• A Young
    • Ireland
    • Bannan
    • Hogg
    • Agbonlahor
    • Pires (for Ireland 69)
    • Delfouneso (for Agbonlahor 78)
    • Herd (for Hogg 81)

After Ireland's performance, I would prefer to see Herd picked instead in consideration of those unavailable though injury

Downing was good first half, unsurprisingly couldnt keep the same level of performance up in the 2nd half

Gabby, wasnt up to it, didnt seem fully fit

Young seemed to be doing Ireland's job most of the time

Warnock started well and then began tackling like a knob giving Rovers the opportunity to score the first goal

Bannan did well and kept up the work rate throughout the game

The others did ok.

Overall, seemed too weak in midfield and disjointed when attacking

We had more possesion, more shots on target, more shots in general.....it was hardly a totally shit performance.

They did us from 2 set peices. Apart from that, we controlled the game, had chances, missed them, good saves. If we'd of won that game. If we had played like that, took 2 of our chances, won the game 2-0, I don't think anyone would say that was poor. Result is poor, performance weren't IMO.

seconded

Relegation zone come January. Can't expect anything else from a team of average youth team players. Under investment in the past two years is to blame for this.

We don't have the squad depth that we should, but regardless, any team would struggle with the injuries we've suffered.

It's quite a bit factor and it's also not Houllier's fault.

If Liverpool had...

Kelly Carragher Agger Lucas Meireles Poulson Spearing, Torres, N'Gog, Jovanovic all out.

Just look at the way, Chelsea are struggling without Lampard, Essien, Terry..

You can't under estimate in my opinion the amount of quality we are missing.

What quality are we missing?

Well today, Collins, Cuellar, Albrighton, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Delph, Heskey (who ripped Blackburn apart in Carling Cup)....ALL would be pushing at least for a starting place, with probably 4 of them definitely playing.

You can't tell me, none of those would of made any sort of difference. Albrighton starting instead of Ireland for starters could have been a big difference because when Young went down the middle, we did a lot better.

What we really lacked today was a killer instinct in front of goal. Not many, if any, of those named are world beaters up front.

We had more possesion, more shots on target, more shots in general.....it was hardly a totally shit performance.

They did us from 2 set peices. Apart from that, we controlled the game, had chances, missed them, good saves. If we'd of won that game. If we had played like that, took 2 of our chances, won the game 2-0, I don't think anyone would say that was poor. Result is poor, performance weren't IMO.

Exactly, we werent amazing but we werent shit either. Blackburn are a very physically strong side with an excellent shot stopper and that was the difference today.

The only concern for me was that GH never shifted Downing to the left once which is not only odd but daft.

I also dont get this Dunne hating thing yeah he's had a bad spell but to be slagged off today is bonkers.

As for Ireland he just needs a break (and not his legs) its not happening for him but I dont really see how his attitude was bad he just didnt play very well today.

I thought we did OK and I like seeing all these youngsters getting their chance. Who out of the injuries do you really want on...heskey....sidwell...I don't think so. We held possession well and passed neatly, we just lacked the finnish, and that's been the case with us even when everyone is fit

Expected a loss before and not surprised now. Stupid goal to give away because of Warnock's retaliation and then bad defending for the 2nd.

Had a few decent attempts from long range, never really troubled Blackburn's defence though.

People need to realise though that this team is on it's last legs at the moment. Things will definitely improve when we get players back, and fully fit (Gabby isn't yet). It will take time for Houllier to change the way this group of players play and think. When he does though, I am sure we will be better than we were under O'Neill.

EDIT - Oh and one more thing, don't ever let Ireland near the team again until he shows some passion and team work. Rubbish!

Exactly, we werent amazing but we werent shit either. Blackburn are a very physically strong side with an excellent shot stopper and that was the difference today.

The only concern for me was that GH never shifted Downing to the left once which is not only odd but daft.

I also dont get this Dunne hating thing yeah he's had a bad spell but to be slagged off today is bonkers.

As for Ireland he just needs a break (and not his legs) its not happening for him but I dont really see how his attitude was bad he just didnt play very well today.

Good comments re Downing and Dunne. We needed to stretch the play when we were losing, yet Downing was cutting in constantly. He played well, but just thought we were lacking width at times.

As for Dunne, thought he played well today. Made a couple of top notch blocks and generally used the ball well.

Shite.

I'm getting cheesed off with this season with increasing intensity.

What were/are you expecting, Chindie?

For the match or the season?

To be fair the the answer is rather similar - not a lot. I'd like to be proven wrong at some point mind.

Increasingly, I don't think I'm going to be.

Yes the injuries are unfortunate (although I don't think it's entirely luck - training ground change has knock on consequences imo, and we're reaping them) but even so I'm still not that enamoured with what I see.

Then again I never whinged much about poor football so perhaps I need to change my priorities.

I don't think we can hope for much in the league this year, though I think we could do well in the cups. I hope, with some investment, we can push on again next year.

For that reason I'm not going to get too upset about performances like today, particularly given our injuries.

Overall, seemed too weak in midfield and disjointed when attacking

This.

Gabby was certainly struggling, but i think any striker would. Is it me, but we seem to play in front of the oppositions back four, trying to deliver the killer ball.

When we get it wide, there are either not enough bodies coming into the box, or the delivery is all wrong?

