• A Young
    • Ireland
    • Albrighton
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bannan
    • Heskey (for Ireland 59)
    • Downing (for Bannan 64)
    • Collins (for Sidwell 118)

Didn't watch the game so won't comment on the players but will comment on some of the cooments by posters.

1. Not playing a forward - It seems like we had plans to until Carew pulled out through sickness. GH wanted to rest Heskey so he could possibly have Delfonso a game and I certainly would have liked to see that. But as some have said it seems that the youngster may not be in the managers good books. He felt Young would be a better bet; guess he is the manager for a reason.

2. Worried that we might get beat by SHA - Each game is different and you even if we play as bad as some people say we did it doesn't mean we will lose. You only have to looked at the results of the games the night before and I bet the SHA fans are saying the same thing. On the flip side you can dominate games and still lose. We are going to be up for it and I believe we will come away with a victory.

Up the Villa.

It sounds like some of Houllier's decisions can be a bit baffling but we have to remember he is still getting to know the players and is probably still going through a phase of "I wonder what would happen if...." and so now he knows! Better that he do those little experiments in a cup match against 2nd tier opposition than away against UTD. Remember MON's decision to man-mark Rooney at Old Trafford using Aaron Hughes as a defensive midfielder?

Clark MOTM for me. Friedel was top class, one of the best in the Prem, however Clark was brilliant all game. Cuellar was v good as well and Elliott exagerrated contact but well done albrighton.

I thought houllier would be getting loads of stick for playing people out of position, thought that was a big no no.

Your amazing.

I wonder if you'll let it go by this time next year.

Think its the first time he had to play players out of position down to injury, not choice!

Ireland plays best behind a pacy striker.... playing the ball through to Heskey doesn't work.

Friedel was brilliant, Cuellar very good, Clark outstanding, his composure and ability on the ball is staggering, Beye was okay, Lichaj pretty good for me, Bannan just couldn't get into the game, Albrighton got into the game very late, Ireland was pretty bad, Young was okay, Sidwell was okay, NRC was good, committed, we should have had more fouls off the tackles flying in on Ash, but I'll mention that later. Subs, Heskey and Downing were both brilliant, and Collins was just a confidence booster.

Considering we played 60 minutes without a striker, we didn't do too badly. I did think the FOnz should hjave started, attitude problem or no, he needs games.

I thought that bloke (Daniel Johnson) was Fonz from L5! When they were warming up I thought, is it me or have Fonzs dreads got a bit longer!

Referee was a **** joke, their goal Heskey clearly wins the ball, every ball forward they were kicking CLark and Lichaj and pushing them in the back. We put the ball up the field, Heskey is pushed and shoved, free kick Burnley. Albrighton one he clearly exagerrates the contact as he's lost the ball.

Downing's finish was a belter.

15 shots and 7 on target, would be interesting to see how many of those shots were taken before Heskey n Downing came on.

Glad to see Cuellar in the team.

SHA were worse than us on Tuesday night so cant see how some ppl can conceed Sundays game already

So i've just watched extended highlights and first off we desperately need to practice our finishing.

NRC missed an absolute sitter, I dont care how bad your finishing is that chance was harder to not score than it was to score, Sidwell missed a good chance as well, we cant afford to keep wasting our chances otherwise we wont do well this season.

Bannan did not look good at all in the highlights - know its not the best way to judge but u hate to see players losing the ball that often.

Young has to play as our second striker, his passing and putting players through is really good and he seems to enjoy the extra space he gets. If our finishing was better he could have easily had 4 assists instead of the one.

Also Friedel had a very good game lets hope we dont need him as much next game

Extended highlights can be seen here

Some incredible saves by Friedel. The Heskey tackle - yes he got the ball but as we saw with the penalty we got against blues last season that's not the be all & end all. The Lichaj handball probably should have been a peno but not a red card because it wasn't deliberate - in fact his back was turned.

From what I saw the Albrighton send off was bullshit. The bloke threw himself to the ground as soon as he felt contact - no doubt if that had been Heskey with the ball people would have just sais he tripped over a sparrow's fart, nothing to see here...

Jez heskey and delfonsou were not injured, in fact delfonsou was deemed so good that fans were angry last year when he didn't come on.

I myself don't have a big problem with it as we won and I didn't have a problem last season when it happened. Just a bit surprised some are happy with it now.

Here's my take.

Fantastic crowd, which was buoyed by a magnificent turn out by the Burnley fans, who were fantastic.

Didn't appreciate it going to extra time, as I didnt get home to South Wales untill gone midnight.

Friedel: MOTM - 9 - Saved our bacon, though a question mark hangs over his involvement in their goal. I Stand to be corrected though.

Lichaj: 7 - Did well, better defensively than in posession, but did start the move that led to our first goal.

Clark: 8 - Getting more impressed by him. Always seemed to be in the way when he needed to be.

Cuellar: 8 - Good effort from Carlos, and didnt lose the ball very often either.

Beye: 7 - Put in a lot of effort, but got caught out of position and outpaced once or twice.

Albrighton: 6 - Quiet game, though made a worthy sacrifice at the end.

Bannan: 5 - Didnt manage to get on the ball enough and looked panicked when he have posession.

Sidwell: 6 - Lots of tackling and effort for the first 60 minutes, then his passing went woefully astray.

Reo Coker: 6 - Pretty much the same as Sidwell, but missed a golden chance.

Young: 6 - Did Set up a goal, and probably should have set up 2, but stopped trying in the second half. Barely touched the ball.

Ireland: 5 - Just didnt look immensely fussed and seemed all to happy to be muscled off the ball. Some nice touches and 1 nice pass.

Subs:

Heskey & Downing: Basically won it for us. Both deserve a lot of praise here.

I don't understand a lot of the negative posts in here.

It was never going to be a walk in the park when we started with Clark, Lichaj, Albrighton and Bannan.

Houllier did the right thing, in my opinion. Start with kids, give them some experience and then bring on a few more first-teamers to push for the win.

Friedel MOTM.

I thought that Clark and NRC played well.

Downing's shot was a bullet!! I've been sticking by him since he arrived at VP and I think he proved me right last night. His calming influence on the wing is something that doesn't get praised enough. As soon as he came on, we started a clever attack down the left flank with him and Ash interchanging passes.

Before i forget...

Who was it smoking weed in the lower holte? Come on, own up... MrMcWeedGrass was it you?

That aside, I was impressed with the crowd last night. It's a shame that half of them were still trying to get in as it kicked off, but nevertheless, a good turn out.

Â