rjw63

Should we bin the Eurofags?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bin the Eurofags?

• Yes, they are shite
    • No, they are great
    • Meh, I don't give a toss

I thought stephen Fry was the voice of the world not Eddie Izzard :winkold:

I'm slightly confused and with respect what does you wanting to live In Europe have to do with the UK being in The Eu or not ? You still could do all those things, I lived in Hungary before they joined the EU ,Europe isn't suddenly going to ban English people

AWOL has said a lot of it already , even if he has stolen it uncredited from Ukip's web site :winkold: don't let the fact that Ukip has a few fuckwits in it detract from the principal that some of what they say is right

Meh, you live further South than me :-)

My bad , It's just some of the facts and figures you quoted are straight out of their book... Maybe rhe person you stole from stole it from them :winkold:

Dont get too high hopes regarding a public vote on the matter. It will be a long scaremongering campaign leading up to the vote.

Even if you surprise them by still voting "No" it wont be considered a showstopper.

Change a word here, a comma there, let the scaremongering continue and be ready for a "new" treaty to vote for, within two years.

Dont get too high hopes regarding a public vote on the matter. It will be a long scaremongering campaign leading up to the vote.

Even if you surprise them by still voting "No" it wont be considered a showstopper.

Change a word here, a comma there, let the scaremongering continue and be ready for a "new" treaty to vote for, within two years.

How do the Danish people generally view the idea of a Federal Europe, mate?

How do the Danish people generally view the idea of a Federal Europe, mate?

Very hard to say. Most recent referendums were very close.

I am sure most Danes would vote to get the hell out, if it wasn´t for those campaigns mentioned.

Anyone speaking against it, is pictured either as a nationalist (Bad, bad word these days) or an economic disaster.

All political parties except far left and right are pro EU.

I would certainly favour a more unified Europe but nothing like the current.

One currency is a cruel joke, when you look at the different European economies. Certainly that will not bring unity.

We voted against that and still seem to have politics dictated as if we voted "Yes", but just havn´t switched to euro yet.

I'm fairly sure talk of a Federal Europe could be filed under scare mongering.

While it's certainly a possibility for the European Union, it's by no means a certainty and to suggest it is a bit misleading.

I've said it a number of times, but worth repeating - the EU has no set destiny, it won't without doubt become a federal state, likewise it won't without doubt just stay as it is. There are numerous competing factions within the EU bureaucracy that want to take it in different directions and none of them have thus far amnaged to win out. One of those factions would like a federal state. Another wants to further intergovermental cooperation but stopping short of true federalism. And so on.

Personally I don't think it'll ever go federal.

Yes it's a good thing. Trade agreements, arrest warrants and many other things are common sense and for the good.

However, it's completely undemocratic and needs to be changed. But you don't change anything from the outside and leaving is the wrong answer.

It does have a democratic deficit. Funnily enough the hated Lisbon Treaty fixed that to an extent, giving the European Parliament considerably more power. Before that the Parliaments only real power IIRC was being able to have a say in the EU budget, which on the whole is useless.

My personal favourite bit of EU idiocy is the problem it had with Commisioners. Commisioners were/are (can't remember what Lisbon did to them...) drawn from all the members but they are then expected to act completely without national bias. They were solely supposed my decisions without any consideration for their own backgrounds, being expected to go completely native in Brussels and pretty much forget being British/Spanish whatever. Seemed a stupid idea to me and still does.

In principle I agree with the EU and what it should try to achieve, but the people running it seem to regularly fail at doing anything positive, in the interests of the people and stick to what they say.

Whilst Hannan can appear extreme in his opinions, I think he's got to the stage he might as well go a bit mental in Brussels because it doesn't make a difference anyway.

I like Hannan, great speaker and from his speaking in the house (I follow a few of the speakings of his and others on YouTube), it's clear his issue is with the civil liberties that the EU seems to be devolving to their control.

I can't see a United europe ever happening when things are **** up left right and center.

What's the pros of cons of being in the EU?

Don't know any pros.

Cons - ask Ireland

Plus we have to pump in billions apparently. Tony the Tory is a bit more clued up than me, he'll be along shortly I expect ;-)

So you 'don't know' one load of it, the bad part is only 'apparently' and you're hoping for someone else to pop along to fill in all the bits you don't know. Good thing you started a thread about it.

In it's current guise it's dreadful. Is the answer to leave it completely? Of course not. In the same way that if you have a sponging, alcoholic uncle the solution isn't to euthanize him. You try and help him. Is your help definitely going to work? No, but it's still the right thing to do.

Transport Secretary Philip Hammond yesterday announced a four-day ­suspension of EU rules to allow truckers to work longer to get food and fuel through.

Drivers can work up to 10 hours a day instead of the nine-hour EU maximum.

And they will only have to rest nine hours instead of the usual 11.

so if we have the power to over rule European law short term .. can we we bin all the laws and do as we please ?

Transport Secretary Philip Hammond yesterday announced a four-day ­suspension of EU rules to allow truckers to work longer to get food and fuel through.

Drivers can work up to 10 hours a day instead of the nine-hour EU maximum.

And they will only have to rest nine hours instead of the usual 11.

so if we have the power to over rule European law short term .. can we we bin all the laws and do as we please ?

thing is, what can they ACTUALLY do? if we just do a North Korea style, 'we're doing it anyway so meh"

can they fine the UK and MAKE them pay money? can they enforce countries NOT to trade with us?

can you imagine Brussels trying to tell countries who do very well out of our trade NOT to do so?

I am sure they'd tell them to **** off.

What's the pros of cons of being in the EU?

Don't know any pros.

Cons - ask Ireland

what do you mean ask ireland? if it wasnt for the EU, ireland wouldnt have had trillions of quids worth of investment in the country's infrastructure, which took it from a third world country in the 80s to one of the most advanced in the world

the EU paid for all that

however, irish people got greedy and **** it all up. its the fault of the irish, not the fault of the EU

Â