• Downing
    • A Young
    • Bannan
    • Hogg
    • Agbonlahor
    • Ireland (for Bannan 72)
    • Delfouneso (for Warnock 90)
    • Pires (for Hogg 90)

On the plus side our midfield looks very good and is starting to really gel as a unit. However I lost count of the number of times the ball was put into the box to pretty much no one. We desperately need a striker who can put the ball in the net. I think I would have been tempted to have given Carew the last 20 minutes. As I said in the pre match thread Blues have a good defence and we seem to fail to get crucial goals. That's what happened tonight.

Our Achilles heel is our defence. Dunne defines clumsy defending to me. Collins looks woefully average, Luke Young is too old and Warnock is too inconsistent. Having said that Warnock did OK tonight. Cuellar needs to be in the side and I'd be tempted to drop Clark back to CB when we get NRC back. As for Friedal I think he also past his best too and I can't see Guzan filling that role so it looks we need a new keeper too.

Most of Blues counter 'attacks' consisted of lumping the ball up the pitch in the vague hope that either Zigic or Jerome could get on the end of it, which they often did against our pedestrian back four. I was saying all the way through the last quarter that Blues would nick a goal at the end and guess what?

As for the pitch invasion at the end it proved to me, yet again, the mentality of the the typical Blues fan. I do hope Blues face some sort of retribution for that ugly behaviour. They really are an underclass in their own right. The irony is that it could even affect our 2018 World Cup bid.

Overall disappointed but not surprised. I predicted we would lose and we did but in my opinion we did far far better than I thought we would.

Oh and the final kick in the nuts, Young is now suspended for the Liverpool game.

Seething at the moment. That shit stain of a club and its shower of shite fans bring shame on the city I live in the night before a World Cup decision day. We're out of form but dominated for long periods and lost to a fluke goal. Work tomorrow with scum fans coming out of the woodwork after five years hibernation.

Extremely disappointing that although it seems obvious that we need better options upfront the manager seems not to see it
Unfortunately Richard we wont be able to get these better options in until January at the earliest. I'm sorry but you can't blame GH for lack of options up front.
But I can blame him for playing only one striker when we have other options. I can balme him for insisting that strikers is not a position he is looking at in January and central midfield is

I blame those fecking claret shorts. We never win when we play in all claret. Seriously, we always get beat in that kit.

That and Dunne and Collins.

Oh my god yes!

I've been thinking this for ages. We always lose on them and it's been the case for years.

lol, It was a derby and if we are all honest that team we sent out today was short of experience but my god they gave blues a game. Good luck to em, rather sha, tham than some clearings in the woods from...........

Its a colour, its a name, it can be your life but at the end of day,,,,,,,,,,,,,its just a **** game. UTV

Ps we should have won, either tell gabby to play up front, in the middle, or buy a player that will......

I blame those fecking claret shorts. We never win when we play in all claret. Seriously, we always get beat in that kit.

That and Dunne and Collins.

Oh my god yes!

I've been thinking this for ages. We always lose on them and it's been the case for years.

As soon as I saw we were wearing them, I knew we'd get beat. Please no more claret shorts! If we need a change, then they should be blue!

Clutching at straws? Me? Never! :winkold:

Hard pill to swallow that, they were total garbage and we dicked them all day long but that meant for nothing as we wernt able to finish anything off.

Defence is mental, again I see Dunne chasing after a striker towards OUR goal....that should not be happening through centre backs. WHy is cuellar sitting on the bench when Dunne is constantly being turned, one thing that is getting me really annoyed about Houllier is that decision so he better sort it out.

Because of the game it was I'll refrain from commenting anymore until I'm calm and talking rationally or I might say a load of shit I'll regret.

Big ears - this season has been one of disruption. From the scumbag acts of messers Milner and moreso O'Neill, through to the high number of injuries and the need to play young kids. That is not a settled squad nor will it be so for a while yet.

The poor form of the defence started last year under O'Neill. Some of the performances towards the end of the season were shocking and it seems that they have carried through. The midfield are thin on the ground, again something that was inevitable once Milner left. OK we have Ireland but he is not the influence that Milner was and that is leaving a hole. The forwards are still totally reliant on Gabby, someone who has suffered injury for the first time in a long time.

These are not excuses as such, just the reality of what a certain ex-manager started and is now occurring.

Tonight was a major disappointment the fact we lost, the continued bad form of a player like Dunne cannot be excused, he is a joke figure now and really needs to be dropped.

I've seen a lot of pathetic posts in this thread by people who want to pretend this game didn't mean as much to them as it did to Birmingham city.

This one, however, shines as a beacon of light amongst the emotional dross posted by so many and, as such, is worth repeating.

Big ears - this season has been one of disruption. From the scumbag acts of messers Milner and moreso O'Neill, through to the high number of injuries and the need to play young kids. That is not a settled squad nor will it be so for a while yet.

The poor form of the defence started last year under O'Neill. Some of the performances towards the end of the season were shocking and it seems that they have carried through. The midfield are thin on the ground, again something that was inevitable once Milner left. OK we have Ireland but he is not the influence that Milner was and that is leaving a hole. The forwards are still totally reliant on Gabby, someone who has suffered injury for the first time in a long time.

These are not excuses as such, just the reality of what a certain ex-manager started and is now occurring.

Tonight was a major disappointment the fact we lost, the continued bad form of a player like Dunne cannot be excused, he is a joke figure now and really needs to be dropped.

I've seen a lot of pathetic posts in this thread by people who want to pretend this game didn't mean as much to them as it did to Birmingham city.

This one, however, shines as a beacon of light amongst the emotional dross posted by so many and, as such, is worth repeating.

Ment alot to myself this match. Any chance to play the blues is going to be intense and close to my heart. I have been rather depressed since the end of the match. A passion (if you want to call it that) I have not felt for many of the teams i follow in sometime. Not to this extent. I am one of the people that are of the beleif this game could make or break the season. We will see what happens now....

Thoughts: I'm upset, the knot in my stomach physically hurts.

You will rarely see me criticise Villa players as I tend to follow them all blindly as soon as they don our lovely shirt. But that said, Cuellar needs to be given a chance. Captaincy shouldn't be a reason to play someone in poor form, Clark can take good care of the armband.

Since we aren't winning anything this year anyways, time to start Guzan and see if he's our keeper of the future. Dunne and Collins were FREAKING TERRIBLE.

Start Cuellar and Clark once someone is healthy to replace Clark in the midfield.

Really disappointed by some of the garbage sitting by me tonight. I hope it's not a representative cross-section of Villa fans. Some real trash.

Seems crazy to say it, but heskey would have been the difference to night. Forget the defensive errors for a minute, but on recent form Heskey would have won us that game tonight...hes had a new lease of life under new management and he was exactly what we were missing tonight.

Feel almost dirty to be hoping for heskey to be back, as long as he repeats the form shown at the start of the season.

Since we aren't winning anything this year anyways, time to start Guzan and see if he's our keeper of the future. Dunne and Collins were FREAKING TERRIBLE.

Start Cuellar and Clark once someone is healthy to replace Clark in the midfield.

Really disappointed by some of the garbage sitting by me tonight. I hope it's not a representative cross-section of Villa fans. Some real trash.

What were they saying or doing Yankee? during the match or after?

pretty inconsoleable, tonight is a **** disaster for avfc.

performance wise, the midfield of clark, bannan and hogg bossed it for me and gabby and warnock both looked good. the rest, particularly the centre backs were extremely disappointing. regardless, we should never have lost that game.

Â