SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Hypothetically then. What happens if we then says £11m publically? Do we just go another £1m higher?

For me no we wouldn't match it. But then I seriously doubt your hypothetical situation will happen if we were to bid the £10m that they've now asked for.

also if you pay £1m extra per transfer, over 10 players you've spent an extra £10mill, which could have been another player for free.

so by haggling over 1 mill, for every 10 players you buy, you get 1 for free!

I will be seriously pissed off if we don't bid £10 million for him. So what if Whelan apparently put the price up, he has said that it's £10 mill now, that is the price. It's not like there are lots of options out there, and considering the season N'Zogbia had last season he is good value.

People saying who would we get for 1million i think are looking at it wrong. Its where you put the extra million. Say we had 20 million to spend for 3 players and you've set 9million for nzogbia then 8million for say Parker and 3million for hutton (these are examples) then the one million that gets added on to the nzogbia fee means you have 1 million less for either parker or hutton therefore making all 3 transfers less possible and having to go after a plan B or C somewhere else that's why im guessing they are haggling

Except we've been told only one more major transfer.

We've also been told transfer news like "we wont sign a striker" you could then break the 8 million for parker into two 4 million pound players the math is still the same we may not be able to bring in as many as we would like due to the extra million here and there on players. I personally want him and think 10million is what we'll pay so should just get it over with but if it means other players cant be bought in after further assessment of the squad then we should continue to negotiate.

I will be seriously pissed off if we don't bid £10 million for him. So what if Whelan apparently put the price up, he has said that it's £10 mill now, that is the price. It's not like there are lots of options out there, and considering the season N'Zogbia had last season he is good value.

I'm beginning to think we should pay the £10m, make sure the contract is signed, and then issue a full and frank statement expressing our delight with the player but extreme disappointment at the Chairman of the selling club moving the goal posts and that our witnessed good practices are not reciprocated. Let Whelan put that in his pipe and smoke it.

Suppose if he's asking for 50k a week, and we wait til the last minute of the window to sign him. Though we will have upped the bid to 10m, wouldn't we have effectively saved 250k in wages?

by then we will have played 3 Prem games, given his ability as a match winner. If an N'Zogbia goal won or even drew us a match, that could be the difference between a league position or two which I'm sure would give us more money? so that would seem a silly thought process to me anyway.

really dont see him being worth 10m, how old is he ? Will he have resale ?

He is only just turned 25, he is 2 years younger than Downing. He is well worth £10 million, especially if Downing is worth £20 million. He had just as good, if not a better season that Downing this year.

really dont see him being worth 10m, how old is he ? Will he have resale ?

He is only just turned 25, he is 2 years younger than Downing. He is well worth £10 million, especially if Downing is worth £20 million. He had just as good, if not a better season that Downing this year.

Ok seems like a viable business move, if we get say 2 good seasons out of him, he will have cost 10m + say 50k/ week wages so another 5m. total outlay 15m, we could then sell on for say 15-20m, so could work

Downing will have no resale, shocking investment of 20m by Dalglish + 80k wages over 4 years, total outlay 36m for Downing !! Crazy

Playing devils advocate, not all transfers need to be looked at in terms of resale. If Downing helps Liverpool win things again in those 4 years then surely it's money well spent?

Having said that I hope the word removed plays shit and is taken out by Stan again! :angry:

This latest craze (it happened with Given too) of totalling the entire cost of a player including the transfer fee and the wages he'll be earning over the length of his contract is very annoying. This period will include the club earning hundreds of millions at the same time. 36m is not crazy. It's not like it's all paid right now. It would be crazy as a transfer fee, but not as an entire cost. A cost that some plausible scenarios would result in them not paying the full amount of anyway e.g. an outward transfer.

Directly involved in 17 of Wigans 40 goals last season. There's also the age old argument that if you put him around better players it will make him look all the more better as well.

This latest craze (it happened with Given too) of totalling the entire cost of a player including the transfer fee and the wages he'll be earning over the length of his contract is very annoying. This period will include the club earning hundreds of millions at the same time. 36m is not crazy. It's not like it's all paid right now. It would be crazy as a transfer fee, but not as an entire cost. A cost that some plausible scenarios would result in them not paying the full amount of anyway e.g. an outward transfer.

Why is it very annoying ?? Point is, we've been naive / wreckless in the market for too long resulting in AVFC the business losing approx £100,000k per DAY !!

We need to be more savvy going forward, thats why you have to look at the fee / wages / resale opps as a whole package

Got bored and looked on the Ready to Go Sunderland forum in regards to N'Zogbia.

It's hilarious reading.

They genuinely think they are getting him, and that he'd reject Villa to go to Sunderland.

Also, they reckon they're going to be challenging for top 6. haha

They'll do well to finish top 10. Oh and apparently Sunderland and Villa have identical aspirations and potential.

Just a shit club thinking they compare to AVFC, yet they're not even on our radar. Quite funny really.

Why is it very annoying ?? Point is, we've been naive / wreckless in the market for too long resulting in AVFC the business losing approx £100,000k per DAY !!

We need to be more savvy going forward, thats why you have to look at the fee / wages / resale opps as a whole package

It's annoying because the final figure is not the figure that the player will cost the club. It's a simplistic bit of maths based on him a) staying for the entirety of his contract B) the club getting zero for him after that and c) it even ignores the possibility of a re-negotiated contract.

The actual final cost to the club probably bears little resemblance to the fairly simple figure arrived at today. It also ignores the intangible benefits of league position bonuses and/or cup wins that the player will earn the club.

It is inaccurate and totally meaningless. That's why it's annoying. And people say "ZOMG" to this mythical figure. If they want to work out the first year then fine, transfer fee plus wage*52 but the rest is just usually people trying to negatively paint a transfer out to be more expensive than the player should be.