• Delph
    • Hogg
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Delfouneso (for Heskey 39)
    • Petrov (for Hogg 45)
    • Pires (for Delph 74)

A few thoughts -

Lichaj MOTM. He had Bale in his pocket all match, so much so he eventually swapped wings

Albrighton was anonymous for the first 45 minutes, much better second half

Delfouneso - his movement is a breath of fresh air. Constantly wants the ball

Delph - Consistently wasted possession. I think we brought him back too early

Petrov - Great to have him back, we've missed him a lot.

Not the worst performance ever. People forget that Spurs are a very, very good side. VDV is a class act.

Keep your **** nerve people.

We're on a confidence low, our manager walked out 5 days before the start of the season.

We're still trying to find our best team and a way of playing - that's what pre-season is about.

Houllier wants to play a different way and needs the opportunity to buy players.

We've clearly got lots of good young players.

We've got easier games coming up February to April.

We lost today to a very good team with better players than us.

Let's NOT lose our heads and forget the context of this situation.

We're not playing well and results have been poor.

But if you're asking me whether we should panic, whether we should sack a new manager and start again - NO chance.

This is the time to show some maturity and patience as fans while it's tough - it's the only way to build for the future.

Against a club who have alot more quality than us. As a pose to us who have been decimated with injuries, playing mostly youth players, or players that have just come back from injury and a rusty. Get a **** grip! I'm as hurt as anyone that we lost again, but i'm not in throw the toys out of the pram mode. Wait till January! We're playing Man City and Chelsea next...If we lose I'll be **** hurt, and scared of relegation...but I simply will not blame the manager or the board at this point...until we are on a level playing field.

Anyway...I never had any faith in Lichaj but he had a stormer tonight, gets better each game... Albrighton is what we expect...very good. Gabby tries but has no **** service. Our midfield is too slow and we need more creativity...we need to attack more like we did at the end.

2 wins in 12, 4 defeats from the last 6.

Relegation is a distinct possibility if things don't improve fast!

We're on a confidence low, our manager walked out 5 days before the start of the season.

We're still trying to find our best team and a way of playing - that's what pre-season is about.

Houllier wants to play a different way and needs the opportunity to buy players.

But if you're asking me whether we should panic, whether we should sack a new manager and start again - NO chance.

This is the time to show some maturity and patience as fans while it's tough - it's the only way to build for the future.

Amen to that! Give Houllier time. Lets try and get mid table, get a squad of players who will play for him and see what happens. MON left us in the shit, we doing OK. Remember if we won today we went 9th. Its not all doom and gloom despite City and Chelsea next two games.

Not the worst performance ever. People forget that Spurs are a very, very good side. VDV is a class act.

Not denying Spurs are a good side but we were hardly a million miles behind them last season, we had all our players back and played against them with a man advantage for over an hour. It's simply not good enough and there are no 'buts' left.

West Ham would be disappointed to lose to Chelsea if they'd played an hour with an extra man. The absolute minimum you should be getting is a draw - it's not like they were four or five up at the time. We needed one goal.

There are no excuses. If it was a freak result then maybe you could let it go more easily but it's just another in a long line of shit being handed to us by Mr. 'one last big pay day' Houllier.

21 shots on goal to 11 and lost 1-2 against 10-men. Says it all really.

We simply do not have the firepower to put the ball in the net. We are crying out for a goal poacher and a creative midfielder who can shoot from distance. Hopefully these are the players Houllier will bring in soon.

VDV is a great player but an absolute arsehole.

And oh how I wish Pires had clocked Redknapp. He would have been worth every cent of his wages had he done so.

Great game by Lichaj today. Took this "world-class" winger out of the game completely.

And I disagree with those who say Albrighton played well today. He was okay, but 90% of his crosses were into Assou-Ekoto's legs and it was only once he & Downing swapped wings that he started to threaten.

It's not the players. It's the manager - wrong tactics, wrong substitutions.

i've got to disagree with that, you can't say this has nothing to do with the players. and as for subsitutions, Fonz came on and played better than Gabby, and we were all screaming for Petrov on for Hogg. aside from starting Petrov/NRC over Hogg I doubt many would've played it differently.

we can't control games, we can't break teams down, we're poor in midfield. the lack of a certain CM springs to mind.

70+ mins against 10 men...we should have won....

Well, it is Villa, we still have the counter attacking mentality. We rarely take a game to team. So, if anything, it probably made it harder.

