World Cup Host 2022  

56 members have voted

1. 1. World Cup Host 2022

• Qatar
    • USA
    • South Korea
    • Australia
    • Japan

Im pretty stoked that Qatar is getting it though. Best TV times for us (2 hour time difference in the summer) and there will be mad crazy stadiums built. I really like the idea that after the World Cup the Stadiums will be taken down and given to other countries who dont have the infrastructure. That is **** awesome.

Yes well I imagine the offer of a free stadium would have been pretty persuasive when deciding which bid to vote for...

That, my friend, is an outstanding observation.

Im pretty stoked that Qatar is getting it though. Best TV times for us (2 hour time difference in the summer) and there will be mad crazy stadiums built. I really like the idea that after the World Cup the Stadiums will be taken down and given to other countries who dont have the infrastructure. That is **** awesome.

Yes well I imagine the offer of a free stadium would have been pretty persuasive when deciding which bid to vote for...

If it means I dont have to get up at 5am in order to watch the World Cup, I'm fine with it. :D

If it means I dont have to get up at 5am in order to watch the World Cup, I'm fine with it. :D

But if it was in the USA, then we could all enjoy some late night matches. Casual few drinks in the pub, take a wander back with kebab in hand and enjoy the world cup.

I dont know why people are complaining about the weather as people always say the best World Cup was in Mexico 86 under scorching temperatures and best game was France vs Brazil which i seen and them conditions looked sweltering but a brilliant game.

Might also help England as their kick and rush game wont work in them conditions

Meh I know its a long way away but I doubt I'll watch much of it. Shit football and shit atmosphere.

I'm annoyed because an England/Australia triumph would mean I could get to two world cups when I'm a bit older and with a bit more dosh, now it seems Russia may be my best chance for a good while as Brazil is too soon and Qatar is too bloody warm.

England 2026 please...

Just boycott it. :/

First no goalline and video technology and now this.

I can't help but think a little political correctness was involved here, too. "Islam is a religion of peace, and the Middle East deserves a chance to prove it", etc.

Yes and no. If you think about it, Sepp Blatter wants to be the man who expanded footballs horizons, since he got in Asia have had their first ever world cup, Africa have had their first ever world cup, Eastern Europe just got theirs (and you could argue Eastern Europe is still a million miles from Western Europe in political terms) and the Middle East got their first ever World Cup.

If Sepp wants to do that, its fine. He (and FIFA) should just be **** honest about it. The bidding process was pretty pointless as the best bids didnt win, so should we just think that FIFA use the process as a way to ensure their top brass get paid?

1930 - South America (Uruguay)

1934 - Europe (Italy)

1938 - Europe (France)

1950 - South America (Brazil)

1954 - Europe (Switzerland)

1958 - Europe (Sweden)

1962 - South America (Chile)

1966 - Europe (England)

1970 - North America (Mexico)

1974 - Europe (Germany)

1978 - South America (Argentina)

1982 - Europe (Spain)

1986 - North America (Mexico, 2nd time)

1990 - Europe (Italy, 2nd time)

1994 - North America (USA)

1998 - Europe (France, 2nd time)

1998, Sepp Blatter takes charge at FIFA

2002 - Asia (Japan/Korea)

2006 - Europe (Germany, 2nd time)

2010 - Africa (South Africa)

2014 - South America (Brazil, 2nd time)

2018 - Europe/Asia (Russia)

2022 - Asia (Qatar)

Assuming that the three host continents in three cups holds, picking Qatar almost guarantees USA 2026, does it not?

Europe (2018) and Asia (2022) are ineligible, leaving Oceania, Africa, and the Americas.

Don't think New Zealand is viable (though if Qatar can host it...)

Only viable African hosts are Egypt and South Africa... don't think there'll be a return to SA so soon and don't think they'll go for a second straight Arab-hosted Cup.

That leaves:

USA, Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, with it probably being too soon for another Brazilian Cup and it's an open question whether Argentina or Mexico will enter a bid (remember that Mexico supported the USA bid this time around) and Argentina's population is possibly too concentrated (though again, if Qatar isn't...) to host a modern 32-team World Cup.

Of course, FIFA could award it to China or Australia without changing the rules if the OFC was renamed the Pacific Football Confederation and took in China, Japan, Korea, Australia, etc....

1934 - Europe (Italy)

1938 - Europe (France)

1958 - Europe (Sweden)

1966 - Europe (England)

1974 - Europe (Germany)

1982 - Europe (Spain)

2022 - Asia (Qatar)

11/10 for colour usage Nayson

I can't help but think a little political correctness was involved here, too. "Islam is a religion of peace, and the Middle East deserves a chance to prove it", etc.

Yes and no. If you think about it, Sepp Blatter wants to be the man who expanded footballs horizons, since he got in Asia have had their first ever world cup, Africa have had their first ever world cup, Eastern Europe just got theirs (and you could argue Eastern Europe is still a million miles from Western Europe in political terms) and the Middle East got their first ever World Cup.

If Sepp wants to do that, its fine. He (and FIFA) should just be **** honest about it. The bidding process was pretty pointless as the best bids didnt win, so should we just think that FIFA use the process as a way to ensure their top brass get paid?

1934 - Europe (Italy)

1938 - Europe (France)

1958 - Europe (Sweden)

1966 - Europe (England)

1974 - Europe (Germany)

1982 - Europe (Spain)

2022 - Asia (Qatar)

I know it plays in he Asia region now but when is Australisia going to have a world cup?

To me Australia was the logic choice for 2022. A nation that has improved and is regularly qualifying for world cups now, a slowly growing domestic league and it has some decent stadiums like Sydney and Melbourne.

I know it plays in he Asia region now but when is Australisia going to have a world cup?

To me Australia was the logic choice for 2022. A nation that has improved and is regularly qualifying for world cups now, a slowly growing domestic league and it has some decent stadiums like Sydney and Melbourne.

Stadiums in Sydney and Melbourne are top class.

I agree. Also loving the Adalaide Oval for the fact that the ground looks half full, because the bars and 'social area are around the back where you can't even see the game being played :-D

Oh, that and that no-ones turned up because of the hammering they've been getting.

Adelaide Oval is getting upgraded to a 50,000 seater anyway because from 2014 they'll be playing Aussie Rules footy there as well. The new members stand is absolutely beautiful and is top class, so looking forward to see what they do with the rest of the stadium.

Â