The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

We are cutting the first team playing staff wages, have we restructure on same scale (at least -20%) elsewhere. Have the Board of Directors reduced their wages by 20% because failing to achieve goals set? I know these are very rough numbers, but based on conversation here in Forum's our revenue is 90+ M, our total wages aroung 75M and first team playing staff wages around 45M.

I think we have to reduce our wages and we have to some extent rely on our Academy instead of buying squad players. But to increase revenue we have to have star players, and with the likes of A.Young, Downing, Carew gone I can only see Albrighton and Bent getting the crowd of their seats next season.

General i would like to add to the calls of some form of club communication from the club. I have not got time to find the quotes to support this post but my interpretation, from what big Eck said in the interview released last night, was that he knew the vision of the club, and the financial strategy, when he arrived and that he is now working within those boundaries. Now if the club thought it fit to give him an insight before deciding whether or not to join the club then do we as fans not deserve a similar insight before parting with our money? Yes we all love the club unconditionally but money is tight for most and purchasing tickets/s-tickets requires sacrifices in other areas of our lives, this should be an informed decision not one made in hope that we may soon 'see some action'. I will be the first to post my apologise and a 'you told us so' if we do see improvements on last season with our current squad (+1) but i am worried!!!

Please don't take this as moan but rather a request for communication!!!

The Board are showing yet again what has been clear for a long while now - they are out of their depth.

How can you describe last season as crap, appoint a manager that most the fans don't want, sell the majority of our best players and fail to replace them and then expect us to be happy?

The club is a shambles with no leadership, poor communication and a flawed plan (unknown to the main stakeholders) and now we face going into another season without a sufficient squad to compete.

Actions have spoken louder than words. Rank poor actions.

Well given the pathetic nature of the questions lately Ill hope mine gets answered..

With regards to the NextGen series that the youth are taking part in General, the organiser has said games should be broadcasted on the clubs' in house media channel, does this mean live streams/full highlights on AVTV? Just like to know how it'll be covered with us.

Hi General,

Just Purchased tickets for Fulham away on the Telephone hotline and spoke to a wonderfully helpful lady named Nicola, positive for the club.

Looking Foward to the match now and hopefully three points for the Villa. UTV

How convenient General.

You make your "weekly" post. Hours later the club drop another shit bomb on us (whilst trying to cover it with the kit launch), you come back in a week or so when people have calmed down a little and the next round of PR starts.

I find it a little cowardly for a man such as yourself. Yes I would say it to your face.

The extremities of opinion from people who love the same club never cease to amaze me! I really am looking forward to seeing the good players that we already have fully motivated and busting a gut for the Villa cause. We've got some great young talent to add steadily into the mix.

I'm looking forward to this season with relish because I genuinely believe in the quality of our squad, and AM's ability to motivate it.

How about you General?

General,

Whos idea is it that there'll only be one more player in? Has the manager assessed the squad and decided that that's all we're missing, or will randy only sanction the funds for one additional signing?

I believe a straightforward answer to this will give us a good idea of what we can expect moving forward as a club, so would appreciate it if you could let us know which one it is

Cheers

General - I think I'm one of a few people who actually read and understood what Mcleish was saying - but please correct me if I'm wrong.

What he said was - "one more before start of the season, then we will asses again" (not the exact quote but pretty much). What this means is, we will bring in another player to start the season with us, and if it sill shows that we are short/struggling or even *touch wood* a player gets injured then we will look for some further business before the close of the window. is that, or is that not correct?

If it's not - then ok, fine... We will go with what we have, SUPPORT the club, and go from there.

Cheers Gen!

General,

Given that it is now very apparent that we are desperately trying to reduce the wage bill by making drastic cuts to the squad and adding very little to it what would have happened had both Young and Downing decided to stay and have signed new improved contracts? I am of course assuming they were offered improved contracts and the club didn't welcome their departures.

Also can you give a specific figure as to how many season tickets have been sold at this point.

Regards

Mark

I was going to ask the same question, what are season ticket figures?

You have been pretty vague when answering this question of late by saying things like "they are on target"

Whenever we were selling record number of season tickets when MON arrived you were happy to tell us exact figures.

I would like to know how many have been sold, and how that compares to this time last season, and how it compares to when MON was here.

Thank you

General

Why have the people who signed off this kit design agreed that Royal Blue socks actually go with this kit... ? In my opinion they look out of place and personally would rather have light blue..

Id like to ask other questions... but given that other people have already asked so many, questioning both yours and Randy's integrity I'll refrain for now.... However there is so much testosterone in existence on this thread I'll refrain...

I also think that you and Randy are like rabbits in the headlights, and don't really know how to manage conflict or expectations of the fans, I wouldn't believe a word that comes from your mouths.... Let me know via a pm when you will be at the club, and I'll gladly come to villa park and tell you why I feel this way.... The Cleveland browns recent successes (this is ironic English humour) are a testament to your stewardship... So please, pass the reigns back to Doug... he had his faults, but he cared... You and Randy don't, please leave before you ruin my club

General - firstly I'm as disappointed as anyone that your comment re "hearing lots from the club" has failed to materialise, however it's pretty funny how some people both interpret a comment & listen to the tripe the media then spin on something. Which is annoying really as I for one think the club needs to spin some positive PR.

