Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked atthe General's thread and noticed someone had suggested a song for our anthem. This got me thinking and I asked myself who sings that is synonomous with Birmingham, or more to the point, Aston? The answer is this fella:

Born and bred in Aston, like myself, and a Villa fan too.

It pisses me off that Ozzy doesn't get the recognition he deserves from this country. He has sold over 100 million records worldwide and is in my opinion the most famous singer to come out of the second city of this country. The Queen gives out knighthood's to people like Elton John so why not recognise the genius of Ozzy? So what if he's done a few unsavoury things in his time. I think you'll find that the aforementioned singer has done a few things that aren't exactly correct too!

I'm not suggesting we use the song in the link, although it's a bloody meaningful song and one that speaks a lot of truth. I am just saying that it would be good if we could find a song that we could sing, that one of our own sung originally.

Was he a Villa fan? I seem to recall reading that he wasn't too bothered with football, but another member of the band would lock himself in a dark room for hours on end when Villa lost.

I suggested War Pigs earlier in the thread, don't think there were any takers though :lol: Though I'd actually prefer Sweet Leaf, replacing Sweet Leaf with VIL-LA :D

I just looked atthe General's thread and noticed someone had suggested a song for our anthem. This got me thinking and I asked myself who sings that is synonomous with Birmingham, or more to the point, Aston? The answer is this fella:

Born and bred in Aston, like myself, and a Villa fan too.

It pisses me off that Ozzy doesn't get the recognition he deserves from this country. He has sold over 100 million records worldwide and is in my opinion the most famous singer to come out of the second city of this country. The Queen gives out knighthood's to people like Elton John so why not recognise the genius of Ozzy? So what if he's done a few unsavoury things in his time. I think you'll find that the aforementioned singer has done a few things that aren't exactly correct too!

I'm not suggesting we use the song in the link, although it's a bloody meaningful song and one that speaks a lot of truth. I am just saying that it would be good if we could find a song that we could sing, that one of our own sung originally.

Who is it on the cover of Sabotage that has a small Villa badge on their lapel?

black-sabbath-sabotage.jpg

Why not 'Holte End Hotel' (Stephen 'tin tin' Duffy) ?

I always thought a slightly slower version of that would sound great, and it is specifically a Villa song.

Can't do nothing about crap acoustics, no standing, and a silent 2/3 of the ground tho'.

Sorry I have no idea how to do links to my record collectio but I have checked and it is available on Spotify ; for anone interested the lyrics are ;

Holte End Hotel,

Where I live,

All year round,

In my dreams

It's where I live

By the Ground

CHORUS - I'll meet you where the Lane from Witton Stalls, They hurry when the voice of football calls ;

Holte End Hotel

Falling down (this was written in 1981 !!)

Down down down

Ballroom days

Lochead plays

Balding crown

(rpt chorus)

Have a listen - slowed down it is pretty anthemic in my view.

terry just find it on youtube and copy and paste the address.

would love for this anthem idea to work, but not enough people are behind it and i think quite a lot of people wont like the song and there will be a lot of disagreement.

but the general did say he would be behind it, but since asking him 3 times, no reply. if we got him on board i think it could work, OS, matchday programs, facebook group etc.

Was he a Villa fan? I seem to recall reading that he wasn't too bothered with football, but another member of the band would lock himself in a dark room for hours on end when Villa lost.

I suggested War Pigs earlier in the thread, don't think there were any takers though :lol: Though I'd actually prefer Sweet Leaf, replacing Sweet Leaf with VIL-LA :D

dont think he was a massive villa fan but i thought he did have a box at VP? anyway, yes geezer butler is a big fan.

i mentioned it earlier in the thread that black sabbath would be appropriate for an anthem - more so than ghost riders. you need something to sing along to and ghost riders is just too wordy for that except for the vippie ay ohhhhh part. war pigs is a good choice IMO

dont think he was a massive villa fan but i thought he did have a box at VP? anyway, yes geezer butler is a big fan.

i mentioned it earlier in the thread that black sabbath would be appropriate for an anthem - more so than ghost riders. you need something to sing along to and ghost riders is just too wordy for that except for the vippie ay ohhhhh part. war pigs is a good choice IMO

I agree. A Black Sabbath or Ozzy Osbourne song would be a good one to change for a villa anthem, just need to find one that can be changed for it. I'm in for the anthem idea, would love to hear it at the villa. Never gonna get a good agreement on a song though.

Since hearing it I always thought it would be a great anthem to use - its sounds pretty much like terrace song already and would sound amazing sung by football fans - especially the chorus.

When knights come along at the end of the day

Some were half-alive and some had run away

Hear our triumph, hear our roar

We'll probably drink a barrel or much, much more

Hoorah, Hoorah, Hoorah, Yea

Over the hill with the swords of a thousand men

Lyrics like that would be easy to change for a football song, just change the knights to bluenoses if u like lol.

"Hoorah, Hoorah, Hoorah, Yea

Holteneders standing tall to the sound of the villa!"

K that line took 5 seconds to come up with but a proper lyricist would nail that tune.

• 2 years later...

Metal and men clash once more to the end
Warriors above with the power to kill descend
Militia of blood troops of hate march to die
Soldiers of Hell veterans of death arise

Prepare for attack
Your body will burn
Endless war
There's no return
Prepare for attack
Death will arrive
Your orders are clear