Match Thread: DO NOT ASK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

AVFC-Prideofbrum

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier confirms that NRC will be captain and Dunne as vide-captain. So it's safe to say they'll both be in the team!

With that in mind, I'd go:

------------- Guzan --------------

Lichaj - Dunne - Cuellar - Beye

---------- NRC -- Sidwell -------

Albrighton -- Ash ------ Bannan

------------- Carew --------------

With a bench of: Friedel, Clark, Collins, Ireland, Downing, Heskey, Fonz

I'd start the game quite strong, as I think this Cup is Houllier's main objective for the season, but with a view to make some subs throughout the game to rest Ash/ Albrighton for Sunday's game.

Houllier has plenty of respect for Burnley as he stressed the importance of the Carling Cup.

He said: "We have done our homework. We know about them. They are a good football team who play good football.

"It's a good, important game for them and for us. I hope they have a go but they must expect that we have a go at them as well. It will be an interesting tie.

"The players are aware a win will bring them to the quarter-finals.

"Every cup is important because it is important to bring silverware to the club."

http://tinyurl.com/34yrdyk

Given the importance of NRC with Stan's injury, I think we should give him a break. We will need him to be 100% for the weekend. Put Sidders in the middle with Ireland and go with a 4-4-1-1, with wee Barry in the hole behind the Fonz (pretty much as AVFC POB has them set above).

Anyone who's been reading Stato"s page knows Warny is suspended!

---------------Guzan----------------

--Beye---Clark--Cuellar--Lowry

----------------Sid-------NRC*------

--Albrighton-----Bannan-----Ash

---------------------delfouneso---------

Think we'll play

Guzan

Beye - Cuellar - Clark - Lichaj

Sidwell - NRC

Delfouneso - Ireland - Bannan

Carew

Think this mix gives some fringe players a chance to impress but should be strong enough for Burnley.

Burnley aren't bad you know. I hope we go into this with the right attitude or it could be unpleasant.

I've spoken to a couple of guys who support Championship teams, apparently their defence is pretty woeful and shipping goals at the mo, hope we go at this positively and play 2 up front.

Burnley aren't bad you know. I hope we go into this with the right attitude or it could be unpleasant.

I've spoken to a couple of guys who support Championship teams, apparently their defence is pretty woeful and shipping goals at the mo, hope we go at this positively and play 2 up front.

Yeah, I was talking to a Burnley ST holder last night, and he expects them to get battered.