SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Just reading an interview with Eck and it says the Zog might not be ready for the Fulham game as he could be called up for France next week.

As a club we could step in and say no we need him here as we thin on numbers etc.. though McLeish will let him go anyway.

How could we say that?

If you withhold a player from playing for their national side they are banned from their next club game.

Not really, Mourinho did it with Ozil and Khedira just recently.. because of the super cup.

Ozil and Khedira are established international players, Nzogbia is always on the Fringe, its unlikely he'll want to do anything to scupper future chances, also the French are probably not as sensible or understanding as the Germans

Thats my blanket stereotyping for the day done.

I am sure the squad was announced a couple of days ago and he is not in it.

Here is the list of players, as confirmed by the FFF (France Football Federation).

Goalkeepers: Cedric Carrasso (Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille)

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Barcelona), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Younes Kaboul (Tottenham), Adil Rami (Valencia), Anthony Reveillere (Lyon), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Mamadou Sakho (Paris Saint-Germain)

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle), Alou Diarra (Marseille), Yann M'Vila (Rennes), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Marvin Martin (Sochaux), Blaise Matuidi (Paris Saint-Germain), Samir Nasri (Arsenal)

Strikers: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Kevin Gameiro (Paris Saint-Germain), Guillaume Hoarau (Paris Saint-Germain), Jeremy Menez (Paris Saint-Germain), Dimitri Payet (Saint-Etienne), Loic Remy (Marseille).

CHARLES N’Zogbia and Alex McLeish have shrugged off last summer’s transfer collapse after Villa’s new signing finally revealed why he turned down Blues a year ago.

N’Zogbia is poised for his debut at Braga in Portugal today (6pm) after McLeish eventually got his man, albeit for the claret and blues rather than their fierce foes.

And the French winger has lifted the lid on why he rejected a move to St Andrew’s 12 months ago, claiming he “did not think Birmingham was bigger than Wigan”.

N’Zogbia completed his £9.5 million switch from the Latics on a five-year deal last Friday and has spent the last week at Bodymoor Heath stepping up his fitness.

Asked why he pulled out of a move to Blues last August after Wigan accepted an £9 million offer, N’Zogbia replied: “I wasn’t sure about it.

“I never said I wanted to leave Wigan, or maybe if it was another club it may have changed my thinking.

“But maybe Birmingham or Wigan at that moment were the same.

"So I was thinking I’m happy at Wigan and I am going to stay here. If I wanted to move I would go to a big club and at the time I did not think Birmingham was bigger than Wigan.

‘‘So I just decided to stay. It was my decision and I don’t regret it and I’m happy for that.”

N’Zogbia was relieved McLeish did not hold a grudge and, asked if the pair had shared a joke about last summer’s events, he revealed: “Yes, of course. He is a great man and I have good feelings about him. He can be strong, but he is a good man so it is good to be here.

“In football you can forgive people. I have just got to show that on the pitch I can make everybody happy.

“I think Villa is a bigger challenge for me.

“I never regret what I do. When I moved from Newcastle to Wigan I didn’t regret it.

“I just worked on the pitch and showed what I can do. I came to Villa and I have an important job to do and hope I can do well here.”

N’Zogbia is confident he is fit enough to start today’s match despite a summer disrupted by France duty, his transfer and a delayed holiday in Dubai.

The 25-year-old’s debut will be his first match of pre-season and Villa’s final friendly as McLeish’s men prepare for next Saturday’s Premier League opener at Fulham.

“I’m not the kind of guy who would spend the summer drinking,” he added.

“I was running and working in the morning in the gym to make sure I was fit for when I came back.

“The Braga match is going to be a good chance to get to know my team-mates and to play in the first game together.

“It’s going to be a good experience and a good game to watch them play and get involved.

“The first game is never easy. You have to know exactly what kind of player you are playing with, then after that you can work hard on it and it will become easier.

“It’s up to the manager whether he starts me in the game. I’ve told him I’m fine, I’m ready to play, I’ve been working hard for a week. All I need is some more games and it will be good.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2011/08/06/aston-villa-s-charles-n-zogbia-reveals-why-he-turned-down-birmingham-city-97319-29189026/

I'm expecting more goals that either Downing or Young have scored in a season but less assists

I was thinking the same thing.

But then, he's never had a striker like Bent playing alongside him (not in the Premiership anyway). If N'Zogbia can get to the byline and pull some back there's no-one better at sticking them in.

I think Albrighton will be our main assist guy this year. He is capable of beating men and getting crosses in quickly, and Bent is more than capable of getting half a yard and getting on the end of them.

Between Albrighton and N'Zogbia out wide, and Ireland/Bannan through balls, I can see Bent still having plenty of service, but I think N'Zogbia will be more of a goal scorer than provider.

I can see Bent still having plenty of service

based on pre season?

I don't see it.. and it worries me that he isn't getting the service, he is so isolated upfrontand the past few matches we have created little chances.

I hope your right but based on pre season I do not see him getting plenty of service.

based on pre season?

No. Just based on my opinion of the personnel around him. I've never believed pre-season is a particularly good indicator of anything other than match fitness and sharpness. But I think if N'Zogbia and Ireland can settle and form a partnership with him then there's nothing to suggest they won't be devastating as an attacking force. Yes, it's a big if, but I think we can be optimistic at the moment.

Zoggy looked good but share same concerns as others, total lack of service to Bent in pre-season.

That's why I'd be playing Bannan (aside from the fact that he's been one of the few bright points of pre-season).