to give an honest answer without them twisting everything. I'm sure you read my post a couple of pages back and have passed my concerns to the powers that be. What I want to know Is how will you be able to communicate with me regarding this issue as I feel very betrayed by Mr Houlliers selection policy for that game and would defiantly not have travelled to watch the reserves at such great expense especially as I'm going to Bolton tomorrow and will be spending close to another £100 all in.

Would It be possible for you to give me a number of a complaints dept at AVFC (we must have one) and the name of someone I can speak to directly so I can moan at them rather than bother you as I appreciate your a busy man.

All the best Sir and UTV.

Hi General,

As a supporter that goes every game home and away, i keep getting asked this question by everyone i see, whether at work, at the pub or anywhere i go (and i live in Cheshire) What exactly were we resting our best players for? I live 50 miles from Villa Park and even here everyone is still talking about it.

Hi General.

Happy Birthday, and its nice to see someone not treating the fans with comtempt. Would you ever have led a depleted inexperienced army into battle when you have hardened soldiers available in barracks? If not, Would you follow that General into battle? I would have thought a General like that would be "relieved of his commision" by the Field Marshall.

And how closely does football mirror military life. Can you estimate how much goodwill Mr Houliers midweek actions have cost the club?

Hi General, sorry to here about you being sick. I just have a question regarding the decision our manager made on wednesday night, I'd like to know what happens if his great plan of resting players blows up in his face on saturday??. i mean it seems thats the main reason why he split up a winning team the other night, might i add they should have been an already fairly well rested team as they only just came back from two weeks without a game..

Your reply to ourselves was sensible General thank you. I guess I'll never know why he did it, in my truly honest opinion it wasn't the actions of somebody in full control of their faculties. I gie the man credit for an improved style of play but some of his decisions, Villa at Anfield for example, are off the radar!

This is his last big payday "I'll do whatever I want!"

It goes from bad to worse. Please pass on the following to our Manager.

1) At all times you will dislike the opposition. Only when they are soundly beaten can you offer them any praise

2) At all times you will instill a belief that Aston Villa can and will beat all teams they play. We never surrender, we always believe

3) Our highly payed players are more than capable of playing 2 games a week, minor team adjustments are welcome and acceptable

4) The Aston Villa supporters are to be respected and praised at all opportunities, do not ignore them or take them for fools

5) Experimenting with player positions is acceptable but must be done carefully and must not be continued if it does not work

6) Aston Villa play to win all competitions we enter, we are and never will be there to make up the numbers

7) Winning against the odds is difficult but not impossible when a team gives there all

Famous FA Cups wins include

Liverpool 0 Crystal Palace 2 (2003, Round 4)

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 Liverpool 0 (1984, Round 4)

Wimbledon 1 Liverpool 0 (1988, Final)

Liverpool 0 Bolton Wanderers 2 (1993, Round 3)

Liverpool 0 Bristol City 1 (1994, Round 3)

Burnley 1 Liverpool 0 (2005, Round 3)