maqroll

WC 2018 Host  

105 members have voted

1. 1. WC 2018 Host

• England
    • Spain-Portugal
    • Russia
    • Belgium-Netherlands

It depends if they think we'll let them have their own way. In SA you could only drink Budweiser within a certain distance of the grounds and you had to pay for a license just to have the words '2010 World Cup' in your shop window. The whole FIFA court thing was an utter joke and the amount of money they took from SA for the privilege of hosting it was momumental.

Part of me just thinks **** 'em, whilst I want us to get the WC the thought of us hosting Sepp and his cronies makes me sick. hopefully he'll be dead by then.

In SA you could only drink Budweiser within a certain distance of the grounds

I think that is what will kill the Qatar bid. How can they host the tournament in a country where it is illegal to advertise alcohol or consume it in public? The Budweiser deal was worth millions to FIFA, they probably wont want to give it up.

I'd be fairly certain ours is the best bid by miles. It's been said enough times that, if we had to, we could probably host a major tournament tomorrow, we're spoilt for choice with top class stadiums pretty much country wide, transport is pretty good, etc etc. I can't escape, however, the feeling that we won't get it. As said, we wouldn't bend over backwards to let FIFA rake in money, and I've also never felt that FIFA particularly likes us.

I reckon it'll be Spain/Portugal. Spain's current dominance in the sport seems to have ushered in an era for them to be flavour of the month, and I think that play into their hands, and I also think Spain may be lenient on letting FIFA walk over them. The only issue I can think of with such a bid is Portugals recent holding of the Euros might put off FIFA giving them the World Cup so soon after (even though obviously both tournaments are different organisations and unrelated).

Wouldn't be surprised to see it go to Russia either but I do think a few issues that FIFA don't want to touch (allegedly one of the more racist nations on earth, even more so than Spain (;) for example) might stop them. I also can't help thinking a Russian tournament would be **** bollocks as a spectacle somehow, better than this years but still with a strange atmosphere to it somehow.

The issue with travel to Russia is that its just impossible to get any sort of Visa to get in there and when you do its costs a bloody fortune

didn't they waive visas for the Champions league final or something ?maybe they would implement a similar deal if they got the world cup

btw mine wasn't expensive , didn't you go in on a business visa ?

doesn't crime happen everywhere ? yeah i went to a few hairy places in Russia and did well to come out alive , but i also went to Yorkshire once and came away with the same feeling :winkold:

Think biggest problem for Russia would be access to the country as i have read/heard its quite strict

Hitler and Napoleon had no trouble.....

Not until they tried to get out that is :lol:

What is it with you and being funny every post? :lol:

Anyway, I think England should get it but a part of me doubts we will get it. It'll probably go to Spain/Portugal.

England is by far the best bid. Good transport, good stadiums, infrastructure that can handle it best, most consistent weather for games and for visiting fans (Qatar will see temperatures of 40C+ and Russia into the minuses for some stadiums) small distance between grounds (our furthest 2 major stadiums apart would still be closer than most of the South African stadiums were in this years WC)

Also, isn't Qatar a strictly dry country? I can't see that being too popular with visiting football supporters..

Yet a part of me just thinks Fifa will go with the bid that will make THEM the most money, which will be either Russia who will change their tax laws to suit, or Qatar who will just bung hundreds of millions Fifas way.

South American countries rumoured to be backing Spain/Portugal.

Well I never, there's a surprise.

That's the joke behind the whole thing.

The voting will probably take on some form of Eurovisian type politics.

Read a BBC article a year or so ago discussing this issue, and how much of the voting will have already been decided upon regardless of the bids, with deals being made between countries to support one another for the 2018/2022 finals.

As you say, all of South America will be voting for Spain & Portugal.

Logically it should be us but then logic dont come into it when Blatter is involved. I personally would not mind Spain/Portugal but i dont see why they need a joint bid, Spain has the stadiums on its own and thats 2 places for host nations. Russia has a better claim than most having not held it before and also for the back handers you know will be paid. So i am going for the Ruskies!

It will be a complete disgrace if it isn't England, however I am betting that it won't be. Despite the fact that our country deserves the World Cup and has all of the things already in place, we still won't get it.

I can't see the joint bids getting it either, making Russia the favourite. If it was a fair vote though, England would win hands down.

Â