Ronaldo V Messi

wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

If you said to me you can sign for Villa a player who is going to be as good as Messi has been and will be, or as good as C Ronaldo has been and will be, then I think I'd choose the player as good as Messi.

No doubt two of the greatest players ever but if I had to choose one over the other it would be Messi. The only question mark about both of them when comparing to Pele and Maradona is that neither have really had a great world cup. 

Edited by PaulC

I don't get why so much emphasis is placed on the importance of winning a World Cup personally. That just favours players who happen to be born into stronger nations. Pelé won World Cups with a Brazil team that would've won without him anyway, as shown by the '62 victory. Whereas someone like Cristiano plays for a nation that simply isn't good enough to win it.

• Like 1

I don't really like the World Cup argument. International football is really down to luck: luck in having the right batch of players at the right time, and hoping that no one else around has a better batch than you. Throughout their careers, Spain & Germany have been miles ahead of every other international team in terms of quality and strength in numbers.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Ronaldo's been better the last two years, he seems to have peaked later in his career than Messi who I think is possibly on the physical decline now and will end up in more of a playmaker role in the next few years. The Messi of 2010-2013 was for me the best player to have ever played the game.

Ronaldo is superior at the minute, but you have to remember that Messi is younger and will eventually catch up as Ronaldo is now getting in his 30's

Usually that would be true but Ronaldo is such an incredible athlete that he can perhaps continue playing at a very high level until his mid-to-late thirties. Whereas Messi will quite possibly be finished by 33/34.

It's a fascinating debate, and I don't think world football has ever had one quite like this one. People compare Pele to Maradona, but they were from different eras. Ronaldo and Messi are the greatest players maybe EVER, and they happen to be playing at the same time and in the same league, battling it out every weekend for the crown of who's best. It's incredible stuff, really. 

• Like 1

Ronaldo 07-09

Messi 09-12

Ronaldo 12-current

Both absolutely fantastic players, but I feel that Messi has already peaked in his own career and is on the decline even though he is younger than Ronaldo, but is still absolutley fantastic.

Ronaldo right now is in the peak of his career and is simply unstoppable. 

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 1

Ronaldo is superior at the minute, but you have to remember that Messi is younger and will eventually catch up as Ronaldo is now getting in his 30's

Will he though? As much as Ronaldo has improved these past 2 years, the gap between them now is party to do with Messi being on the decline.

No doubt two of the greatest players ever but if I had to choose one over the other it would be Messi. The only question mark about both of them when comparing to Pele and Maradona is that neither have really had a great world cup.

The world cup is little more than a poor man's champions league these days. International football is completely irrelevant now.

It's sub par compared to the highest level of the club game, which is reasonable to expect when you compare the benefits of being able to sign anyone and have your squad train together every day versus a get together for a week a few times a year.

A mediocre club team would murder most international teams purely because of familiarity with each other

• Like 1

Ronaldo has been the best player this year for me and deserves the ballon D'or

overall though i'll still say Messi is the better player, far more involved in the overall game. Ronaldo is basically an obscene striker now whereas Messi can basically be a striker, playmaker and centre midfielder, winger all in one game.

For me, it's Messi. However, I do wonder how Messi would do in a more physical league such as the PL. Like VillaChris said, Ronaldo has been successful in two major leagues. It's brilliant to have two players like this around at the moment, though. It's not like the debate can ever be settled, but having players as fantastic as this playing the game at the same time is great.

Ronaldo has been the best player this year for me and deserves the ballon D'or

overall though i'll still say Messi is the better player, far more involved in the overall game. Ronaldo is basically an obscene striker now whereas Messi can basically be a striker, playmaker and centre midfielder, winger all in one game.

No doubt that Messi is the more creative of the two but Cristiano does have as many assists as him so far this season. Although the latter is playing more as a centre-forward now, he is more unselfish than he has ever been.

Â