• A Young
    • Pirès
    • Albrighton
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bannan
    • Agbonlahor
    • Downing (for Pirès 65)
    • Petrov (for Bannan 65)

Have not followed the game much, probably for the first time in many years, so glad of the win and the fact we avoided a replay

Unusual for you roberto. You'll be off the el cid and lezzies next.:)

We weren't ever tested to be honest.

Although we didn't play well, it's sometimes hard to lift your game when your opposition are doing **** all. It was like a training game at times which was surprising.

Next time we play can you send me a link to your Streams please? they sound much nicer than mine

:crylaugh:

We didn't play well. We looked brittle still. We showed flashes of quality.

Otherwise for vast swathes of the match if Sheffield United were actually good, we'd have been further under the cosh. Final 20 mins barring our third is all them and us cluelessly lumping away. And the first half wasn't much different.

We won there because of the quality we have sometimes making itself show.

Walkers worth a mention. He was good, very good, but not flawless. That silly pass across the front of the box stands out, stupid play and nearly cost us. I also worry his forays forward if unfettered will sometimes land us in trouble.

Petrov's goal was a bit of quality play and really should have been second. That first chance he did everything right imo, trying to commit the keeper with a shuffle and feint to shoot for the far post, unfortunately Simonsens trailing leg made the save.

It's good to win but, hey, I still ain't convinced.

walker was brilliant! No way a pen though the cynic in me says young wanted to go off, he didn't seem bothered when he thought he was being subbed and didn't protest enough about sendin off

My recollection was that he tried to pull out of the tackle, immediately put his hand up to deny it was intentional and then belted the floor in anger when he saw the ref was walking over to book him, then stormed down the tunnel in frustration.

Good to see Gabby's picked out a few sharp, sweeping passes in his last couple of games. Being able to pick a guy out over a bit of distance and take a few defenders out with it sidesteps the Carew Problem of holding the ball up really well, then pointlessly dribbling out to the wing to play a two yard pass to a winger, then ambling towards the penalty area to watch his cross sail harmlessly over the patch you should probably have been standing in.

Petrov's goal was a bit of quality play and really should have been second. That first chance he did everything right imo, trying to commit the keeper with a shuffle and feint to shoot for the far post, unfortunately Simonsens trailing leg made the save.

I do wonder if you'd of said the same had it been another player who plays CM who did the exact same thing.

But anyway, it was the right thing to do, just needed to lift it over the leg. Second chance was a cracking finish.

**** yes! I forgot what a win felt like, its so good to have overturned the doom and gloom into something we can take into the next game, which we must win.

And Petrov's goal - it reminded me of Alan Partridge:

"SHIT! DID YOU SEE THAT? HE MUST HAVE A FOOT LIKE A TRACTION ENGINE!"

Friedal - Did what was need of him and more. He gets some stick but pulled off some key saves today.

Walker - Very good debut but of could have been bad if his wayward pass had set up their equalizer at 2-1.

Clark - Very comfortable on the ball, better than Warnock has played in last few games and deserves to keep his place.

Dunne - Bar for the header in the first half was very solid. Cover Cuellar very well when he was out of position.

Cuellar - For all those who wanted him to play ahead of Dunne and Collins, well there you go. Thought he was very poor today and must do better if he wishes to keep his place.

Bannan - Very bright future. He did well today and was unlucky to be taken off. Great feet and full of energy and put in some very nice passes.

Albrighton - My MOTM, a part of everything that was good today. He workrate was tremendous and his goal and assist where excellant too.

NRC - Did his usually job of pressuring and giving simple passes. Did what he needed to do and didn't try too much outside his range. GH needs to get him to sign a new contract.

Pires - :?

Young - Needs to learn he isn't as good as he thinks he is. Was tied up by their right back which led to his sending off. If he not going to sign a new contract sell him now to highest bidder and use the money to buy a top striker.

Gabbby - Held the ball up very well and work hard for the team. would have nice if he could of taken one of his chances to give him confidence going into Blues game.

Petrov - We saw the best and worse of him in front of goal. Glad to see the passion coming out when he got booked for handball. We are going to need a lot more of that to get out of the relegation zone. Nice pass through to Downing.

Downing - Great pass to set up Petrov's first chance. Did okay bar for bottling the challenge on the keeper when he was in good position.

Collins - Not on long enough.

I know we're shit but The Telegraph are taking the piss putting the wrong score down on their report...

Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 2: match report

Read a full match report of the FA Cup third round tie between Sunderland and Notts County at the Stadium of Light on Saturday Jan 8, 2011.

