Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

Ive been talking to some guys at work about this at work,

Why are Plop allowed to sing walk alone while the players are lined up? Fair enough anything goes before the teams come out etc, but why does the opposite team have to stand and listen to that crap at attention before every game? Are there any other clubs that do this?

I guess it's their ground, so they ultimately call the shots. I see no problem with it, as long as it doesn't delay kick-off in any way.

Here in Australia, a club anthem is played for both teams before the match as the teams run out onto the field, and the winner's theme is once again played at the conclusion of the match. Mind you, that's Aussie Rules Football.

In regards to another poster, the song isn't plastic at all. In fact, as Rob said, it could only bring about positives. Some may be reluctant to sing during the game, but if everybody sings along to an anthem prior to the match, they are more likely to be comfortable or in a mood to join in on other chants throughout the 90 minutes.

It may take a while to convince the entire crowd to join in, but if the Holte sings as one, they will be more inclined to give it a go.

I live in Australia, so I've never been to a Villa match. But hopefully what I'm saying is close enough to the reality of it all, if not just let me know. :winkold:

Copying Liverpool with a plastic "anthem" is not our style IMO. :|

I don't think it's plastic or copying Liverpool (they've just obviously the easiest example to give).

If it gets the crowd pumping before a game and gets the majority of the crowd singing along, then it can only be a plus.

I don't see how it can be labelled as plastic, at all.

Some games this year, it seems like people have wanted to sing.. but we're all too deflated to get it going constantly (it could be due to the performances.. but still). If we actually had an "anthem" that was played before the game and people started singing along, it could improve the atmosphere of the whole game and get more of the crowd chanting during the game.

if only more people thought like this. I've said it for years. The atmosphere is flat because we generally have very few chants, and when you take ones out with swearing, it's pretty small too.

Summed up by us singing John Carew Carew, when he wasn't even in the ground.

Why are Plop allowed to sing walk alone while the players are lined up? Fair enough anything goes before the teams come out etc, but why does the opposite team have to stand and listen to that crap at attention before every game? Are there any other clubs that do this?

I guess it's their ground, so they ultimately call the shots. I see no problem with it, as long as it doesn't delay kick-off in any way.

Here in Australia, a club anthem is played for both teams before the match as the teams run out onto the field, and the winner's theme is once again played at the conclusion of the match. Mind you, that's Aussie Rules Football.

In regards to another poster, the song isn't plastic at all. In fact, as Rob said, it could only bring about positives. Some may be reluctant to sing during the game, but if everybody sings along to an anthem prior to the match, they are more likely to be comfortable or in a mood to join in on other chants throughout the 90 minutes.

It may take a while to convince the entire crowd to join in, but if the Holte sings as one, they will be more inclined to give it a go.

I live in Australia, so I've never been to a Villa match. But hopefully what I'm saying is close enough to the reality of it all, if not just let me know. :winkold:

Yeah it doesn't hold up the kick off, but I just dont see why the opposite team has to stand there and listen to it. Its good for Liverpool as it could intimidate the other team, just cant see it being allowed for every other team to start doing it. What if our anthem became `November Rain' and we made the other team stand there for 15mins before kick off so we could sing it all.. haha.

To break it down, I dont get why the opposition at Anfield has to come out early to listen to that crap.

Copying Liverpool with a plastic "anthem" is not our style IMO. :|

I don't think it's plastic or copying Liverpool (they've just obviously the easiest example to give).

If it gets the crowd pumping before a game and gets the majority of the crowd singing along, then it can only be a plus.

I don't see how it can be labelled as plastic, at all.

Some games this year, it seems like people have wanted to sing.. but we're all too deflated to get it going constantly (it could be due to the performances.. but still). If we actually had an "anthem" that was played before the game and people started singing along, it could improve the atmosphere of the whole game and get more of the crowd chanting during the game.

if only more people thought like this. I've said it for years. The atmosphere is flat because we generally have very few chants, and when you take ones out with swearing, it's pretty small too.

Summed up by us singing John Carew Carew, when he wasn't even in the ground.

I dont actually think we are that bad for chants compared to some of the other grounds. Have you heard it at the likes of Blackburn and Wigan? You could fall asleep, Villa Park compared to them is like a noisy nightclub on a Saturday night.

If those were the lyrcis, I wouldn't sing it. And I don't think 40,000 fans singing about beating an opposition fan to death would project the best image of our club!

Whenever ive heard it sang its been one bloke, banging a table as he goes, with the rest of the pub joining in for the chorus

Yeah it doesn't hold up the kick off, but I just dont see why the opposite team has to stand there and listen to it. Its good for Liverpool as it could intimidate the other team, just cant see it being allowed for every other team to start doing it. What if our anthem became `November Rain' and we made the other team stand there for 15mins before kick off so we could sing it all.. haha.

