Jonathan Hogg

Villaninoz

hope the posters who gave you abuse are man enough to apologise ...

No abuse, just statement of fact; he was gash against Basingstoke. I'm very happy to say it looks like I caught him on a bad day. :thumb:

Made a superb sliding tackle on the sideline in about the 60th minute yesterday. I thought his distribution was nervy as most have said, but he broke up play really well and didn't allow the Utd midfield to get any sort of rhythm.

all things considered, a solid debut. he will learn heaps from this, in particular his defensive work where he passed players on to others to pick up and no one did. His passing was just nerves, but he ran and tracked well. Hope he declares for Australia with his mate Lowry.

Cant believe some of the negative comments about the young lad, thought he acquitted himself very well. He must have been nervous and it showed at times, but he battled and contributed to a superb team perfprmance. Instead of slagging the lad off, he should be praised for his attitude and effort. It wasnt exactly a pub team he was making his premiership debut against. Great to be written off after two first team games

So so right in that analysis. It really annoys that lots of posters have just written Hogg off after one good but not outstanding performance. Its was his debut, against Man U FFS!!

I think he showed some real promise but I also think a season long loan in the Championship could transform him as it did Bannan who many did not think could make it either.

I'm not holding my breath, you can tell the type of people they are by what they post...

I think the lad did well for a 1st start against a team like Utd. As was mentioned before you didn't see him much, but then you never saw Makele and he was rated very highly. And how much did you see Carrick and Fletcher???

Job well done in my books.

No abuse, just statement of fact; he was gash against Basingstoke. I'm very happy to say it looks like I caught him on a bad day. :thumb:

I wasn't referring to his performance more the abuse hurled at the original poster and his ITK

He wasn't man of the match, but then again neither was Carrick or Fletcher, and maybe that's the bigger point? Maybe neither of them are fit for this league either? And no, I don't need a history lesson about how they have proven themselves over time... because "over time" is the whole point.

And props to the original poster.... any source that accurate deserves to be cultivated... send him a gift.

He wasn't man of the match, but then again neither was Carrick or Fletcher, and maybe that's the bigger point? Maybe neither of them are fit for this league either? And no, I don't need a history lesson about how they have proven themselves over time... because "over time" is the whole point.

And props to the original poster.... any source that accurate deserves to be cultivated... send him a gift.

Thanks srsmith. Happy to share when i can.

"I was told on the training pitch. We were doing team shape and the manager read the team out and said 'Hoggy - you're in centre midfield and I want you to mark Fletcher'.

Was wondering if this thread would be more suited in the main forums though along with all the other player threads? I think he deserves it after that decent debut...

:D:D

Hogg did well, but He and Bannan did nothing when ManU started play football. Central Midfield didn't exist and that was the time to play the ball. pass and pass. Slow and precisely to win some time.

I know he's young and nationals against him, but last quater was really exam for Hogg. I'm not sure did he pass

I think there is a lot of overreaction to the supposed overreaction. IMO he was a weakness BUT I wouldn't have expected anything else for a young lad making his debut against Utd with an inexperienced partner. Like most though, I would still have rather had Hogg out there than any other player in our squad with the exception of NRC.

More importantly, I think both Hogg and Bannan really tired towards the end - again not surprising given their lack of experience at this level - and that was where Ged's hand was really exposed with little on the bench that would allow him to make the necessary substitutions.

But he is promising. The challenge for Ged now is to get him the right experience and development that will allow us to see whether he has what it takes.

Â