The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

Selling my macbook air 2016 and getting it reset but when reinstalling MacOS Sierra it gets about 75% of the way there then says 'failed to download, please repurchase from appstore' or something to that effect.

Now, I'm stuck as I cannot get past this stage to get back to the desktop as I've essentially factory reset it so there's nothing to do other than set it up but it won't let me past the OS install screen.

Bit stuck.

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Selling my macbook air 2016 and getting it reset but when reinstalling MacOS Sierra it gets about 75% of the way there then says 'failed to download, please repurchase from appstore' or something to that effect.

Now, I'm stuck as I cannot get past this stage to get back to the desktop as I've essentially factory reset it so there's nothing to do other than set it up but it won't let me past the OS install screen.

Bit stuck.

Have you tried starting up and holding down the Command ( ⌘) and R keys? and going from there? Or is that what you were doing?

It may be happening because the original version of the OS was (say) Yosemite and once you've signed out it doesn't know you've upgraded it to Sierra?

edit

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

How to reinstall macOS

Learn how to install the Mac operating system again on your Mac.

Before you begin

If you're selling or giving away your Mac, you should first disable certain features and services. Then follow the steps in this article.

Otherwise, the easiest way to reinstall macOS is to install it again from the Mac App Store. If you can't reinstall using the Mac App Store, follow the steps in this article.

divider.png

Start up from macOS Recovery

macOS Recovery installs different versions of macOS depending on the key combination you press while starting up. Hold down one of these combinations immediately after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac. Release when you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe.

Command-R

Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version.1

Option-Command-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.2

Shift-Option-Command-R
Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later
Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available. 

1. If you're selling or giving away a Mac that is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, use Option-Command-R to make sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID.
2. If you haven't already installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, Option-Command-R reinstalls the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

When you see the macOS Utilities window, continue to the next section to determine whether to erase your startup disk or begin reinstalling macOS.

macos-sierra-recovery-mode-reinstall.png

divider.png

Erase your startup disk, if necessary

After starting up from macOS Recovery, decide whether to erase your startup disk or begin reinstalling macOS. You should erase your startup disk in these circumstances:

• You're selling or giving away your Mac, so you're clearing your Mac of anything associated with you, your data, or your Apple ID.
  • You want to resolve an issue that Disk Utility can't repair.
  • The macOS installer says that it can't install on your computer or volume, or that your startup disk can't be used to start up your computer. For example, if you try to install an older macOS on top of a newer macOS, the installer will say that it can't because a newer version is installed.

If none of these circumstances apply to you, skip to the next section to begin reinstalling macOS.

Erasing your startup disk permanently deletes all of the data stored on it.

If you need to erase your startup disk, follow these steps:

1. Select Disk Utility from the utilities window of macOS Recovery, then click Continue.
  2. Select your startup disk in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
    Select the disk name, not the volume name indented beneath it.
  3. Click the Erase button or tab.
    If you don't see an erase button or tab, select the volume name indented beneath the disk name, then look again.
  4. Complete these fields:
    • Name: Enter a name for your disk, such as "Macintosh HD".
    • Format: Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
    • Scheme (if available): Choose GUID Partition Map.
  5. Click Erase to begin erasing your disk.
  6. When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window. You're now ready to reinstall macOS.

Disk Utility window
In this example, the sidebar shows APPLE SSD as the disk name and Macintosh HD as the volume name.

divider.png

Reinstall macOS

Follow these steps after starting up from macOS Recovery:

1. Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the utilities window.
  2. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions. You'll be asked to select a startup disk and click Install.
    To verify eligibility to install macOS, your Mac serial number is sent to Apple, and you might be asked for your Apple ID.
  3. Your Mac restarts after installation is complete.

If you erased your disk before reinstalling, or you're creating a new startup disk, your Mac restarts to a setup assistant.

• If you're keeping your Mac, complete the setup assistant with your own information.
  • If you're selling or giving away your Mac, press Command-Q to quit the setup assistant without performing any of the setup steps. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete setup.

• 1 month later...

So my employer replaced my trusty iPhone 5 with an iPhone 7 Plus today. This thing is so big. Any tips on what's new with this model? The camera quality seems out of this world for a phone. I'm not that great with tech like this so any tips would be appreciated. (this phone is totally wasted on me.)

The snarky iPhone "genius" that came to give us our phones didn't like my many jokes about camera phones, old phones having tails etc.

Edited by magnkarl

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a question, my mate has asked me if I would like to buy his Macbook pro. I am not really apple user so have no idea about these things. its 17inch 4gb, 1TB core duo 2.66ghz and is willing to sell to me for £250. Does that sound reasonable for the specs for all you tech guys? He is going to freshen it up with a clean install for me also as he works in IT. Its in mint condition (no scratches or anything) 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So I have a question, my mate has asked me if I would like to buy his Macbook pro. I am not really apple user so have no idea about these things. its 17inch 4gb, 1TB core duo 2.66ghz and is willing to sell to me for £250. Does that sound reasonable for the specs for all you tech guys? He is going to freshen it up with a clean install for me also as he works in IT. Its in mint condition (no scratches or anything) 

I've got one of them Dem, (albeit with 8GB of memory in it). It's lovely. I bought it off the e bay in 2013 I think, for 500 quid. I've put an SSD in it and it's basically like a new computer.

