• A Young
    • Ireland
    • Bannan
    • Hogg
    • Agbonlahor
    • Pires (for Ireland 69)
    • Delfouneso (for Agbonlahor 78)
    • Herd (for Hogg 81)

We didn't beat Spurs, and nor have we played Arsenal so how do you make that judgment? I know your trying to be positive but 4 points away from home is not good enough, people refer to the injuries apart from Cuellar, Collins, NRC and Petrov, would the others really make an impact?
We gave Spurs a very good game, we almost beat Man U (and played fantastic) and gave Chelsea a very good game.

Compare that with Blackburn and Stoke and it's clear which teams we're going to struggle against this season.

We got 2 points out of 9 points, this is a results business I'm afraid!

No shit.

Have you not been reading my posts? I said we struggle against the hoofball sides but do well against the footballing sides and you still haven't countered that.

people refer to the injuries apart from Cuellar, Collins, NRC and Petrov, would the others really make an impact?

Yes. Albrighton, Heskey, Delph.

Where would they all play?

Well Collins would replace Clark at DC. Albrighton would come in at RW for Ireland moving Downing to the left. Heskey could play up top or on the bench. Delph/NRC would be much better in midfield than Hogg/Herd.

And the others are much much better options off the bench, rather than Herd/Lowry/Osbourne etc.

Not good enough other than the earlly part of the second half. Would really struggle to pick an MOTM out of that. Gone with Ashley Young for hitting the bar and doing one or two other half decent things. Didn't exactly stand out though, but no-one did.

Sirprised to see Luke Young getting some votes. Although he overlapped reasonably well overall that was one of the worst games I've seen him have for us.

Never thought I'd be saying this at the start of the season but: But we need Heskey and Reo-Coker back asap.

aAlso can someone tell me iv Hogg is a natural central midfielder or is he being played out of position there like Clark was? Cheers.

I feel abit weird as i actually thought we played some decent stuff , the 3 main things that pissed me off were 1> Stephen bloody Ireland . 2> play Downing on the left wing were he is more threatening and 3> i wish when Ashley Young is supposed to be playing on the wing he actually stuck to it .

Were a good team but like many have said against the big physical teams of the league we struggle but i do feel were going in the right direction .

i blame warnock, absolute idiot to give that needless free kick for the first goal

we didnt deserve to lose but how many times is this going to happen? we are the better side and dont win. today, united, stoke, matched spurs, should have beat chelsea.

We do well, but it's 2 points, so don't know how you can define we do well against footballing sides?
Because we actually played well against them?

It's not so much we play well against the footballing sides, it's that we struggle to get results against the physical teams.

A bad result but not entirely unexpected given our injuries and line-up (1 up front). Ratings:

Friedel: Poor judgement for the goal. Looked shaky at high crosses coming in.

Young: Average

Dunne: Good at defending. Usual woeful passing.

Clark: Average.

Warnock: Gave away that stupid freekick that lead to the goal. Stupid.

Downing: Gave the ball away far too often. Careless.

Hogg: Very poor. Yes he's young but I hardly saw him touch the ball!

Bannan: A bright spark.

Ireland: Some neat touches -still need more though

Young: Tried but these misses are adding up (Fulham away, Stoke away and Blackburn away)

Gabby: Poor.

General tactics:

Would have liked to have seen 2 up front. Don't rate Hogg - waste of a place to me. We are passing the ball better but lack intelligence at times.

Defensively - don't give away corners and freekicks to Blackburn so we do just that.

Offensively - Blackburn have two giant centre backs so we play high balls into the box. Not the best decision.

Must do better :lol:

We do well, but it's 2 points, so don't know how you can define we do well against footballing sides?

It's not so much we play well against the footballing sides, it's that we struggle to get results against the physical teams.

Well we struggle to get points against teams who play football!

a couple of observations from the armchair

1. Ireland's attitude stinks. A couple of nice lay offs will not make up for looking like he couldn't give a toss or be prepared to break sweat for the team. Sorry Stephen, as much as I wanted you at Villa if thats 'giving your all' you can get your coat now. It's either shape up or ship out.

