Project Anthem [Poll Added To OP]

Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

But you are not going to get 40,000 people, or even 40 people, singing an 'anthem' that has jack all to do with the Villa that has about 300 words.
Exactly. Needs to be something more... basic.

I love Ghost Riders as a song, but it's too fast, too wordy and (apart from the chorus) insufficiently relevant to the Villa.

YNWA and (yes, I'm big enough to admit it) Keep Right On both work because they are slow enough to get the words in, melodic enough to sound good (but with a manageable range for the non-musical), and lyrically stirring in sentiment - without having to change the original words in order to shoehorn in some local relevance. That's what we need. But I admit that nothing springs to mind at the moment.

I agree with this.

The only one i can think of for Darren Bent is 'I'll walk a million miles for one of your goals' Al Jolson hands optional.

THE BELLS ARE RINGING FORTHE CLARET AND BLUE

THE FANS ARE SINGING FOR THE CLARET AND BLUE

EVERYONE IS GOIING

TO THE VILLA THEY'RE GOING

AND THE VILLA ARE SHOWING THEY,RE THE BEST IN THE LAND..BEST IN THE LAND

EVERYBODY NOW AFTER ME..........

I love Ghost Riders as a song, but it's too fast, too wordy and (apart from the chorus) insufficiently relevant to the Villa.

YNWA and (yes, I'm big enough to admit it) Keep Right On both work because they are slow enough to get the words in, melodic enough to sound good (but with a manageable range for the non-musical), and lyrically stirring in sentiment - without having to change the original words in order to shoehorn in some local relevance. That's what we need. But I admit that nothing springs to mind at the moment.

I agree with this.

The only one i can think of for Darren Bent is 'I'll walk a million miles for one of your goals' Al Jolson hands optional.

Indeed. But it's been done many times, and it is only for one player.

Hymn tunes are often very good - in fact don't Charlton fans sing a hymn (forget which one) "straight" at their games? I'm not suggesting that, just that it's the type of tune that tends to work.

THE BELLS ARE RINGING FORTHE CLARET AND BLUE

THE FANS ARE SINGING FOR THE CLARET AND BLUE

EVERYONE IS GOIING

TO THE VILLA THEY'RE GOING

AND THE VILLA ARE SHOWING THEY,RE THE BEST IN THE LAND..BEST IN THE LAND

EVERYBODY NOW AFTER ME..........

This. Simple. Unique. Traditional.

Dunno why it never gets sung.

Seating has buggered atmospheres, no doubt, and I don't think the holte being in two helps. Speaking as someone at the back of the lower holte, the noise from the upper just passes above us and you can hardly hear them, and as a consequence the lower is quiet too. It's the same everywhere. But you are not going to get 40,000 people, or even 40 people, singing an 'anthem' that has jack all to do with the Villa that has about 300 words. And if you think putting songsheets or playing it over the PA is the answer, then I respectfully disagree in the strongest possible terms....

What does blowing bubbles have to do with west ham?

Delilah with stoke?

Irene with Brsitol Rovers?

Not exactly sure what YNWA has to do with Liverpool?

My point is that it seems all those clubs have anthems which have "jack all" to do with their clubs to my knowledge yet they still sing them?

We only need to sing the first verse and then the chorus for it to work! or the holte will turn into a 10,000 strong boyband if we're dinging verse after verse

Seating has buggered atmospheres, no doubt, and I don't think the holte being in two helps. Speaking as someone at the back of the lower holte, the noise from the upper just passes above us and you can hardly hear them, and as a consequence the lower is quiet too. It's the same everywhere. But you are not going to get 40,000 people, or even 40 people, singing an 'anthem' that has jack all to do with the Villa that has about 300 words. And if you think putting songsheets or playing it over the PA is the answer, then I respectfully disagree in the strongest possible terms....

What does blowing bubbles have to do with west ham?

Delilah with stoke?

Irene with Brsitol Rovers?

Not exactly sure what YNWA has to do with Liverpool?

My point is that it seems all those clubs have anthems which have "jack all" to do with their clubs to my knowledge yet they still sing them?

Good point. But I do share concerns about the speed and melody of the lyrics. But then again I've only listened to the actual song a handful of times, maybe we're not giving the Holte enough credit for its musical capability..? :)

Against Everton at the weekend it was sung while the Everton players were on the pitch, not waiting in the Tunnels. They didnt have to stand to attention as such, but why should they wait untill they have finished singing before they kick off? Singing while in the tunnels obviously I get, but as soon as the players hit the pitch it should be time to get started surely?

Was the same against us aswell in December, Villa players on the pitch having to wait untill the end of the song before they could kick off..

Ahh ok, I get you now. I guess they just need to improve the timing, as having the song too early may spoil the atmosphere, and obviously having it too late will result in the opposition players waiting on the field as you said.

It's not always easy striking a balance though.

The last few posts do have a point about the song being too wordy, but don't forget this thread is open to other anthem ideas too.

The more choice we have, the better.

Hymn tunes are often very good - in fact don't Charlton fans sing a hymn (forget which one) "straight" at their games? I'm not suggesting that, just that it's the type of tune that tends to work.

The boggies do 'The Lord is my Shepard' dont they?

I do think we should come out to ' Theme from an unmade silent movie' We used to come out to

for years.

^^I guess so. But you ain't gonna get the holte singing, in time, to that song. It simply will never take off.

Sing 'Bells Are Ringing'. It's our song. Bring it back.

Yeah it will be hard and I am sceptical but it would be great if it worked, and surely its worth a try. But then again this is the Villa and we can't even remember the bloody words to ashley youngs song, so we just repeat the chorus over and over- shame that one as its a gooden.

However the bells are ringing is hort enough for it to catch on and it has meanign to the club, but I'm not the biggest fan of the song in itself. But then again ive only sung it or heard it sung in the pub b4 a game by 20 of us! hearing 10,000 sing may change my mind!

As a Cash fan it breaks my heart when ever I hear the Holte End butchering the tune of GRITS, I get the feeling that not a single one singing it has listened to any version. It makes it less effective in my opinion.

personally, i think the bells are ringing is a bit shit and that 'Theme from an unmade silent movie' should be reserved for when a kid's playgroup has hired a clown to come in and perform for them.

ghost riders is atmospheric and intimidating, and if a few thousand people can't figure out how to sing along to it then heaven help us. i listened to it for 20 mins last night and have got the words and rhythm down already.

personally, i think the bells are ringing is a bit shit and that 'Theme from an unmade silent movie' should be reserved for when a kid's playgroup has hired a clown to come in and perform for them.

ghost riders is atmospheric and intimidating, and if a few thousand people can't figure out how to sing along to it then heaven help us. i listened to it for 20 mins last night and have got the words and rhythm down already.

Im with you, I think it will be hard, but should be doable. Could be something special. I've already downloaded it off itunes

Would love that or the bells are ringing.

This would be my prefered choice and easier to remember but Holte enders in the sky is good too.

I nver read the chants thread as it seem as though nothing changes

I do like the idea of the tempo being good for the "clap-along". for the doug ellis and trintity this will be good as they vary rarely join in, they're clapping along can really add to it, then obviously the whole ground joingin in for the chorus would be class!!

As you guys said, the tempo is pretty good. Nevertheless, I was messing around with the music file and slowed it down a touch more.

I think it's good as it is, but perhaps if it were a little slower it would allow others to pick up on it and not get their tongues twisted in a knot.

Not to mention it will go for longer this way, and have more slurs. Just another idea.

Â