Delph. Glad he started, maybe a little too early yes, however, he did not look too short of match fitness etc.

Lichaj. Sometimes Bale had the best of him but he recovered very well each time. High hopes for this lad.

Delfouneso. Needed a performance to prove his worth. Think he is starting to show some signs of what he can do. Still needs to go out on loan imo to a team where he will play more games for a few months or so.

Let face it, we played against a strong Spurs side with a world class number 10 in the terms of VDV. Something I wish we had here at Villa Park but we don't. Simply a classy performance from a classy player. Hats off to him.

We were very unlucky as well, we had chance after chance but just did not test Gomes enough and maybe that is down the lack of star quality up top.

Lack of confidence all round the club is my guess. That will happen with the results the way they are going but I still think there is a team spirit.

O DO NOT START CALLING FOR HOULLIERS HEAD, IMO, IT WAS THE PLAYERS NOT THE TACTICS ETC THAT LET US DOWN TODAY (people say we need to play two up top, he did. Cuellar, played. Maybe NRC or Petrov instead of Hogg but doubt it would have made that much of a difference)

Amen to that! Give Houllier time. Lets try and get mid table, get a squad of players who will play for him and see what happens. MON left us in the shit, we doing OK. Remember if we won today we went 9th. Its not all doom and gloom despite City and Chelsea next two games.

It's all very well thinking long term, but the way we're playing that planning could very well be for a campaign in the Championship.

The biggest mistake in this match was playing Hogg and Delph together from the start against a very strong spurs midfield. When we had experience available we didn't use it when we should have. Another case of leaving everything too late.

The VT overreaction train is right on time as per usual.

I didn't think we were THAT bad. It showed us what we've known about for years - we can't break teams down. Hopefully this is something that will change once Houllier can get his own players in and have a full pre-season. Still not good to lose though but let's face it - Spurs are a better team.

Lichaj MOTM. Bale once again proved he's far from world class.

I hope the 2 people who voted for Pires are just having a laugh.

I never want to see him on the pitch for us again.

He's slow, makes poor passes, and just is a liability when you are trying to chase a game.

I thought Collins had a **** poor game.

Someone needs to teach him not to get sucked in towards the ball so easily. It makes him rather easy to beat.

Cuellar made quite a few mistakes tonight, including the one against Bale for the second goal but with him an Lichaj on the right, I thought they were very solid. It was only when Cuellar was pulled over to cover Collins side that he made a lot of **** ups. 

I still think he's a great defender, he just needs the right partner. I really think Clark should be starting for us alongside Cuellar, the lack of positional sense and intelligent decision-making from Collins doesn't inspire me with ANY confidence.

Warnock, ok offensively, but **** shit defensively. Wtf is wrong with him?

Downing doesn't get back to defend. He's great going forward, but what made us so hard to beat under MON was players like Ashley coming back from the LW position to defend and put some pressure on the opposing team. Downing doesn't do that. I don't know why, it's not like he has a lack of pace and has to stay upfield to ensure a more potent counter.

I was impressed with Petrov when he came on, we really missed his presence in the middle of the park.

Albrighton struggled on the right, because he was essentially double-marked out of the game. He got a lot more joy on the left, when he had the 'Ashley Young' inswinger option, and it worked wonders. Only question is why didn't Houllier ask him to swap wings with Downing earlier, especially when it was obvious Marc wasn't getting much joy out on the left?

Lichaj, only positive from this game. Best right-back I've seen since Delaney, heck I would say on current performances, he seems better than Delaney. He possesses a great mix of natural ability and defensive acumen, for instance using his pace and his positioning to shut out Bale almost completely in the first-half. Cutting out the angles, and not letting Bale run around him. Fantastic player. And his attacking qualities, both in supporting the overlap and getting in crosses, those were top notch. His long crosses back into the box after the ball was cleared was fantastic. And his supporting runs into the box? Awesome to watch, and really dangerous.

Lichaj's performance today makes sitting through this disaster of a match almost worth it.

I am actually starting to hate this counter-attacking mentality we have, we've had it for ages and frankly it needs to get out of our system it will work for some teams not all. Oh and the left side of our pitch is so so so poor, when teams know they need a goal they target the left side and mainly where warnock is.. we'll continue to conceed goals with until this is sorted im afraid, ive seen it happen alot of times, suddenly teams pass it alot in the 2nd half on the left side and we just watch them do it and warnock falls flat on his arse with friedel jumping all over the place.

Â