The Nintendo 3DS

Chindie

It's definitely something you need to try for yourself, everyone seems to react differently to it. The most common complaint seems to be the eye strain, but some people seem to be able to whack the 3d up to full and suffer no effects at all. I set it to about half way and feel comfortable with that, although my eyes still feel a little odd then, it's a really weird sensation and you have to experience it to get it - it feels, for me, like my eyes are trying very hard to constantly focus. There does seem a bit of an accustomisation to it, we've been messing around with the store demo one for about 3 weeks and I've grown more used to using it in that time.

You need to use it to see whether the 3d wows you too. I find it a little pointless, adding little to more or less any of the titles I've played. It needs a title that absolutely requires it to work, which it doesn't have yet (and given theres an option to turn the effect entirely off on the system, probably never will). Playing Pilotwings earlier I was struck by how little it really adds to the game, which is strange as it was the title Nintendo seems to have chosen as a kind of a tech demo for the system - it has the scope to show off the depth 3d should add. I find it doesn't, really. Other people looking at the 3d immediately are blown away by it, however.

I'd say to anyone who even vaguely might want one in the future, to go into a store and give it a try though, it really is something you have to try to see what you personally make of it.

Something that is inescapably crap, and has to be reiterated, is the battery life is shit.

Had a go on one today, my overall impression was pretty much the same as every other 3D thing that I've experienced (films, etc.):

First 5 minutes: 'That's pretty cool.'

Following period of time: 'Wait, is this still in 3D?'

In other words - after the initial novelty's worn off I might as well be watching/playing something in 2D.

Had a go on one today, my overall impression was pretty much the same as every other 3D thing that I've experienced (films, etc.):

In other words - after the initial novelty's worn off I might as well be watching/playing something in 2D.

Yep had a go on one yesterday and was fairly underwhelmed. Reminded of those old 3D postcards you used to get.

The 3D sets back into the screen and is much less impressive than the current cinema 3D.

Also I find it telling that very few shops seem to have one out on display. I had to ask to have a go on one from behind the counter. If its so jaw-dropping, have one working out front and they'll be flying of the shelves?

We had the Nintendo rep round today, wanted to know how it's been going with sales.

I got the impression that pretty much everywhere it's a steady seller but nothing more.

Doesn't surprise me to be honest. Even the rep said the launch lineup was a bit lacking.

after having a fair amount of time with it now, i think its safe to say that ive formed my opinion of it. its a pointless piece of crap (for now)

ill reassess the situation in a few months though, coz its got enough power to be a monster if devs cotton on and dont bother with the 3d nonsense

To be fair to 3d, which I'm loathe to do, there is a convincing argument for me that states that once you stop noticing the 3d in favour of the film/game/whatever taking your interest more, the 3d has succeeded. You're not spending your money for a 3d showcase after all, you're spending your money to see a film/play a game in a way that is hopefully more engrossing, exciting or however better than it might be in 2d.

Sadly, that rarely happens because 3d, especially in cinema, is anti-immersive on the whole.

As for the headache/nausea thing with the 3DS that made the papers today, that goes away with familiarity with the devise. Especially if you're not a moron and set the 3d to the right level for yourself, which varies person to person and game to game.

To be fair to 3d, which I'm loathe to do, there is a convincing argument for me that states that once you stop noticing the 3d in favour of the film/game/whatever taking your interest more, the 3d has succeeded. You're not spending your money for a 3d showcase after all, you're spending your money to see a film/play a game in a way that is hopefully more engrossing, exciting or however better than it might be in 2d.

Sadly, that rarely happens because 3d, especially in cinema, is anti-immersive on the whole.

As for the headache/nausea thing with the 3DS that made the papers today, that goes away with familiarity with the devise. Especially if you're not a moron and set the 3d to the right level for yourself, which varies person to person and game to game.

That's the thing - the experience doesn't translate into a more engrossing one for me, I just get used to it and that's it. In its current state, there is no real benefit to that (I can't peek around objects or anything). That won't happen until they actually do Virtual Reality properly.

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping to get one of these next week. My local Gamestation are doing a bundle of a 3DS with Ocarina of Time for £199. I've got my PSP and games to trade in as I never play that now so all in all it should only cost me about £159. I'm only really getting it for 2 reasons, Zelda and Mario (to help me reminisce back to my youth!) so for that reason I wanted to ask, are there any decent Mario games out for it yet or will they be released in the future?

The 3DS isn't that blessed with titles at the moment. I think I'm right in saying that there are no Mario games available on it yet (although of course theres loads for the bog standard DS that it'll play).

There is a Mario game in the works though, made by the same chaps as the Mario Galaxy games where on the Wii, and it looks pretty good. Looking to release in Japan at least by the end of the year IIRC. Mario Kart is also coming down the line too.

Speaking of Zelda, I had a crack on it yesterday. I love OoT, but I was surprised at how well it's transferred to the 3DS. It looks great too - Link in particularly has been tarted up no end and the whole game has been gone over, sharpened up and given some new detail. The 3D can **** off but if you do want to use it, it's probably the best I've seen on it.

How well has the 3DS been selling in your shop Chindie? And how many people are going to buy Zelda at that price? £30 for a 13 year old game is a bit steep!

How well has the 3DS been selling in your shop Chindie? And how many people are going to buy Zelda at that price? £30 for a 13 year old game is a bit steep!

£30 maybe be steep, but RRP on it is £40 iirc and we're doing it for £35 ;). It is the best game ever though... and you do get Master Quest and it really has been tarted up quite a lot (models aren't any different, nor is the world geometry, but they've all been given better textures and smooth out a far old bit - this is the best OoT has looked or is likely to look).

The 3DS itself... not as well as might have been hoped is the impression I got. Price has steadily come down already (current offers - £180 with what amounts to a launch title, £200 with Zelda) and I think we've still got some of our original shipment of stock knocking around. I've sold... 3 of them I think, since launch. It's still too expensive and still doesn't have enough blow your socks off titles.

The launch of Zelda was actually expected to see it, and the console, fly off the shelves, as our sales targets for Friday can attest. Instead, we sold about 7 copies, and not a single console.

It's dated horribly. It might have been the best game ever at one point, but these days? Some people will have nostalgia for it but show it to a 12 year old who has been bought up on Call of Duty and he will think it is shite.

It's dated horribly. It might have been the best game ever at one point, but these days? Some people will have nostalgia for it but show it to a 12 year old who has been bought up on Call of Duty and he will think it is shite.

Show it to most people from that type of 'dave' audience and they will think it is shite, the people who buy it will be those who bought it the first time round and maybe a few intrigued newcomers.

Some of the mechanics haven't aged that well but it's surprising how well it still plays imo. I had a crack at it in my lunch the other day and was surprised that it still stood up. It's sometimes clunky and more recent games would have not been made with some of the decisions it has but it's still fundamentally a top class game imo. Thats not just nostalgia either. I sparked up the original release last year and it was rough as hell to someone now accustomed to a more modern game.

A lot of it is the visuals and **** about in menus I think. The one thing that the DS offers is less menu-fuckery.

I think I know exactly how much shrift I'd give a 12 year old raised on COD's opinion ;).

I will say that all the copies of Zelda we sold while I've been in have gone to guys who blatently loved the original admittedly.

Pfft! Calling you out on this'un Nays. It simply hasn't.

I'm playing through it now on the 3DS I've stolen from my niece and its still an excellent game. I'd be inclined to agree that nostalgia is a factor for some but I personally never actually got around to playing OoT for the first time until 2008 or something. Some of the design has been improved upon since the game first arrived but it still stands up alongside games being released today.

Btw Chindie, the character models really have been enhanced if you go back and compare them to the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7dXh_ssYZ4.

• 1 month later...
Â