The way I interpret Eck's comments is that there will be one more signing before the start of the season which will then give us 2/3 weeks to assess things before the window closes, at which point we will make a call on things.

I'm not saying I'm right but I'd appreciate a comment either way as all tuis negativity is doing my head in!

General:

Are you aware of the Channel 4 Dispatches documentary broadcast this week in the UK?

If so, are you aware of the comments made regarding Alex Mcleish?

Also do you have any concerns about the relationship between Sir Alex Ferguson and Alex Mcleish - particularly given your comments made on this forum about Ferguson's 'recommendation' of McLeish?

General,

Would you pass on my regards to AM for taking the time to look at the players we have already at the club. We could rush out and buy a bunch of new players but then we woukd have to get rid of the ones who would rot in the reserves.

We have got one of the best youth programs in the league and i am truly looking forward to some of these youngsters breaking through. Not one of us can see the future so writing any players or the manager off before the season kicks off doesn't make sense to me.

With recent comments from AM and PF it seems we will look at the players we have over the next couple of weeks and if the manager feels we need strengthening then he will do so. This "one player" has been blown out of all proportion and I am sure if AM wants funds to fix a problem within the roster then RL will back him. AM is taking his time to settle in and he is giving all the players a chance as long as they say they want to be a part of it. That's why I am personally happy we got rid of SD because he just wasn't up for it.

UTV

General,

I do not speak on behalf of everyone, but I do know many who feel the same way as me; this thread is completely pointless at the moment!

Villa fans come on here with questions that they want answered but the majority of the time you either can't answer them (because you don't want to be in the press the next morning) or you won't answer them because the club wants to stay silent. It seems pointless and I don't mean to offend you but you come across very arrogant in your posts to those who have serious questions about Randy Lerner or Aston Villa Football Club.

We have asked you over and over what Randy Lerner's plan is, but we never get told. We are always mislead with PR spin. at first Randy Lerner came in prepared to splash the cash. However, recently in the past two seasons, he has changed his plan. James Milner was sold & we didn't sign a replacement. Darren Bent came in January for less money than we gained from the Milner sale. So far this summer we have signed a keeper to replace Friedel, but we've also let two more star players go. Fair enough, if a player wants to leave and you get offered the right price then accept it. I get it, that's business. But selling both England wingers for a combined fee that will rise to £40M and announcing we will only sign one replacement for this coming season is beyond suicidal. If you would actually answer the one question that every single Aston Villa would love you (or more specifically, Randy himself!) to answer then the tension would die down, but we just get the usual, "Randy has always backed the manager, so don't question him, McLeish will be backed."

All we want to know is, why did Randy Lerner come in with a plan and then stop it, make a U-turn and claim that the club was taking "a new direction to success" without actually telling the fans what the new direction was? From an outsider looking in it looks like Randy Lerner is selling our best assests and stripping down the squad he built up to get his money back. I would have to assume that their is a plan and Randy hasn't changed his mind about Aston Villa but at the moment, I can't see any evidence that we will be moving forward under Randy Lerner when we sell our star players every summer and don't even attempt to replace them. We are aware that Randy Lerner has a new plan for Aston Villa but all we want to know is what this plan is? We don't want to be kept in the dark anymore.

If you could answer this question that EVERYBODY wants to hear a response to then morale across the fanbase will improve, but you can't keep us in the dark anymore when you just keep selling every player for big money and spending less money on replacements; we will never, EVER move forward that way.

Tottenham know their direction, spending on players, assembling a squad & keeping their star players to mount a title challenge.

Arsenal know their direction, to bring through the youth players with young gems that Wenger scouts for across the world.

The big 4 know they're direction.

Even Everton know they have no money & know they must sell to buy but even they can keep their star players knowing that they can hope for the Top 7 at best.

Where as we were told we wanted to get to the Champions League, were spending, almost made it, just missed out and every summer since we've sold star players, spent less than we've earnt in each window and seem content with 9th place. What's happened? What is the plan? I'm not saying I don't like Randy Lerner here, I just want to know what his plan is, because from the fans point of view, it looks like Randy Lerner wants his money back & the longer this goes on without Randy or yourself letting everybody know what our club is planning to do and what targets have been set, then the fans will be more against you each season.

You need to tell us now, what is the plan? If you could actually answer the big question that we all want answered then this thread wouldn't be so pointless anymore.

I've renewed my season ticket but if you don't answer what Randy's plan is, we have a poor season, finish mid-table, sell more star players in the summer and continue to keep us in the dark then I can tell you now, there would be protests to get you all out of Aston Villa. You can't keep the fans in the dark, all we want to know is what Randy's plan is, what targets have been set for the next few years, what's our new strategy and what are we aiming to achieve in the next 4-5 years?

I hope I haven't offended you or said anything disrespectful regarding Randy Lerner, but I've only said what so many are thinking.

We want an answer!!!!

General, there is an hilarious spoof GK thread on another site that will cheer you up. I cracked up reading it, not least because it closely mirrors a lot of the airhead (imo) comments on here, and of course other sites. Will you please read it and let me know whether it cracks you up to? Cheers :lol: