Houllier and the Malaise

blandy

GH seems to give off an air of apathy, like he's not too concerned either way. Looking back at his month long delay after agreeing to terms with Villa, it makes perfect sense. He never had a sense of urgency or passion for the job. It's like he really just wants another little taste of the English game for old time's sake. A stroll down memory lane.

If these results continue, Lerner needs to act swiftly, sack GH and sign Martin Jol. Hopefully they've already sussed out his interest in the job.

Although he hasn't been particularly offensive to anyone, there is a similar debate going on regarding Roy Hodgson's tenure on the This Is Anfield forum. Despite the reputation we have for patience with managers, most of the people who post on it want him gone too, due to the defensive, 'underdog' way he has of setting up the team. Me, I'm hoping that he'll grow into the club, but obviously that's going to take time.

I know that Houlllier brought dross, such as the likes of Cheyrou to us, but then again, he was responsible for signing Hyypia, Henchoz and Hamann too (nice bit of alliteration, there!). His masterstroke though, was getting Gary McAllister, who only played for us for a short time, but is regarded as legendary by LFC fans, so he is capable of making good signings too.

Although he hasn't been particularly offensive to anyone, there is a similar debate going on regarding Roy Hodgson's tenure on the This Is Anfield forum. Despite the reputation we have for patience with managers, most of the people who post on it want him gone too, due to the defensive, 'underdog' way he has of setting up the team. Me, I'm hoping that he'll grow into the club, but obviously that's going to take time.

I know that Houlllier brought dross, such as the likes of Cheyrou to us, but then again, he was responsible for signing Hyypia, Henchoz and Hamann too (nice bit of alliteration, there!). His masterstroke though, was getting Gary McAllister, who only played for us for a short time, but is regarded as legendary by LFC fans, so he is capable of making good signings too.

liverpool have been blessed with the wrong managers for quite some time now. If you had been fortunate enough to have signed a Mourinho/Guardiola/Wenger/young Fergie type of manager 15 years ago Liverpool could have been the greatest team in the world right now. You certainly had some great players coming through to build on, the big name and large fan base. All you needed was the right man in charge.

Couldn't get past the first line. Eloquence doesn't hide ignorance.

A difference of opinion does not constitute ignorance, as I'm sure you are aware.

I have probably tempered a little since I wrote that on Wednesday, but I am still skeptical about Houllier in the long term.

I think we'll win tomorrow though, which might lift the mood a little. We need to see a response, that's or sure. It's going to get very ugly if we don't.

Well said. There are important things for me to tackle here, they are the risk to our young players under this sort of cload and secondly the fact I get the real feelings I had under Billy McNeill and GT MK2.

There is, as rightly pointed out, NO LEADERSHIP anywhere. Randy and Paul Faulkner are good businessmen and are very personable - not leaders. The General was a leader but he is non-exec and across the pond. GH isn't a leader and clearly on the pitch there isn;t a leader.

We're all DOOMED I tell ya! :7:

:) Dennis, I hope you feel a little better after the Albion result!

Though I'm as disappointed as anyone that we're not trailblazing this season, a lot has gone against GH and I think we should realise that - perhaps we should all take a month off to let the injured get back to fitness and form and then consider the situation!!

Give him a chance for goodness sake ... players back to fitness and one or two good signings will make the world of difference!!

Not quite so suicidal now Lerg but still a long way to go before I am convinced we are moving in the right direction. Bar a post and a shit shot in the 93rd minute we could easily have dropped points yesterday.

I was absolutely delighted seeing Lihaj, Albrighton, Hogg and Bannan starting and was really impressed with their performances. This is my concern that all this nonsense effects them in the longer term.

We will both remember a certain Jimmy Brown, Villas youngest ever skipper get totally ruined because of the demise of the club at that time. Perhaps not so serious now but this is my concern.

I was resigned to at least one season of transformation after MON buggered off, even if he stayed I think that would have happened. It is the atmosphere about the club that needs sorting and bloody quickly as the fans will turn as soon as it goes wrong.

Yes, good points, Denis. I know what you mean about Jimmy Brown and I think that the Mercer Minors suffered burn-out as a result of being over-used, so looking after youngsters is an important issue.

With R-C back - and hopefully Ireland making some impact alongside him - I feel that we won't have to rely so much on youngsters now.

As to the fans, well there's too much reaction i.m.o. It seems to me that the fans expect too much PC (correctness, not the machine!) and react to anything even if the reaction is unreasonable! In the recent climate when Villa had a poor run of results then that is understandable to a degree, but on the other hand that run was surely not much down to GH?!

Yes, this is an awkward period we're going through, but I reckon that Villa will be in a better state than Liverpool pretty soon. But then I'm always an optimist! :winkold:

But if rumours have any foundation RC and Ireland are off so it's tine to see if GH can manipulate the markets....but then it's the settling down period with a new team to worry about....just hope we pick up more points before the clear out.

Certainly not all GH fault I lay most of the blame with MON but his buys of Milner and Ash will probably turn into the transfer kitty at his disposal.

It would help the club if they were to keep in touch with the fans on a regular basis. Thats why the Generals thread on several sites was so good. Maybe if the club would just make a statement every week as to whats happening, taking into account any and all rumours that have hit the sites.

It would be good PR for the club and it would mean the manager would get more time to get his idea's over to the players, before the fans jumped on his back, if they knew what he was trying to do.. It might help if the manager did a weekly thread, even a one off would help, just to explain his footballing philosophy.

Â