• Ireland
    • Albrighton
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bannan
    • Heskey (for Ireland 59)
    • Downing (for Bannan 64)
    • Collins (for Sidwell 118)

Thank **** for Emile.

Friedel was great, as was Cuellar and Clark. How those two are behind Dunne, I just don't know. Beye did well. Lichaj decent.

Sidwell started well but after about 70 minutes, he made some super tackles and broke the game up high up the pitch, he just seemed to lose it, i'll put it down to lack of matches and sharpness. Reo-Coker was solid throughout most the game, terrible miss but some good passing and drives forward, he seemed to struggle in extra time a little though, tiredness arguably creeping in.

Win is a win. Shame we had to play the extra half hour though. Great performance from Friedel. Cuellar was decent, not as good as Clark though. Why Beye was at left back I don't know. He's dreadful there. He's not great at right back, but at left back? Awful.

Very worried for Sunday. We won but this was very poor - did anyone see the start of the 2nd period of extra time - we got robbed about possession about 10 seconds after kick off ! - There seems to be a growing lack of professionalism about us.

Ireland - doesn't look bothered and strolls aimlessly around the pitch - needs a kick up the backside - get his head sorted or bench him.

Thought Clark was MOTM tonight. Looked very assured - barking his orders to more senior players.

Really think were gonna get thumped sunday though - we seem to have to many players going through the motions - not tackling back after loosing possession - there doesn't seem to be any sort of system at all - never mind 'no plan b' - there didn't seem a plan a tonight.

Best I can see is a draw Sunday.

really poor, nothing in midfield IMO, no composure no presence anything, reo started well but faded really badly IMO, ireland needs a goal or an assist badly, lichaj was ok but dire in the air, bannan was poor, heskey was great again as was downing, friedel MOTM by miles IMO

both teams had some great chances but overall i think they outplayed us

as for the ref, waste of **** time, nothing wrong with the heskey tackle, ash cant buy fouls like that but heskey and carew constantly give them away, and albrighton barely brushed him wasnt even a push the guy was never getting the ball and dived i really hope we appeal

we looked ok for the first 30 mins, but after the NRC/Bannan miss we were poor. some of our players are so poor on the ball and make stupid decisions- passes that are far too short, dithering on the ball and losing it etc.

biggest culprit of all is sidwell. he is shit. he cant tackle, he cant go past players, he gets outmuscled easily, he cant even pass the ball 5 yards. and one of his supposed strengths- scoring goals, he cant do that either. missed 2 excellent chances tonight.

get rid in january

Sorry but Sidwell made some really good tackles.....he got worse as the game went on but for the first 60/70 minutes, he played pretty well, after that though, especially in extra time, he just turned terrible and gave the ball regularly. The guy hasn't played for so long though, some players need to get that match time under their belt.

Don't think people should be so negative about Sunday. We played poorly in the second half yes but I think if we had put away those chances in the first half we could've won quite convincingly. The win will give the team confidence, especially Heskey and Downing who have both been excellent this season.

Something had been bugging me about Houllier, I like him, I like him a lot, but there was something at the back of my mind, something that I couldn't quite recall...now I remember.

He's insane.

Absolutely barking.

4-4-2 with Young and Ireland as the main strikers - madness.

As it is we worked our socks off and got through, largely because he made the right substitutions at the right times - it's almost as if he thought "How do I stop them lumping it forward to the striker, hold on, I've got a plan..."

I thought Friedel was excellent, as good a game as he's had, Ciaran Clark was very good, Lichaj and Cuellar solid, Beye poor for the first 70 minutes then a little better.

In midfield, Bannan had a bad un, Reo Coker and Sidwell started well but faded, Albrighton had a muted evening which he topped off in memorable fashion and Downing looked good (and at times bad) .

Up front Ashley Young looked like a winger until we brought a striker on, after which he looked good. Ireland looked poor again and is a bit of a worry - if we're to get the best of him we need to play him, but until he finds some form, he shouldn't play - in his defence, giving him the number 9 shirt was one thing, making him justify it is another.

Overall, I'm glad we're through, I just wish we knew the easy way.

Special mentions should go to the referee who was an idiot and to Daniel Johnson who somehow came from nowhere to make the bench.

Special mentions should go to the referee who was an idiot and to Daniel Johnson who somehow came from nowhere to make the bench

Yeah, who the **** is he???

Special mentions should go to the referee who was an idiot and to Daniel Johnson who somehow came from nowhere to make the bench

Yeah, who the **** is he???

Midfielder and Edgar Davids lookalike who has just started to appear on the bench for the reserves.

Sidwell was an absolute disgrace. Friedel mom. Bannan was poor, lichaj alright. Clark played well as did cuellar. Albrighton came into the game late for his standards. Ireland never really showed anything but the formation didn't help him. Substitutes made all the difference. I'm quite worried for Sunday as we were poor. Sidwell playing will be a real concern as he is doing woeful.
not quite sure what game you saw mate. Im usually criticising sidwells every move but tonight he was great. Close 2nd for motm.

Sidwell was an absolute disgrace. Friedel mom. Bannan was poor, lichaj alright. Clark played well as did cuellar. Albrighton came into the game late for his standards. Ireland never really showed anything but the formation didn't help him. Substitutes made all the difference. I'm quite worried for Sunday as we were poor. Sidwell playing will be a real concern as he is doing woeful.
not quite sure what game you saw mate. Im usually criticising sidwells every move but tonight he was great. Close 2nd for motm.

Sidwell, Ireland and Young were gash, the ref was a joke, the 2 subs changed the game and the miserable words removed behind me wouldn't shut up moaning and criticising the sad bastards.

That said 120 mins for £10 was well worth it and we are through to the quarters, happy days!

I was sat in the Doug Ellis tonight, haven't sat in that stand for years, we were sat right next to the away fans, **** loved ripping the piss out of them after Downings beauty! To be fair though, they did themselves proud, made a lot of noise and backed their lot.

Was it me, or did Beye just not want to pass the ball to Bannan this evening? I'm suprised GH didn't bring him off at half time as he had a mare tonight.

Ireland's first touch looked pretty shit too, I'm just not getting what he has to offer at the moment?

Don't understand the shit Sidwell's gettin on here either, didn't think he was that bad tbh.

If we play like we did tonight on Sunday, we'll get hammered!

Brad for MOM, after the shit he got from the Burnley lot he'll be chuffed with his perfomance.

Â