Ronaldo V Messi

wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

Messi, simply for the fact that he isn't a whinging, diving, cry-baby like Ronaldo.

Whilst this doesnt make him the best player in the world, I do admire his professionalism as much as his skill.

Xavi is not on another planet to Messi. Xavi is a wonderful player, 2nd best in the world.

But when Xavi himself and also Guardiola claims Messi is the best. I know who is the best.

Every player needs the right players and system around them, including Xavi. He's said it before, it's no different with any other player.

But you claimed Messi could perform in Xavi's role to a "near similar" standard. Although you still clearly rate Xavi very highly, I think Zatman's main point was to disagree with this, and I concur. No-one in the world, Messi included, could perform as well as Xavi in his role.

Here seems as good a place as any to revisit the hilarious Daily Mail headline from two years ago. If proof were needed that they seldom if ever know what they are talking about.

Bunch of dimwits

yeah i remember this. Any respect i had for Daily Mail football went after that

• 1 month later...

I think it's close, but that's to Ronaldo's credit given how good Messi is. Ronaldo's biggest mistake was leaving Man Utd where he was surrounded by a good team (in the proper meaning of team) to go and play as one of 11 individuals. If he had stayed at United then they could have dominated Europe for the duration. But even in that Real side he is extremely hard working and has shone with his displays and his relentless goal-scoring.

What also goes against him, and the same thing happened to Maradona to an extent, is that a lot of people simply don't like the man. So in a comparison against someone who they do like, where there's little to choose, they will often side with the one they're fondest of.

For me I think Messi edges it because he is more consistent in his attitude. He will always give 100%. I think on their good days, one is every bit as good as the other but I think Messi just has more of those days. Though as I said, I think if Ronaldo was to re-join a cohesive unit like Man Utd then he would achieve more and probably be looked upon more favourably in this type of poll.

We're just blessed to be witnessing two 'once-in-a-generation' players at the same time.

Ronaldo probably scores better in more attributes than Messi. He's arguably quicker, much better in the air, probably slightly better at set pieces and is probably stronger.

Still think Messi is the better overall player though because he creates more for his team than Ronaldo ( rarely see Ronaldo hit passes like the ball Messi hit to Villa in el classico ) and his decision making is much better imo, he seems to always know which is the best option to take which Ronaldo doesn't always seem to.

Both phenomenal players though.

Ronaldo is still below Messi, as is every other player. Apart from being better in the air and also has a stronger weaker foot, I don't think there are other attributes that make him seem a better player, while I'd rank Messi above Ronaldo in terms of ability but also brain and mentality to play within a team.

• 3 years later...

I probably would if I'm being honest.   The poll would be a hell of a lot closer if it were asked again today and I while think most of the people who said Messi by a mile would probably still say Messi, it would be a much more difficult choice.   

Until I see Ronaldo pop into midfield and start dictating a game

Ina roundabout way, this could also be a case for Ronaldo. For a player that has LESS of the ball over the course of a match, he has roughly the same impact in terms of goals scored and putting his team on his back.

Edited by maqroll

From a purely technical point of view, Messi is the more talented. But Ronaldo has played to a consistantly higher standard over the past two years. So in short, Ronaldo is the best player in the world now.

Messi is the better technical player, yeah. But Ronaldo is the more productive player IMO. You can't defend against someone who's smarter, better in the air, faster and stronger than yourself. He can pretty much score from anywhere in any situation as well.

It was close before, now it's not that close, Ronaldo.

Â