Scientific Experiment V3#01-G.Houllier Approval Ratings

bickster

Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager this month?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager this month?

• Yes
    • No

We are up and down - we know now what we all knew already, we have a good defence, the forwards are crap and the kids should be given a chance.

We are in the Cup QF and if we get 4 points from Fulham / Blackpool, we will be around 6th-7th in toucing distance of 4th.

So yeah, I expected a transition period, we are in a transition period, and although the table looks worrying, it is deceptive, a win on Saturday and we could be up with Spurs who have just beat the European champions.

Ecstatic no - but content yes- I can see progress.

I can see progress

Progress from what? Last season?

Houllier hasn't filled me with confidence but he does deserve time. If he's the man to take us past what MON did then for me finishing in the bottom half this season is a big no no.

My annoyance is more at the board but houllier hasn't helped himself with tactics and team selection the last 2 games

Fine lines !

Now I know he spent 11m quid on him once, but although w haven't played well in the last two games if Mr Heskey had put two absolute bloody sitters away we would be sitting here in 3rd and a cup quarter final.

He has said, he is happy with our defence, we are solid and has said himself we have conceeded an own goal and a last minute goal in our last 6 games.

He also said Ash likes playing up front but he prefers him on the left wing.

He also said we don't score enough goals (and we all know our main forward is out)

He also said you would have to be blind not to see we need players in certain positions.

So I tell you what , lets wait until he ahs had time to play a starting 11 that he actually wants to, instead of being forced to.

Progress yes - because although things are not right, I can see and hear that the manager actually knows it, and will attempt to put it right.

And with MON - I didn't !

My annoyance is more at the board but houllier hasn't helped himself with tactics and team selection the last 2 games

Not sure what the board has to do with results on the pitch unless you are still blaming them for backing MON.

That aside, I'm going to come to Houllier's defense with his tactics and selection simply because of the opposition in those 2 games.

Against Burnley, he wanted to start with Carew and rest Heskey. Carew got injured and he decided to keep Heskey rested. He could have started Fonz, but he's obviously not highly rated (MON didn't rate him much either). To Houllier's credit, he changed it up when it didn't work and put Heskey in.

As for SHA, I actually like the way Houllier played that. Yes, you read that correctly.

Guus Hiddink has a simple philosophy: You cannot win games early, you can only lose them early. That is, you don't risk much early on. You keep it tight and let your players settle into the match. In the second half you make changes to your players/formation and go for the win.

I think Houllier did just that, only he had little to choose from in midfield (Clark and NRC did well, so 2 out of 3 isn't too bad). He changed it up in the second half to go for the win - and almost got it with Bannan, Clark and Young all coming close.

We are not in sparkling form. We are still adapting to a game of possession, passing and movement. But I can see the method in Houllier's madness.

I can see progress

May I ask, what was so wrong with the selection vs Sunderland?

The last 2 games have been blues and burnley

Progress yes - because although things are not right, I can see and hear that the manager actually knows it, and will attempt to put it right.

So people wanted the last manager to say things weren't right while we challenged for 4th and finished with our highest points total for years?

Haven't voted. Can't vote either yes or no TBH.

He hasn't ripped up trees, nor failed badly (this month).

I am prepared to give him plenty of time, due to the circs he took over in.

My jury will not be returning on The Hou for a good while.

Haven't voted. Can't vote either yes or no TBH.

He hasn't ripped up trees, nor failed badly (this month).

I am prepared to give him plenty of time, due to the circs he took over in.

My jury will not be returning on The Hou for a good while.

This sums up my feeling as well. Can't really blame him for the squad and situation he has inherited. Our problems are mostly down to the lack of decent striker options. Gabby being injured, Heskey not really prolific goalscorer and Carew not on form. The only strange thing is the lack of Delfouneso, but I think that is more to do with the Fonz than GH.

I can see progress

May I ask, what was so wrong with the selection vs Sunderland?

The last 2 games have been blues and burnley

So people wanted the last manager to say things weren't right while we challenged for 4th and finished with our highest points total for years?

What team would you have wanted against Blues? I think Ged inherited a team with a bit of a hole in it and a lack of depth up front.

Losing Milner has left us with a hole in CM - we do not have an experienced ACM and Ireland is yet to deliver - and he has now lost Stan and Delph so is left with very few options in this area. Bannan looks good but is very young and inexperienced and possibly a bit lightweight (jury's out IMO) for the Premier League, certainly to play in a game with the intensity of the derby.

On top of that he has been without Gabby. He has managed to get Heskey playing the best football we have seen him play but I do not consider JC as a viable option any more (and neither did MON I think towards the back end of his reign). Not sure why the Fonz is not getting a chance but we don't see training I suppose?

I think he has a difficult job to do this season, although I think Delph could have a significant part to play if he comes back fully fit. The hard work is really with Ireland IMO - if Ged can get him to recapture his form of 2 years ago then we should be okay, particularly if Ged can do some business in January.

I do agree that Ged seems to recognise the areas where we have problems and tries to address them whereas MON would never appear to recognise them, albeit, as you say, he had less of these than Ged appears to have at the minute.

There is a definite feel of a team in decline about us at the moment. It's all very well talking in ifs and buts regarding our points total and league position but the reality is we are where we are and I have scant optimism that we will get anything at Craven Cottage on Saturday, which if so could leave us in the bottom four.

There is a definite feel of a team in decline about us at the moment. It's all very well talking in ifs and buts regarding our points total and league position but the reality is we are where we are and I have scant optimism that we will get anything at Craven Cottage on Saturday, which if so could leave us in the bottom four.
As I have said before for me just feels very much like GTMK2

Â