2. We've seemingly gone from being 'too direct' under O'Neill, to 'too fancy' under Gerard. We're now (at times) passing for the sake of passing to my eyes. In fact my Villa mad (of 40+ years) Auntie called me up up after the game and said 'why are we making 3 passes when 1 will do?'. And I knew exactly what she meant. It's not about how many passes you make, it's about how good they are.

Where's the eagerness to have a shot, or to break your neck to get on the end of a cross ?. Everybody just wants to pass, pass, pass now. Irritating.

3. Bannan was once again an absolute credit to the team and himself. The effort that lad put in for 90 minutes was a joy to behold. And he wasn't the only one putting in a good shift.

4. I never thought at the beginning of the season that i'd be mourning the fact Albrighton was missing more than any other player. That lad adds something HUGE to our side this season. And once he's missing we have nobody to fill in that gap.

5. I appreciate Gabby has been injured, and needs minutes to build up his fitness levels. But he never looked remotely like getting anywhere near a goal today.

Surely all these '2-3 week injuries' must be close to being back available ?

A bad result but not entirely unexpected given our injuries and line-up (1 up front). Ratings:

Friedel: Poor judgement for the goal. Looked shaky at high crosses coming in.

Young: Average

Dunne: Good at defending. Usual woeful passing.

Clark: Average.

Warnock: Gave away that stupid freekick that lead to the goal. Stupid.

Downing: Gave the ball away far too often. Careless.

Hogg: Very poor. Yes he's young but I hardly saw him touch the ball!

Bannan: A bright spark.

Ireland: Some neat touches -still need more though

Young: Tried but these misses are adding up (Fulham away, Stoke away and Blackburn away)

Gabby: Poor.

General tactics:

Would have liked to have seen 2 up front. Don't rate Hogg - waste of a place to me. We are passing the ball better but lack intelligence at times.

Defensively - don't give away corners and freekicks to Blackburn so we do just that.

Offensively - Blackburn have two giant centre backs so we play high balls into the box. Not the best decision.

Must do better :lol:

I thought Hogg actually did quite well. By the way, what are these easy chances Ashley Young had?

We didn't beat Spurs, and nor have we played Arsenal so how do you make that judgment? I know your trying to be positive but 4 points away from home is not good enough, people refer to the injuries apart from Cuellar, Collins, NRC and Petrov, would the others really make an impact?

Albrighton, Delph definitely. Heskey had a stormer vs Blackburn in the cup and helps you out defensively from set peice in these games as well.

Mainly down to one thing - inability to hold onto a lead. You can't deny the best performances this season have come against the better teams (bar West Ham).

Well said, we struggle to get points full stop!!

people refer to the injuries apart from Cuellar, Collins, NRC and Petrov, would the others really make an impact?

Yes. Albrighton, Heskey, Delph.

Where would they all play?

Oh, well at the moment, my strongest team would be...

Friedel

Young Cuellar Collins Warnock

Reo-Coker/Petrov Delph/Bannan.

Albrighton Young Downing

Agbonlahor.

Which means, from my strongest team, we were missing 6 players. I'd also add, I'd very much consider Heskey against these sort of sides simply because you need a physical presence.

Stephen Ireland was crap, gave it away almost every time he got hold of it. Warnock, what an absolute prick for that free kick. A tough place to go, especially with ten players out but I thought we controlled the game in general without really looking dangerous. Blackburn are shit and big fat Sam is a punchable knob. I'm sulking.

Mainly down to one thing - inability to hold onto a lead. You can't deny the best performances this season have come against the better teams (bar West Ham).

Against Chelsea we didn't have the lead!

I thought Hogg actually did quite well. By the way, what are these easy chances Ashley Young had?

I thought Hogg was very poor. Too me he's well out of his depth.

As for Ashley Young I didn't say easy but he should have put some of them away.

Stoke away - had a great chance with a header (open goal) but missed.

Fulham away - loads of chances on the counter - fluffed them.

Blackburn away - hit the bar - if it goes in possibly a different game.

I rate Ashley but he could have scored a lot more than he has :cry:

Â