Match Thread: DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

rjw63

I'm in two minds about this one to be honest.

My initial thought was that, if we play against these like we played against Blackpool in the first half, we will get hammered.

My second thought was, I think we play better against the less physical teams, and although Man Utd aren't exactly tiny, they are not going to be as big and imposing as Blackpool were.

I would prefer us to put Downing in the centre with Young and Clark and move Bannan out to the left. I would just prefer to see a little bit more experience in the centre of midfield against United. It will be difficult with whatever team we put out so a draw is the very best I see us getting TBF.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our record against Utd is poor however is in charge and whatever team we have out.

Win, lose or draw lets hope our youngsters continue to show signs of promise and gain some much needed experience against the best sides out there...

Despite Man Utd looking a little more ordinary than we are used to seeing they are still a very good side and remain unbeaten this season. We on the other hand look a fairly poor side at the moment in my view, 1. incapable of keeping a clean sheet and 2. struggling to score goals except against Blackpool reserves.

So I'm not all that positive ahead of this one, we might be able to get a draw but I think its the best we can hope for sadly.

1. We drew 0-0 against Chelsea and SHA at home recently, so we definitely can keep a clean sheet.

2. Gabby is back!

I reckon we can nick a win here. Under GH we're becoming much harder to beat at home (one loss at home all season to Rapid) - and with the return of Gabby our counter attacking game may shift up a notch.

We drew against Chelsea with a very experienced midfield, the average age of our midfield is 22.

This is also what I'd point to.

In terms of experience, there's a vast difference between Petrov, Ireland & Reo Coker and Bannan, Clark & Young.

We drew against Chelsea with a very experienced midfield, the average age of our midfield is 22.

This is also what I'd point to.

In terms of experience, there's a vast difference between Petrov, Ireland & Reo Coker and Bannan, Clark & Young.

Yeah, the younger ones can run and pass a ball!

Only joking, you are right that experienced pros know how to play in a way that makes it most difficult for the opposition, something the kids don't always get.

Although Clark, Bannan and Albrighton all look excellent, they are prone to the odd mistake in dangerous areas, more so than the older players. That's why it's best to bring them in gradually if possible.

That said, I'm not bothered because I love watching the young players develop with each game, and I can't wait to see how they get on tomorrow.

The chances are between zero and none mind.

A draw at best, hopefully we will get a point.

Friedel

Young Collins Dunne Warnock

Bannan Clark

Downing Young Albrighton

Delfouneso.

Is what I hope, although I've got a feeling Gabby will be upfront.

Personally, I'd take our time with him, he's only just come back, the worst thing we can do is rush him back, especially with Christmas just over a month away. Save him for Blackburn where he usually causes plenty of problems. Then again, he's always very good vs Man United.

But yeah, stick with the Fonz.

Agree with this BUT I would play DJ in the central position (or at least have him swapping much more with Ash) as we have seen what he can do with his shooting from central positions a few times this year. I also think Ash's pace would give Brown more problems on the left.

I am more positive about this game as I think we have no pressure or expectation on us and the young kids should just go out and have fun. Utd's record away from home is also not as good as usual (only one win, although yet to lose) and they are without Rafael, Scholes, Rooney and, possibly Evra. It's going to be interesting!

With Football - Always expect the unexpected. Im totally undecided on Houllier. Having said that, I have seen very little football over the last couple of months so performance wise - Im unsure. 4 games unbeaten though is positive, unbeaten at home is positive. I fancy a 0-0 draw which I would take, but we just might shade it 1-0. They are due a loss.

Also got this feeling with Houllier that he might have a knack of getting a result from these games. Im sure I read that he won 5 on the bounce against United when with Liverpool.

Oh its at Villa Park int it??????....................

Yep scrap all that - United 3-0 :D

We could be our own worse enemy again tomorrow, of course. You don't get second chances against Utd and our lot are making pretty heavy weather of turning any chance at all into goals. Ash and Downing will definitely get at them, but we need to put them away.....or they WILL do us yet again.

Like to say 2-1 Villa, but a draw seems more realistic.

Oh for a sympathetic ref (as if!)

United are (relatively) poor at the moment, I think they're there for the taking. Lets have some bold, attacking football at home please. I don't care if we lose because we tried to win.

No post-match talk of refs, no talk of winning mentalities, lets just score more than them.

Hoo rah

United will do us. They always do (except the 'breaking of the curse' last season). I basically go in for a loss everytime because of terrible flukes and whatnots over the years. This way I can be quite content if we manage a draw

Quite the optimist then?

FWIW, I fully agree.

We've been excellent at home this season

Who do you support mate?

The team I follow have been, in homes games, poor against Bolton, Shit against Sha, OK against Chelsea and Everton, below par against Blackpools 2nd string and great against West Ham. Overall a long way from excellence.