SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

N'zogbia isnt better than Ash at anything imo. Hel probably give us more balance tbh, but other than that we wontr be getting a better player. Id take him dont get me wrong, but this will be a signing that i fully expect to happen this summer and have done for months. Not overly sure what evryones getting excited about tbh.

N'Zogbia can and has played left-back in the past as well, hasn't he? Just thinking with our watered-down squad that kind of versatility could prove valuable.

Sounds like a Michel Bastos!

I would really love it if we buy him though. No better or no worse than Ash in my opinion, they are as good as each other - in their own ways.

N'zogbia isnt better than Ash at anything imo. Hel probably give us more balance tbh, but other than that we wontr be getting a better player. Id take him dont get me wrong, but this will be a signing that i fully expect to happen this summer and have done for months. Not overly sure what evryones getting excited about tbh.

Better dribbler and finisher imo. Not saying he's better though.

Agree, I don't think he's quite up to Ash's standard (when either at their best). But what he is, is undoubtedly the most suitable player to replace Ashley, and you never know, he might actually work out better for the team.

It makes sense, as I remember McLeish long fought for him at Small Heath, but not convinced he has the right attitude. Perhaps his end product will be what we need, but I know from watching him that when things aren't going his way he really goes missing.

Maybe a bit more of a disciplinarian such as McLeish (then again he did allow that end-of-season Blues party to take place) could get the best out of him.

And hopefully on a five-year deal, too. To keep the hounds away after we turn him into a superstar...

Absolutely right.. it simply has to be 5 year deals from now on surely? Provided the player is young enough of course :lol:

Been thinking a lot about this lately as this is the key to us not losing our best players all the time.. For me we need to break some new ground as regards the type of contract we offer. Whether possible & realistic i wouldn't know but i do know that "where there's a will there's a way" (my granny told me many years ago & nobody but nobody could possibly argue against my Granny! :lol: )

So how could this be done i wonder? What about a 4 year deal with a 2 year option in the clubs & the players favour? This would stop it being too much of a problem if the player lost form or whatever & also would guarantee at least 4 years if he developed well but it would also mean that options would be open with both parties being protected.. I.E

1. If the Liverpools of this world came sniffing around after say 2 or 3 years of the said player joining, the club would have sufficient grounds to keep control of the situation.

2. If the player was worried about signing a contract of that length a clause could be included whereby if a huge club came in for him & he wanted out he could go after a minimum of 3 seasons though the 2 year option would automatically be activated meaning there would be 3 years remaining so Villa would command a top fee for him.. No more running down of contracts as in the player still can leave but the club are guaranteed at least 3 seasons for their investment.

3. An automatic transfer option at the end of the 4 year period although the club can still activate the 2 year option so as to again protect them regards getting a decent fee for the player.

This is the kind of thing which i think needs to be looked at? One thing is for sure something needs to be done as Aston Villa are one of the 3 or 4 clubs who suffer from this year in year out because we have the potential to break up the dominance of those "huge" clubs & they know it!

Player power, I'm afraid.

People are too quick to say we need to sign players on 5 years etc, but it is only the top clubs that seem to be able to do this, and that is for one reason only.

Having a 4 year deal with a 2 year option in the clubs & the players favour would still leave the club needing to get the players permission to sign the extension before the extension was enforced, so leaves us in a similar situation to there not being one there originally.

You'd do well to tie N'Zogbia down to a 5 year deal. The man's a bit of a journeyman in footballing terms I'm afraid, always on the look out for his next big step up.

I have no problem with us signing him, but let's not cry about the likelyhood that he'd have his head turned just as easily as Milner, Barry & Young did.

You'd do well to tie N'Zogbia down to a 5 year deal. The man's a bit of a journeyman in footballing terms I'm afraid, always on the look out for his next big step up.

I have no problem with us signing him, but let's not cry about the likelyhood that he'd have his head turned just as easily as Milner, Barry & Young did.

2 clubs in 7 years? I wouldn't call that being a journeyman.

2 clubs in 7 years? I wouldn't call that being a journeyman.

My point was more the fact that he makes no secret of his ambitions to move on to bigger things. He'd barely been in form for Wigan for 5 mintues before he stated his desire to play for a bigger club, and it was a similar situation at Newcastle IIRC.

He'd barely been in form for Wigan for 5 mintues before he stated his desire to play for a bigger club, and it was a similar situation at Newcastle IIRC.

Which begs the question, why on Earth did he go to Wigan in the first place? :lol:

No, in all seriousness, I agree. In my speculative opinion, he simply saw Wigan as a stepping stone, they were clearly no better than Newcastle and probably didnt ever intend on staying there for more time than was necessary.

That's my one major concern over him; his ego. He does seem to think he's vastly better than he actually is. I remember he was constantly touting alleged moves to Arsenal and the like whenever his Newcastle-form dipped, and yet none of the big boys came calling.

I think he'd be good for us, but almost equally as frustrating.