SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

This latest craze (it happened with Given too) of totalling the entire cost of a player including the transfer fee and the wages he'll be earning over the length of his contract is very annoying. This period will include the club earning hundreds of millions at the same time. 36m is not crazy. It's not like it's all paid right now. It would be crazy as a transfer fee, but not as an entire cost. A cost that some plausible scenarios would result in them not paying the full amount of anyway e.g. an outward transfer.

Why is it very annoying ?? Point is, we've been naive / wreckless in the market for too long resulting in AVFC the business losing approx £100,000k per DAY !!

We need to be more savvy going forward, thats why you have to look at the fee / wages / resale opps as a whole package

Got bored and looked on the Ready to Go Sunderland forum in regards to N'Zogbia.

It's hilarious reading.

They genuinely think they are getting him, and that he'd reject Villa to go to Sunderland.

Also, they reckon they're going to be challenging for top 6. haha

They'll do well to finish top 10. Oh and apparently Sunderland and Villa have identical aspirations and potential.

Just a shit club thinking they compare to AVFC, yet they're not even on our radar. Quite funny really.

I think they are ATM.

This latest craze (it happened with Given too) of totalling the entire cost of a player including the transfer fee and the wages he'll be earning over the length of his contract is very annoying. This period will include the club earning hundreds of millions at the same time. 36m is not crazy. It's not like it's all paid right now. It would be crazy as a transfer fee, but not as an entire cost. A cost that some plausible scenarios would result in them not paying the full amount of anyway e.g. an outward transfer.

Why is it very annoying ?? Point is, we've been naive / wreckless in the market for too long resulting in AVFC the business losing approx £100,000k per DAY !!

We need to be more savvy going forward, thats why you have to look at the fee / wages / resale opps as a whole package

for the money thats been spent its been a paltry return and we've ended up with a ridiculous wage / turnover percentile

It's annoying because the final figure is not the figure that the player will cost the club. It's a simplistic bit of maths based on him a) staying for the entirety of his contract B) the club getting zero for him after that and c) it even ignores the possibility of a re-negotiated contract.

The actual final cost to the club probably bears little resemblance to the fairly simple figure arrived at today. It also ignores the intangible benefits of league position bonuses and/or cup wins that the player will earn the club.

It is inaccurate and totally meaningless. That's why it's annoying. And people say "ZOMG" to this mythical figure. If they want to work out the first year then fine, transfer fee plus wage*52 but the rest is just usually people trying to negatively paint a transfer out to be more expensive than the player should be.

I don't think that a healthy dose of realism among fans is a bad thing. The fact that in a very general way we are starting to appreciate that if you take these sums and then realise that the entire squad each have their own financial package, then perhaps we can begin to accept that wages have rightly become such a pressing issue for Randy.

When you buy a house you don't just need to figure out whether you can afford the deposit. You add in every single financial outgoing to make sure that you don't end up living in a cardboard box.

What a media whore :lol:

From what I heard of him, despite him saying he'd like to keep Charles, he's desperate for the cash. However he wants the money up front so they can replace him properly. Something I think Randy will do. He then says 'several' other clubs in the PL want him, well there's a big difference between interest and putting a bid in so I think he's trying to pressure us here. Unless someone such as Tottenham come in for him, nobody else will be able to pay up front. As mentioned even if Everton sell Jagielka they need to replace him first rather then get a winger in.

I reckon he'd budge over the price, but is that a risk worth taking if another club comes in or we have to play our pre-season without him.

So he hasn't gone to Austria then?

Tweets from Newcastle that rumour is Routledge has been lined up as his replacement at Wigan.

Quite a few outlets including Fourth Official as somone posted earlier that Villa will be sorting this all out this weekend.

Maybe that's why McLeish said "players are flying out to HK tomorrow" and didn't say "we're all flying out" :detect:

My feeling is that Whelan had an offer in the bag but he's been hoping if he kept us dangling another club would come in

with a bigger offer.

I don't think it's happening because EFC have nowt, SAFC have already said they ain't biddling & Newcastle said he's off

somewhere else.

And he's realising he risks getting nowt for him if he keeps him.

I'm sure he'll have sqeezed more out of Randy Lerner though or a bigger sell on clause.

well if nzogbia hasnt gone with the wigan team it suggests they think something will be sorted imminently.

i dont believe whelan when he says that as soon as he gets an offer for 10 mil he will sell. it wouldnt surprise me if we have actually offered that, but at the moment he wont sell while theres a chance other teams are interested. he will be trying to start a bidding war and drive up the price.

and is there another chairman out there who loves getting in the media so much?