To break it down, I dont get why the opposition at Anfield has to come out early to listen to that crap.

Not sure I quite understand what you're trying to say mate.

Just to clarify, are the opposition told to stand to attention as if it were a national anthem or such? Or are you referring to the opposition players waiting in the tunnels?

If so, I agree. The opposition shouldn't be forced to stand and listen, but in a sense it is a chant, so there's is not much you can do.

Against Everton at the weekend it was sung while the Everton players were on the pitch, not waiting in the Tunnels. They didnt have to stand to attention as such, but why should they wait untill they have finished singing before they kick off? Singing while in the tunnels obviously I get, but as soon as the players hit the pitch it should be time to get started surely?

Was the same against us aswell in December, Villa players on the pitch having to wait untill the end of the song before they could kick off..

i love sheffield utd's you fill up my senses and given i live in bristol - the rovers sing goodnight irene and have done for 40 years. both great club anthems and we need to have something other than songs about SHA all day

Well, I can remember when the Holte End used to be a wall of noise and so intimidating for the opposition. But now......well, these days theres more of a ruckus made out our local WI on bridge night!

Great idea. Just look at the fondness songs like the scouse one, Delilah, Blue Moon or I'm forever blowing bubbles are chanted.......they're unique to the clubs that sing them and you respect that. And, tbh, theres no need for swearing or references to lesser teams across the way.

Keep it as it is and get it blasted out every game.......its stirring stuff!

I love Ghost Riders as a song, but it's too fast, too wordy and (apart from the chorus) insufficiently relevant to the Villa.

YNWA and (yes, I'm big enough to admit it) Keep Right On both work because they are slow enough to get the words in, melodic enough to sound good (but with a manageable range for the non-musical), and lyrically stirring in sentiment - without having to change the original words in order to shoehorn in some local relevance. That's what we need. But I admit that nothing springs to mind at the moment.

Slightly OT but I think we should come out to iron man by Sabbath - it woudl be awesome! Let's crank it up to 11 and make Villa Park an intimidating place to come for teh opposition - a song like that especially pumped up and loud would get the fans going!!

Rotterdam by Beautiful South ? 1982 obviously and never say never to repeating our past glories. Good tempo for an 'anthem'. ''This could be Rotterdam or Villa park . . . ''

Beat It by Michael Jackson ? Good intro, lyrically telling the opposing team to 'go away'(ie beat it) with defiance. ''Villa Villa, we ain't gonna be defeated . . . '' ''The striker nets the prize cos the fire's in his eyes . . . ''

What we do need is a song / anthem that shows PASSION.

Slightly OT but I think we should come out to iron man by Sabbath - it woudl be awesome! Let's crank it up to 11 and make Villa Park an intimidating place to come for teh opposition - a song like that especially pumped up and loud would get the fans going!!

Good idea

Great post and good idea. Songs like this don't need to be changed. Sing it as it is, we already have a connection to it with our holtenders in the sky song. Leave it as it is and sing it loud.

I can imagine it, slowed down slightly and being sung by 20 or 30,000 fans. Pure class. A few big flags waving..

Maybe someone needs to inform Brigada 1874 or whatever their name is. If anyones gonna start it maybe these could, at least they are an organised group, if they started others might follow..

Well, I can remember when the Holte End used to be a wall of noise and so intimidating for the opposition. But now......well, these days theres more of a ruckus made out our local WI on bridge night!

I tend to agree, the Holte used to be CONTINOUS loud noise to support the lads and get the other stands going. The Holte should be the loud speaker of the ground, the altar of our church. The Holte should live up (and loud up) to its legendary status.

I think that whatever song chosen the club should record a version with the Villa words in and play it over the PA pre game...like they used to do with Dwight Yorke Dwight Yorke.

#

This would be absolutely cringeworthy and incredibly smalltime.

Perhaps we should have goal music too?!

i am going to make a suggestion about this to the right people at the club, although in saying that i know these people look on here pretty much everyday so if maybe we were to have a discussion and get a selection of songs for our 'anthem' then maybe make a poll about the subject, they will see it and stuff may or may not happen.

Seating has buggered atmospheres, no doubt, and I don't think the holte being in two helps. Speaking as someone at the back of the lower holte, the noise from the upper just passes above us and you can hardly hear them, and as a consequence the lower is quiet too. It's the same everywhere. But you are not going to get 40,000 people, or even 40 people, singing an 'anthem' that has jack all to do with the Villa that has about 300 words. And if you think putting songsheets or playing it over the PA is the answer, then I respectfully disagree in the strongest possible terms....

Â