Aliens: Colonial Marines

GarethRDR

Was thinking of getting the Collectors Edition with Alien figure and Power loader, partly because it would be a cool things for display and partly because it might be worth something down the line, but at this rate it'll just be in the sale at 50% off

Read a few reviews today. Oh dear. It basically seems to fail in all departments - for a start off, it isn't a very good shooter. It doesn't look especially good. The campaign isn't good in terms of the story, all attempts to replicate scenes from the movie apparently fall flat, and there's the problem of linearity too. It's glitchy aswell, and suffers from screen tearing.

The best part of the game seems to be the multiplayer, with the split screen two player or online four player making the campaign much more palatable, and while the other multiplayer modes arent revolutionary, they at least work.

Edited by hogso

How this game got passed testing is beyond me. Can safely say it has the worst graphics this gen so far. I spent the first 5 minutes in the first room just looking around and laughing (i've not paid for it so I can laugh). 

Screen tearing is beyond a joke. All the edges are jagged as if it hasn't been through any kind of final polish and the textures are (and I'm really not exaggerating) straight from the PS2.

That's not even mentioning the game play. Completely terrible. The aliens AI is beyond a joke. They just stand in front of you flailing their little arms about waiting for you to shoot them.

All in all I'd say as a comedy title this gets 10/10. It's hilariously bad. I do feel very sorry for anyone who has paid £50+ for this. You have been well and truly 'had' by gearbox. They've sold you a complete turkey. There's not one aspect of this game that is up to current standards. I've played 'free to play' shooters on my mobile that beat this hands down.

For shame Gearbox, for shame  :(  :angry:  :o

How this game got passed testing is beyond me. Can safely say it has the worst graphics this gen so far. I spent the first 5 minutes in the first room just looking around and laughing (i've not paid for it so I can laugh). 

Screen tearing is beyond a joke. All the edges are jagged as if it hasn't been through any kind of final polish and the textures are (and I'm really not exaggerating) straight from the PS2.

That's not even mentioning the game play. Completely terrible. The aliens AI is beyond a joke. They just stand in front of you flailing their little arms about waiting for you to shoot them.

All in all I'd say as a comedy title this gets 10/10. It's hilariously bad. I do feel very sorry for anyone who has paid £50+ for this. You have been well and truly 'had' by gearbox. They've sold you a complete turkey. There's not one aspect of this game that is up to current standards. I've played 'free to play' shooters on my mobile that beat this hands down.

Well now I actually want to play it, just to see.

Well now I actually want to play it, just to see.

Wait 2 months and it's be £7.99 in the bargain bin. I'd get it then just for the comedy factor. This is the kind of game that future developers will use as a cautionary tale when talking to their designers: "hey be careful or our new game will do a 'Colonial Marines'."

It's a complete train wreck of a game. I really don't know how a single person at SEGA, Gearbox, 20th Century Fox or Timegate hasn't played this and actually thought "Hang on guys, this is complete shit".

There's a reddit thread shedding some light on the dev process for this game. Apparently Gearbox kept shelving it in favour of focussing on Borderlands while Sega got increasingly impatient, justifiably. Gearbox farmed out bits to other studios to take the resource burden off themselves and now it's been rushed out the door just in time to avoid the possibility of legal action from Sega.

Edited by Laivasse

True, it's well publicised that they shipped out the Campaign mode to TimeGate Studios, who had previously done their own RTS and a shooter called Section 8, as well as a few FEAR expansions.

As for waiting till it gets cheaper, for sure, or maybe I'll rent it.

This whole thing reminds me of Vanguard (the MMO) suffering a similar development hell. The game wasn't farmed out to a sub-contracted developer like A:CM but the developers themselves - Sigil Games (more specifically their joint CEOs) - lied their way to securing money with outright fakery. Many of their gameplay presentations at trade shows were complete fabrications designed to not only fool the press but also their publisher (Microsoft) into believing that they were working on the game when they were in fact not. Microsoft caught wind of the bullshit eventually and pulled out before legal action took place. Sony bless em bought the game and then shortly after its release realised what a turkey they'd bought and since then have had to fix it themselves to get some kind of return. The game had allegedly been in development for something like 5 years, crafted by MMO heavyweights - in truth, the shipped product was created in less than a year by amateur programmers fresh into the industry. Sigil didn't survive the mess.

Gearbox undoubtedly will survive this but boy has their reputation taken an absolute battering. Randy Pitchford in particular - I always thought that guy came across as genuine and passionate about making videogames (and maybe he is) but he's taken a massive misstep by flat out lying about A:CM. If I were Sega, I'd still be pursuing legal action against them (which apparently was very close to happening and the reason why the game got kicked out the door clearly rushed and unfinished). Heads should roll for this game.

Edited by Sie

Funny, I've long thought Pitchford was a tosser. He had that thing a while ago where he raged at critics that just came across terribly.

This has just shown him to be a bare faced liar too.

Gearbox really aren't that good, and this (and Duke) haven't helped them.

I'd like to think a lot of people recognized Gearbox involvement in DNF as bringing it to market for the sake of the fans who'd waited so long. A rescue job lots of people were hoping for (or a cynical PR move depending on your perspective). Ultimately, I think the fact the game was fundamentally shite and wasn't worth saving is more of a condemnation of 3D Realms.

But A:CM? This is Gearbox well and truly caught with their pants down. They were't liberal with the truth - they've outright bullshitted everyone. It's all quiet on Randy Pitchford's usually very active twitter account.

Â