It looks great fun, but it also looks like a massive time sink.

Does anybody know how much money the guy has made to date btw? When it was the darling of the internet a month or so back people were saying that he was making something crazy like $250k a day. As a completely out of nowhere success story I am really pleased it exists. I just wont be investing in it yet.

Yes. Minecraft is awesome. Its success is still rapidly rising what with the recent Halloween update and Notch (the guy behind it) gearing up a studio with the millions he has made so far (from a damn alpha no less). The guy deserves it all though - he's absolutely dedicated and for the price the game is now (it'll double in price once alpha ends), it's quite possibly the most bang for buck you'll encounter in a long time. I suppose the moment it went supernova was after it evolved from a simple world builder (which can still be played as the free version) to the wilderness survival game it is now.

As for the game itself, looks can be deceiving so I wouldn't dismiss it based on that. It has what is arguably the keystone of any great game - simple mechanics and a simple premise that combine to become something truly emergent, atmospheric, engrossing and more than the sum of its parts. It tends to suck people in, be they exploring the depths of the earth or realising ambitious build projects to building a small log cabin with a little farm. You can play as little or as much as you like and create your own goals based upon what you encounter in the game world. How much you play is down to the demands you place upon yourself, not what the game places upon you. As such, I wouldn't considering it a time sink, just addictive.

You should check it out Nayson, there's really no reason to wait. For anyone else, this video does good job of showing off the very basics of surviving your first night. It's actually the first episode in a series that you should definitely watch more of if you have the time.

Ninja-Edit: Oh yeah, the newest SA Minecraft thread is a great source of information on the game. Just have a read of the OP to become more familiar.

It looks great fun, but it also looks like a massive time sink.

Does anybody know how much money the guy has made to date btw? When it was the darling of the internet a month or so back people were saying that he was making something crazy like $250k a day. As a completely out of nowhere success story I am really pleased it exists. I just wont be investing in it yet.

I've seen figures of around 16 000 000 SEK in September alone and around 40 000 000 SEK in total (counting total sales). That would roughly equate to £1 400 000 and £3 600 000 respectively. Amazing really considering how he did it. The quintessential bedroom coder. And the game is just in Alpha!

I'm currently planning a PC/360 Indie game with a colleague of mine (who is about to launch his first game on the Indie channel on 360), and at best we're hoping for some purchases from friends and colleagues. Raking in over 40 000 000 SEK would probably give me a heart attack. :D

• 1 month later...

Those of you who have mentioned an interest in Minecraft but are holding off buying it better pull your wallets out before the 20th December. The game is transitioning to beta - the price is going up AND you'll have to pay even more on top of that to upgrade to future versions (such as the final, full build)

Buy it now though, while is still alpha, and all future versions are gratis.

In short, if you fancy Minecraft but don't buy it before the 20th, you're a numpty.

• 4 months later...

So how good is this game?

I stumbled across some YouTUbe video of people playing it, and it was actually really entertaining. I understand the game isn't as it appears in those videos (it's Yogscast or something for reference), but it has aroused my interest in the game.

Is it as good as people make out?

I'm going to buy the Beta when I get paid this month.

Website says that you'll get the full version for free if you buy the beta so I'm going to go for it.

Seems like it could be a lot of fun.

Finding enough clay to build an entire brick house < *

:(

The next update is going to introduce wheather, including lightning which can spark forest fires - aswell as set pretty wooden houses on fire! On my current world - which is a cracker - my main house luckily has a glass roof so I should be OK. Did build a fireplace with some lava in it the other day, only to discover that I hadn't put enough non-flammable blocks around it :evil: Luckily I managed to put out the fire before irreversible damage was done.

Needless to say - cracking game.

It is great!

I can't see the addictiveness lasting too long without more updates. i think eventually the lack of an actual objective might mean the amusement runs out. But they could do something with updaes that keeps you interested.

My house is developing nicely. 2 storeys with the beginnings of a huge castle-like tower above it with a spiral staircase leading up it and a tree growing in the middle of it. And I made the house by mining out the side of a hill so it looks pretty awesome at the moment.

I also made my first foray into the nether yesterday. Didn't do much in there apart from mine some netherrack and then retreat quickly back into the real world.

But I got this on Friday night and reckon I've put about 15 hours into it already.

The nether is terrifying!

I just went in for a proper wander to see what nasties I could find, and some horrible flying squid thing blew up my portal so it wouldn't work, so I was stuck there! :(

Â