First goal was down Warnock, who is begining to piss me off now, with his rash tackles outside our area. Once we let that one in, i always knew it was going to be uphill.

MON for me was Hogg. Thought he did all the rough stuff well in only his third appearance.

One of those days.

Given the circumstances, sometimes you have to take these defeats on the chin and simply learn from them. We all know we're injury plagued and in a bit of a transitional period, so let's go easy on the doomsday talk.

Friedel -Did well apart from the goal.

Warnock - Would have been my MOTM if it wasnt for the consistent fouling

Young - Did OK, but frustrating in attack.

Dunne - MOTM

Clark - Showed inexperience

Downing - Lacked any outlets when in possession at the end, but was one of our better players.

Ireland - Lazy, uninterested, would rather see Pires start the next game.

Hogg - Par for the course

Bannan - only person trying to make anything happen, Young seemed as reluctant to pass to him as he used to be with Milner.

Young - Typical performance this year, tried hard but ultimately frustrating.

Gabby - will afford him the benefit of the doubt due to his match fitness levels, but it wasnt a good game for him.

Herd - Good effort.

Pires - Did alright to be fair, but woudnt want to rely on him defensively if he's going to be played on the wing.

Fonz - No sensible service.

Relegation zone come January. Can't expect anything else from a team of average youth team players. Under investment in the past two years is to blame for this.

We don't have the squad depth that we should, but regardless, any team would struggle with the injuries we've suffered.

It's quite a bit factor and it's also not Houllier's fault.

If Liverpool had...

Kelly Carragher Agger Lucas Meireles Poulson Spearing, Torres, N'Gog, Jovanovic all out.

Just look at the way, Chelsea are struggling without Lampard, Essien, Terry..

You can't under estimate in my opinion the amount of quality we are missing.

What quality are we missing?

Well today, Collins, Cuellar, Albrighton, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Delph, Heskey (who ripped Blackburn apart in Carling Cup)....ALL would be pushing at least for a starting place, with probably 4 of them definitely playing.

You can't tell me, none of those would of made any sort of difference. Albrighton starting instead of Ireland for starters could have been a big difference because when Young went down the middle, we did a lot better.

What we really lacked today was a killer instinct in front of goal. Not many, if any, of those named are world beaters up front.

Albrighton has chipped in with his fair share of goals, while Heskey's build up play over the weeks he was fit bought our attacking players into some great positions and even scored a few himself. Like Blackburn in the Carling Cup, he come on, we scored 3 in 30 minutes.

Another day, we could of won that game. I'm just happy that while we have so many injuries that our performances are still okay, we conceded and struggled from two set-peices, apart from that, in open play they barely created anything and we had most of the game. When your team is full off players who aren't big. Dunne, L.Young, Clark I believe the 3 outfield players all 6 foot or over, rest smaller, against Blackburn who have Samba, Roberts, Givet, Nelson, Jones all towering players, then you are going to struggle. It was almost unavoidable.

I thought the passing out of defence today was the best I've seen from out back four...Hardly any panicing when they were on the ball, if they couldn't go forward or sideway it was calmly passed back to the keeper and even then they made space so he didn't have to hoof it up the field.

Ignoring the injuries (which are unfortunate and we'd have done better without them) is was utterly shit. First half, what the hell were those long diagonal balls about, first 10 mins we murdered them when we kept it simple and on the floor. It isn't good enough.

Thought Hogg had a good game, as did Clark. The rest were distinctly average or below par for me. Dunne is looking more and more like a carthorse although made a goal saving tackle in the second half. Friedel and Warnock to blame for the first.

When he brought Pires on, I thought he should have shifted Young to the wing and played Pires in the hole. Pires doesn't have the legs to play on the wing any more. Don't think he ran once, jogging or walking everywhere. Young looked good on the few occasions he drifted out to the wing as well. Not to mention how good Downing was on the left last week, and fairly inefective this.

And who the hell voted Ireland as MOTM!?

When he brought Pires on, I thought he should have shifted Young to the wing and played Pires in the hole. Pires doesn't have the legs to play on the wing any more. Don't think he ran once, jogging or walking everywhere. Young looked good on the few occasions he drifted out to the wing as well. Not to mention how good Downing was on the left last week, and fairly inefective this.

And who the hell voted Ireland as MOTM!?

I think a vote for any Villa player after today is redundant tbh.

Yeah sure it wasn't a good performance but what can you expect when you got to Blackburn without 10 first team players?

I'm not too worried about the future because when we get more players fit and maybe 1-2 new players in January things will start to go our way.

Hogg seemed much more composed today compared to the United game where he was obviously a bit nervous. He played simple passes and got stuck in and did a good job IMO.

Ireland for me is trying too much fancy stuff and he jumps out of headers and challenges. Doubt he'll ever make it here but I would give more time to settle.

Gabby was a worry for me today. Looked disinterested and lazy which is very unlike him. Probably not fully fit but still not the player we're used to seeing.

Thought some players did OK today, and we perhaps deserved more out of this game, although we did look very brittle, which is no surprise given our injury list.

Stephen Ireland is a w*nker.

Thought some players did OK today, and we perhaps deserved more out of this game, although we did look very brittle, which is no surprise given our injury list.

Stephen Ireland is a w*nker.

Ireland will never be a w*nker. W*nking requires a degree of effort!

Â