The things to be aware of are potentially what sort of nick is the battery in - it'll be around 8 years old now.

Also the OS it runs is anything up to Yosemite (which is good) but not the very latest versions of MacOS/OSX

For 250 quid, if you're looking for a decent laptop with a big screen that runs a modern OS go for it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've got one of them Dem, (albeit with 8GB of memory in it). It's lovely. I bought it off the e bay in 2013 I think, for 500 quid. I've put an SSD in it and it's basically like a new computer.

The things to be aware of are potentially what sort of nick is the battery in - it'll be around 8 years old now.

Also the OS it runs is anything up to Yosemite (which is good) but not the very latest versions of MacOS/OSX

For 250 quid, if you're looking for a decent laptop with a big screen that runs a modern OS go for it.

My mate said to me he will put in a new battery for me as it needs it. 

I think I am going to go ahead as been looking online and they usually go for double the price. Thanks @blandy and @DK82

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Best thing I did - getting a mac. Wouldn't ever go back to Windows machines now, I have to use them at work and feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Can I ask why? I find when I used apple on my old iphone i could not do simple things like copy and paste music or do youtube converter 

Can I ask why? I find when I used apple on my old iphone i could not do simple things like copy and paste music or do youtube converter 

I can do that on my mac. The thing runs faster, boots up quicker, things are easier to manage. I just find the system much easier. I've had one mac in 4 years and yet my windows machines used to get buggy real quickly.

21 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I can do that on my mac. The thing runs faster, boots up quicker, things are easier to manage. I just find the system much easier. I've had one mac in 4 years and yet my windows machines used to get buggy real quickly.

yEah I know what you mean about windows. It gets slower and does become buggy. Are you able to play your movies directly off the macbook from a usb hardrive? 

when I used apple on my old iphone i could not do simple things like copy and paste music or do youtube converter

There's a difference between Apple iOS for telephones and tablets and the OSX/MacOS for apple computers.

It'll take a little while to adjust to the differences between windows and OSX, but not long, and there are various guides on the interwebs to help, or post in here.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Are you able to play your movies directly off the macbook from a usb hardrive? 

Yes. It can do most of what a Windows machines can do.

I've had an Air for 3 years and still runs beautifully.

I might consider a MacBook for my next laptop.

Won't be anytime soon, but I'm slowly moving back towards Apple after a long time away.

The other half has an iPad which I use, and like, a lot. She also has an iPhone. I now have an iPhone 7 for work which I like so much I'm considering getting one as my personal phone (or maybe merging to use one phone if I can swing a new one with work when the new iPhone is released this year)

So it would kind of make sense to go for the MacBook too. I don't really need it, certainly not yet. My chromebook suits me fine at the moment. But it's definitely something I'm considering.

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yes. It can do most of what a Windows machines can do.

I've had an Air for 3 years and still runs beautifully.

Cheers stefan i am gonna go for it. I am gonna hopefully enjoy this more than my old iphone which i disliked. Have a feeling i am going to prefer android tablets and phones but apple macs better 

• 3 weeks later...

Introduced my keyboard to apple juice for the first time last week. It didn't go well. 

Thankfully my MacBook is still working but I'm going to have to shell out for someone to clean it up properly. Most of the keys are still very sticky (I'm sure I'm not the first person to get a sticky residue on the keyboard) so it's taking me ages to type anything.

Anyone any idea how much it might cost to service/clean the keyboard?

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Introduced my keyboard to apple juice for the first time last week. It didn't go well. 

Thankfully my MacBook is still working but I'm going to have to shell out for someone to clean it up properly. Most of the keys are still very sticky (I'm sure I'm not the first person to get a sticky residue on the keyboard) so it's taking me ages to type anything.

Anyone any idea how much it might cost to service/clean the keyboard?

Apple will most likely tell you they need to replace the keyboard, no idea how much but it won't be cheap.

Just now, jim said:

Apple will most likely tell you they need to replace the keyboard, no idea how much but it won't be cheap.

I'm fully expecting that. The fact that the accident happened at work will probably mean I end up using the company plastic to get the work done ;)

• 1 month later...

I actually think it's one of the more ugly products Apple has made in recent years. And the fact that's the first thing you tend to think with Apple stuff, their looks, says a fair bit I think. It's not particularly good looking in the marketplace generally either I think.

I'm not entirely sure why it's so expensive, beyond 'because they think they can charge that much'.

Also fantastic to see Apple keep to their habit of saying things are revolutionary years after the competition did it. Tap to wake! My nearly 4 year old OnePlus has done that for ages, and that wasn't the first either.

Â