Over the top: captain Stilyan Petrov scores Villa's third goal at Bramall Lane Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Sandy Macaskill, at Bramall Lane 5:26PM GMT 08 Jan 2011

This was not a demonstration from Aston Villa that a corner has been turned on their dismal season – in fact because of the lack of quality from their opponents it does not even suggest they are at the apex of the bend – but this victory over Sheffield United, which sent Gerard Houllier’s side through to the fourth round of the FA Cup, should not be sniffed at.

For starters, it was their first win on the road since September, and there were also signs that Kyle Walker will be a useful loan addition, the defender marking his debut with his first goal since turning professional in 2008.

There were others for Marc Albrighton and Stiliyan Petrov, but Ashley Young’s dismissal for two bookings was Villa’s second red card in two games.

It is questionable how instructive this result is of Villa’s fortunes, for their opposition were as feeble as you will find. Perhaps it was to be expected bearing in mind United are at the wrong end of the Championship, and in Micky Adams’ defence his team has been depleted by injury.

But while that helps explain the home side’s incoherence, it does not shed light on why they were so lacking in commitment when the men they were supposed to be marking escaped. At times it bordered on disinterest.

In effect it enabled Villa to run the ball at will, as Walker chose to do inside 10 minutes. The right back, making his debut after joining from Tottenham on loan in the week, dribbled his way into the area, and seconds later his shot was bumbling past Steve Simonsen.

Remembering that he had spent six months here on loan last season, and that his mother is a Blades supporter, the 20 year-old kept his celebration to a minimum.

With Robert Pires, Ashley Young, Barry Bannan and Albrighton in the midfield Villa did not want for ideas, but they got carried away with their own creativity and lulled into a false sense of security, and when Richard Dunne’s suicidal header back to Brad Friedel was intercepted by Jamie Ward, their old insecurities came tumbling back, even though Friedel made a vital save.

Anxieties were soothed once again when Albrighton smoked a volley in from six yards shortly after the half hour mark, off a Young cross, but then Carlos Cuéllar tripped Lee Williamson in the area and Michael Jones saw no reason not to award a penalty. Friedel gallantly dived to his right, but it was pointless as Ward planted the ball in the middle of the net.

Suddenly United had perked up, Daniel Bogdanovic forcing Friedel into a full stretch dive. When Young collected a second booking for a rash challenge on Kyle Bartley and was waved down the tunnel by the gleeful home fans, Villa were wobbling.

To their credit they survived, Petrov, on for Bannan, finishing the match off in stoppage time. But you could not help thinking that although United could not take advantage, others will.

Clicky

**** yes! I forgot what a win felt like, its so good to have overturned the doom and gloom into something we can take into the next game, which we must win.

And Petrov's goal - it reminded me of Alan Partridge:

"SHIT! DID YOU SEE THAT? HE MUST HAVE A FOOT LIKE A TRACTION ENGINE!"

The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding, in this case, is a football.

Have not followed the game much, probably for the first time in many years, so glad of the win and the fact we avoided a replay

Unusual for you roberto. You'll be off the el cid and lezzies next.:)

Funnily enough I'm on the Guinness this weekend...

Nice to get a win at last!

Walker - great today MOTM, as I said in another thread how good was it to see some level-headed attacking play in the buildup to Petrov's goal where most of our other defenders wouldve hoofed it forward and lost possession. Looking forward to how he plays in the prem.

Ash - terrible today (aside from setting up the second goal). didnt look interested and made a petulant fould to miss the Blues game. Poor.

Albrighton - just shaded out by Walker for motm, really good AGAIN. he looks a real star. Hope we can get Kyle permanently because those two on the right would strike fear into a lot of defences.

Not sure what Houllier was playing at when we had Downing, Albrighton and Young on the pitch and Gabby was still out on the left wing but I thought he made his subs at the right time because we were under the cosh.

Petrov made up for a bad miss with a nice goal.

I actually thought Dunne was alright today.

Villa fans were fantastic, I met my mates after who had been in the Sheff U end and they said they thought the away support was brilliant too. First game I've been to in 8 where I've seen a win, a nice day out.

How many fans did we take up today? They were in fine voice!

total attendance was 17,700 i think, around 5,300 ish was us!

superb support! sheffields a shit hole! i want to go home!

walker was great, dunne was great, friedel was great, gabby was quiet again IMO.

first away game for a while and really enjoyed it! thanks villa and the supporters!

UTV!

Â