• Collins
    • Sidwell
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Bannan (for Sidwell 58)
    • Carew (for Reo-Coker 82)

WTF? I was there and on kick off the atmosphere was cracking! As Shillzz says, the longer the ghame went on the quieter it became but it was still noisy!

im not convinced, too many tourist in the holte end these days, the sort that want a good atmosphere, but dont contribute and spend the game telling people to sit down despite being half way up the upper holte on a derby day

Now THAT i can agree with.

Having sat in the same seat for 5 years amongst familiar faces, I've never seen so many "newbies" at one game.

Still think the atmosphere was reasonable given the circumstances though.

I thought Heskey was superb, our best player out there easily. He had a thankless task yesterday, as he had the total sum of zero support. ashley young was f**king awful!?! Clark did well playing in a position unknown to him in a local derby. Collins was good. Overall far too negative and we showed when we went two up top that those blue nose c**ts were, and should have been there for the taking had we started with the balls to try to WIN the game.

I thought Heskey was superb, our best player out there easily. He had a thankless task yesterday, as he had the total sum of zero support. ashley young was f**king awful!?! Clark did well playing in a position unknown to him in a local derby. Collins was good. Overall far too negative and we showed when we went two up top that those blue nose c**ts were, and should have been there for the taking had we started with the balls to try to WIN the game.

Probably the post which most mirrors my own opinion on the game.

Could have won it if we had pressed a bit more. By the time we realised how easy they were to contain it was to late. Not sure why they have come over all Billy big bollocks, they had a good little spell but didn't get remotely close to turning over a weak and lacking confidence team. Shit game which we really could have won.

Was in the Doug ellis lower yesterday, think I'll throw my opinion into the ring!

Brad Friedel - Didn't have a whole lot to do, but looked safe on the rare moments he was called upon. 7

Luke young - Again, solid if not spectacular, didn't really stand out so obviously doing his job with the minimum of fuss, but probably unadventurous going forward. 6.5

Stephen Warnock - Mixed bag really, like Luke, didn't really notice the defensive side, except towards the ned of the first half when Ash went wandering over to the right wing, supporting Heskey and Downing, Warnock started getting a little raped in the left back position as Carr and Larsson (?), when Ash finally returned to the left hand side, Warnock gave him a firm "Stay in f%&king position" - which was nice to see. Was able to get forward more in the second half, and help build some attacks. 7

James Collins - Solid in defence and got a few timely blocks in, dominant in the air, which was nice, and with a lesser quality player starting instead of him, I think we would have had a few problems. 7.5

Richard Dunne - Sadly after last season, he seems to be getting a wee bit overawed this season, whether it's complacency after last season, or just struggling to adjust to the new regime, he needs to sort it out soon and fast. Was beaten in the air too many times and couldn't handle Jerome that well either when he came on, must do better. 5

Ciaran Clarke - Was tidy and didn't do much wrong, but from where I was sitting, it looked as though he was at times hiding from the ball too. Was always available for passes but didn't seem to want the ball that much and seemed more concerned with telling the players to pass to other players. Obviously this was an alien position to him and he's still young, but would have still liked to have seen him exert himself onto the game a bit more. Was very unlucky with his header towards the end of the game. 6.5

Steve Sidwell - Never know what to make of him, tries hard, good at organising little bits and pieces, but technically, very, very limited. Nice to see in the first half when SHA had a throw-in level with their own penalty area, and as they where preparing/getting the ball, I clocked Sidders point at a few players and got them all to box-in SHA, and we got posession of the ball. It's nice to see players take responsibility like this, but just wish he was a better player. Tried hard and at the start of the 2nd half he seemed to be playing a bit further forward, but he lacks alot too, and it showed today. You'll never win anything with a team of Steve Sidwells! 6

Nigel Reo Coker - Was a beast in central midfield as usual, and was unlucky when he charged down the keepers clearence only to see the ball fizz past the post. Played with a bit of bite and didn't shirk any challenges, but played into Gardners hands and got really, really wound up (not sure if that was their gameplan, to get him sent off?), needs to keep his head together and was disappointed to see him storming back onto the pitch at the final whistle looking for confrontation. My opinion though, if Nige got sent off for that kick, then the ref would have had to send Gardner off as well for a 2nd bookable offence. Still, played well. 7

Stewart Downing - After a great start to the season, I hardly noticed him at all today. Didn't get involved anywhere near enough, hopefully just a rare off day. 5

Ash Young - Mixed bag from our Ash, first half was all over the shop, even contributing to SHA's best spell by leaving Warnock on his own down the left hand side, then in the 2nd half he was in and out of the game, then all of a sudden, burst into life for the last 10 to 15 minutes, and did what he did best, worked the wings, attacked the defenders, and almost won the game for us right at the end when his dazzling run ended in a shot which rattled off the woodwork. Always gives 110% too and is starting to really mature on the pitch. - 7.5

Emile Heskey - Starved of any kind of support or service in the first half, was able to get involved more in the 2nd half, but still, although he's another hard worker, if we want to progress playing one up top, we need someone with more energy, more class, and can score goals on a regular basis. Was too often yesterday he didn't seem to bother pressing defenders or challenging for lose balls, and as a result SHA looked comfortable at the back. Even if he started pressing defenders and competing for the loose balls without much avail, he still would have rattled their defence. Must do better. 6

Subs

Bannan (For Sidwell) - looks a lively and energetic player, and you have to take your hat off to him for trying to outjump someone who is twice his size! Big prospect for the future and looks like he may have the attitude and swagger you need to make it. Hit a great shot with his left foot which was superbly saved, looking forward to see more of the wee man. 6.5

Carew (For Reo Coker) - We looked alot more dangerous with a 2nd striker up top, shame he blew hot and cold really. As someone else said, did really well to head across to Clark, but then a few minutes later his first touch was non-existant. 6

Gerard - Wasn't too keen on the way he setup the team for a home match, far too defensive, and tried to play too continental for the cut and thrust of the premiership. If you want play continental football like that, then you need the players who are patient and able to pass it around patiently, and move into space, recieve, spot the pass, etc. Especially when we're not that gifted inthe striking department. I think a mixture of passing/direct would probably work better, but hey, I'm not a premier league football manager, so what do I know! 5

I see Sidwell got a vote. Welcome to the forum Steve.

**** genius comment :lol:

:lol::lol:

That made me chuckle too

As for the match.. it was poor, very poor. We didn't set out to win the match and a draw was probably a fair result. I hope we employ a bit more of a positive approach in the cup game at their place

While it obviously was a joke, there's still a little bit of my mind that believes he would actually do that...

sidwell blew his big chance to impress

we need to flog him off asap. disaster signing from our previous manager

Can we be a bit more positive about the Ginger One please ..... just in case Mark Hughes happens to stumble on to this thread whilst doing his research into potential Jan signings!! :lol:

Â