• Downing
    • A Young
    • Ireland
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Sidwell (for Petrov 39)
    • Albrighton (for Ireland 55)

terrible game all in all that neither team deserved to win.

crowd was good in terms of numbers but very poor atmosphere from us even at 0-0

the performance wasnt too different to a MON era performance in my opinion, but at least we tended to get a decent result of some sort while playing poorly under MON

Dunne - Absolutely terrible touch on OG. Reactions that he's horrible and has been for weeks are rantings and imaginations - IMO

Heskey - Impossible to get a good touch when the keeper gets a touch within a foot or two to place it behind you.

NRC - agreed he's much improved, but he still panics in front of the goal.

I wonder if Houllier isn't thinking a bit longer term than many here. sometimes there's an order to changes.

1) Fitness - we have faded into defensive shell less frequently - perhaps because we have the fitness to do more that drop and stay deep.

2) Confidence on the ball and possession - we are clearly improving But I think this is still where we need the most work.

3) Attack with incisive balls to clinical runs - we saw about 4 of those yesterday - that's about 3 more than we were getting.

4) Eliminate mistakes - not there yet - at either end.

If you get those 4 - in that order - long term you have a great team. Getting those 4 takes time.

Dunne - Absolutely terrible touch on OG. Reactions that he's horrible and has been for weeks are rantings and imaginations - IMO

Absolute drivel. Richard Dunne has been getting worse and worse since the Carling Cup Final now (which makes it months, not weeks) - there are no "imaginations" there, thanks.

Early on and then for the whole of the second half, we played well and were clearly superior to Sunderland.

But we need....

...to think about Cuellar being Collins' central defensive partner,

...someone's to score some goals,

...better than Petrov and NRC in the center of midfield.

Until then, there's going to be more of this slump into mid table mediocrity.

Bottom line is, we deserved at least a point from the game, our build up play and defending (apart from Dunne, and Warnock in the 1st half) was great up until they scored and all through the 2nd half. But we couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and that needs to be sorted out, but I'm liking Houllier's style of football the more I see it, it is just that cutting edge we are lacking atm and when that is sorted out we will be fine...

Heskey - Impossible to get a good touch when the keeper gets a touch within a foot or two to place it behind you.

I wonder if Houllier isn't thinking a bit longer term than many here. sometimes there's an order to changes.

1) Fitness - we have faded into defensive shell less frequently - perhaps because we have the fitness to do more that drop and stay deep.

2) Confidence on the ball and possession - we are clearly improving But I think this is still where we need the most work.

3) Attack with incisive balls to clinical runs - we saw about 4 of those yesterday - that's about 3 more than we were getting.

If you get those 4 - in that order - long term you have a great team. Getting those 4 takes time.

fitness? it is because the style of play has changed, he has been at the club with his coaches for less than 3 months, the fitness will be no different. we sat deap and hit on the counter previously.

dunn? he has been a LOT worse this season, it is either due to an injury or to some personal issues maybe? what ever it is, it is effecting his game and we look weaker with him in the team. he did one great tackle at the end of the game. needs dropping.

ireland needs dropping.

downing on one side, albrighton on the other

heskey and young up front

NRC and petrov in the middle

collins and cuellar at the back

unless we have better players who can come in such as gabby then this is what i think we should go with.

obviously with only 1 left back in warnock and beye being the only fit senior right back they wold go into the full back positions.

Freezing cold, cold wind in face, poor atmosphere, terribly long drive - taking ages to get out of Sunderland round a stupid one way system and lots of "no car" lanes!!! Rubbish game too. That's just my humble opinion - although second half was better. WHY won't anyone have a bloody shot at goal (Albrighton excepted) Lovely cheeseburger at the ground though! Worried about next Sunday. :cry:

Freezing cold, cold wind in face, poor atmosphere, terribly long drive - taking ages to get out of Sunderland round a stupid one way system and lots of "no car" lanes!!! Rubbish game too. That's just my humble opinion - although second half was better. WHY won't anyone have a bloody shot at goal (Albrighton excepted) Lovely cheeseburger at the ground though! Worried about next Sunday. :cry:

This.

Ireland - Passenger, gave the ball away all the time. Sunderland's 12th man.

Reo Coker - Had a really good game IMO.

Warnock - Looks more dodgy every game he plays, could have an injury though that I don't know about.

Beye - A lot better than expected, pleased with that.

Downing - Jury out, is he really a winger ? Not enough pace and tries to go past people. Currently I am horrifies at the price tag for him, maybe he will copme good but what's good compared to his current ?

Dunne - Overrated, cumbersome and can read the game like Stevie Wonder with thick gloves on and a Braille book detailing "Sunderland v AVFC, the next 5 minutes" in a dark room while being molested by a fraggle. If people can see something I don't then fair enough but compare his positioning to a player like Mcgrath for example.

Petrov - Played with 2 holding players so we should have run the show, if the show was a bring n buy sale. He does not do 1 thing really well and is just meh at everything. I think he was sat on his ars as the goal went in.

1st half poor very poor

Was in the 2nd row frezzing

2nd half we were much the better side and so many chaces how Heskey missed that chance i dont know your a forward ffs you cant miss form there. Ireland wernt good yet again dunno why

To top the day off came out the ground got on the coach and got told coach had a flat battery and couldnt move didnt leave the ground til half 7 all of us on the coach went to the pub for 2 hours Sunderland fans were good with us

fitness? it is because the style of play has changed, he has been at the club with his coaches for less than 3 months, the fitness will be no different. we sat deap and hit on the counter previously.

dunn? he has been a LOT worse this season, it is either due to an injury or to some personal issues maybe? what ever it is, it is effecting his game and we look weaker with him in the team. he did one great tackle at the end of the game. needs dropping.

ireland needs dropping.

downing on one side, albrighton on the other

heskey and young up front

NRC and petrov in the middle

collins and cuellar at the back

unless we have better players who can come in such as gabby then this is what i think we should go with.

obviously with only 1 left back in warnock and beye being the only fit senior right back they wold go into the full back positions.

Umm, if you don't think fitness has improved and is playing a factor in the tendency to drop deep and defend, try reading what the players themselves have said about it. Your assertion that it makes no difference, it's a tactical decision, is groundless. Your assertion that Dunne has been "a LOT worse" is equally groundless. IMO. You don't have to agree with me.

Â