Scientific Experiment V3#02-G.Houllier Approval Ratings

Gringo

Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager this month?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager this month?

• Yes
    • No

For those who want him sacked, you'd think we'd be an attractive option to any manager with any nous after they see how quickly/harshly Houllier was dealt with?

Much work to be done at Villa now for me, and a job that's next to impossible to succeed at, in the current Premier league conditions.

A manager knows he wouldn't have time and couldnt really win.

This is a different poll to the MON ones. I voted No here, but I'd like him to stay as a manager.

Not very scientific to change the goalposts

Not every experiment operates within the same parameters of every other experiment. The previous set of polls were carried out with managers either 2 or 3 years into their reign. A monthly opinion poll from the start of a managers stint probably holds up better.

Based on the results since the start of the last poll - 1 win, 2 draws, 2 defeats in League and out of the Carling Cup to that tripe down the road then its impossible to vote any other way than No. If people approve of results like that then our standards have certainly fallen. All very sad in my opinion as we should be doing much better.

I am not sure we could have got a better manager if we wanted one with a reputation. What we could have done, and it would have gone down like a lead ballon with most fans is take a real chance. We could have found a young manager forging a reputation and said have a go. Everton picked Moyes when he was relatively obscure, and he’s turned out well (he could have been a disaster). Because we ‘think’ we are big, we demand a manager with the ‘right’ reputation. We could have appointed say; Paul Lambert. He’s won the champions League. He’s doing a fantastic job at Norwich, took Wycombe to the semis of the League Cup and the playoffs. Oh and he’s a MON disciple :D

Based on the results since the start of the last poll - 1 win, 2 draws, 2 defeats in League and out of the Carling Cup to that tripe down the road then its impossible to vote any other way than No. If people approve of results like that then our standards have certainly fallen. All very sad in my opinion as we should be doing much better.
Why do you always act as if there are people who are happy witht the results? Approving of Houllier for the month doesn't mean approving of the results.

Why do you always act as if there are people who are happy witht the results? Approving of Houllier for the month doesn't mean approving of the results.
Very true. The results are only one way of measuring the satisfaction of the fans - otherwise the poll question would have been how many points did we win since the last poll - and rather pointless. Some months will be better than others in terms of results, but the other actions of the manager, including signings (bobby), tactics and communication all come to bare.

Football can be a simple game. You have to put the ball in the net more than the opposition!

In order to do that you need to defend well (Davies/Cuellar need to be utilised)

In order to score you need people who can put the ball in the net! Apart from Gabby, in Houllier's current line up, I couldn't see anyone else scoring more than say 7 or 8 for us in the league this season.

We've got to be braver!

Very true. The results are only one way of measuring the satisfaction of the fans - otherwise the poll question would have been how many points did we win since the last poll - and rather pointless. Some months will be better than others in terms of results, but the other actions of the manager, including signings (bobby), tactics and communication all come to bare.

I stand corrected mate. Thankfully my vote would still have been the same.

Football can be a simple game. You have to put the ball in the net more than the opposition!

In order to do that you need to defend well (Davies/Cuellar need to be utilised)

In order to score you need people who can put the ball in the net! Apart from Gabby, in Houllier's current line up, I couldn't see anyone else scoring more than say 7 or 8 for us in the league this season.

We've got to be braver!

Unfortunately I don't see anyone in the squad who will do that either.

The best striker partnership we have is Heskey, Gabby and neither have been fit at the same time as each other.

Unfortunately the question should be clear.

Under Mon, it was pretty much 'right man to take us further'.....yes, no, undecided.

Now it's approval....approval for what? months results? if he's the right man? if we should give him time?

Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager this month?

How hard is that? As said on the previous page, MON and DOL were in completely different phases of their Villa career (one assumes). Are you happy with what the manager achieved in the month since the last poll. Not hard.

• 4 weeks later...

Where's December's one of these? I thought they popped up after the last available match of each month. We don't play again til 2nd Jan.

Not that I'm going to be too surprised by the result! Wonder if it'll be in the eighties or nineties percentages of people against...

Â