SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Agreed Julie. It just depends on how we want to use him now. N'Zogbia is a winger and we weren't using Young as a winger so in that sense he's not his replacement. He's Downing's replacement. If we want to replace Young i.e. an 'off the striker' midfielder then that's where Kranjcar comes into the picture IMHO.

Though all of the above, as I say, assumes McLeish won't in some way change the system. By all accounts he's not gone on wingers, which is where the likes of Hutton come into it. Bombing wingbacks and a relatively narrow and compact midfield.

CNZ is a winger BOF but like Ash often drifs into the middle to take a shot and supply the front line. Which actually Downing also did on occasions for us & England.

One of my lads had in him in his fantasy football team last season and was always going on about how great he was blah blah....desperate for Liverpool to sign him this summer - as that's the team he unfortunately supports (spit bricks!).

Sounds like it was tied up with the Downing deal after all.

I'm still worried we are not going to bother replacing Young though.

Dont worry. Of course he will be replaced. Finally getting the Downing deal done will kick start our activity. Now we know 100% where we stand.

A little consolation...... that a number of LFC fans who are probably more aware of N'Zogbia's talents than we are because of the proxemity of Wigan

to Liverpool are starting to pick up that we've got Zoggy in the bag and actually have the better deal.

Whelan will not have wanted him to end up playing for Liverpool also there's fierce rivalry up here between Wiganites and Scousers!

Intersting. Which I assume would mean we had this lined up before we agreed a fee for Downy?

So the Villa fan living in Wigan reckoned last week.

It was a done deal and he wasn't flying out this Monday with the rest of the squad to Sweden.

Sounds like it was tied up with the Downing deal after all.

I'm still worried we are not going to bother replacing Young though.

Dont worry. Of course he will be replaced. Finally getting the Downing deal done will kick start our activity. Now we know 100% where we stand.

Why couldn't we replace Young when we sold him?

Why does it take Downing being sold to kickstart our transfer activity?

It looks more like we were happy to let Albrighton take Youngs spot and only needed to sign a winger once Downing was sold as well.

If McLeish pulls this off today it will leave me smiling.. N'Zogbia is a better player than Downing, hands down, excellent business if we sign him for even a penny less than we get for that dishonourable word removed Downing

Why does it take Downing being sold to kickstart our transfer activity?

because then as the guy said... Whelan knows he's not going to get a better offer from Liverpool possibly?

As he was hoping because they've spent wads on Downing.... Like I said Whelan would prefer to have NOT sold one of his stars to LFC but it's all about the money!!!

That's fine by me. Albrighton is class and will get better, he needs to figure more.

But we still need another option for the wide positions. Somebody to challenge N'Zogbia and Albrighton rather than take a guaranteed starting spot. Maybe a loan signing from Europe.