• Downing
    • A Young
    • Ireland
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Sidwell (for Petrov 39)
    • Albrighton (for Ireland 55)

dunne made a brilliant tackle in stoppage time when it was one on one.

but I didnt see the first half.

We spurned loads of chances in the 2nd half.

Under O'Neill we would always come from behind. we've lost that steel.

I think we've gonna get our arse cheeks parted dry for the first time in ages next weekend.

shit game, frustrating as hell as IMO sunderland only had about 15 minutes on top we bossed most of the game but never looked like scoring

the first 3 pen shouts would all have been soft IMO but downings looked an all-dayer maybe downing doesnt scream enough for it, but halsey was shite anyway, heskey and warnocks bookings werent even fouls and in general he was a homer cant judge a shoulder to shoulder to save his life

dunne IMO needs dropping but i think the great tackle at the end will save him, in general i think over than that 15 minute period and warnocks shakey injury ridden start we did well, beye was good collins solid as ever and bent hardly got a sniff

ash was non existent 1st half, much better in the 2nd downing played really well in patches, ireland doesnt look up to speed, NRC played well but again snuffed a great chance ill let him off for the malbranque tackle, sidwell played as good as he ever has for us

heskey MOTM IMO, im convinced the keeper got a touch and nutmegged him he didnt swing a foot at it, but created the nrc chance and the ireland one, won alot in the air and chased really well

all in all more frustrating than anything else as we were the better team just a really shit goal and lack of consistency in the final 3rd

I thought Downing, Sidders, Albrighton, Young (2nd half) Beye, Heskey and Friedel were all top notch. Collins was okay, NRC MOTM (for me) Petrov was shit, Ireland shit, Warnock average.

Collins, Friedel and NRC were our best players, closely followed by Downing and Heskey. Ash played well when he was moved inside. Ireland had a poor game, he needed to drop deeper to receive the ball instead of playing as a 2nd striker. Beye played well, for him. Petrov was poor, his replacement was a tiny bit better. Gabby would have scored Heskey's sitter. But he probably wouldn't have held the ball up aswell as Heskey did Today.

The ref was terrible.

Not our worst performance this season (at least the Newcastle game will, hopefully, allow us to say that whenever we lose this year)!

Hesky coundn't score in a brothel

Sidwell is a magician - he disappears for 90 minutes at a time

Stupid goal given away when there was hardly any danger Sunderland would score..... Aaaahhh - so frustrating against a team we should beat.

only saw the second half, thought we were impressive. thought sidders played a bit of a blinder tbh, him and coker in the middle of the park were really mobile. downing looked good again as did big E, shame he missed that sitter.

We probably deserved a draw, but that's more to do with both sides being very poor.

Goals are our problem, we got nine in nine league games. Heskey will give you effort and a presence but he won't score many and with Agbonlahor injured and Carew semi-retired we're short of options.

Young behind the striker only works with Albrighton in, he can't play there if Ireland plays and given that Ireland looks in terrible form and Albrighton has been our best player this season, I think we need to drop Ireland.

Petrov's injury is a problem, Sidwell did okay today but I can't see him giving more than that - I'd consider starting Bannan.

At the back, Dunne is off his best and Cuellar or Clark must surely come into consideration.

We're not good enough at the moment, which is understandable with Agbonlahor, Luke Young, Petrov and Delph injured and Ireland, Dunne and Carew out of sorts, but it leaves us with a problem.

The unthinkable in our next League game would leave us having to look at the nasty end of the table.

There's a lot for the Frenchman to consider.

We need Gabby fit and quickly. Tough start for Houlier 3 away games against tough teams, and Chelsea at home. We need to pick up at least 7 points in the next 3 games if we are to push for 6th.

We are really missing Milner and Gabby, Albrighton has to start next week and Dunne needs to be dropped.

Pity about the result. They were first to every ball first half and closed us down really well but didn't look like scoring till Dunne put them ahead. Lack of communication between him and Collins for that goal.

Second half we looked better and I was pleasantly surprised by Sidwell who I thought had a good game as did NRC. Saw the two sides of Heskey..some great battling to win the ball on occasion but terrible miss second half.

We really do miss Gabby at the moment.

Despite us playing pretty triangles - we are a very easy team to beat.

Had we equalised today - I reckon sunderland would have got a second goal - we are that soft.

Early days - but GH doesn't seem to to be bringing anything to the party for me.......thank god we beat wolves ......but so will everyone else

Good performance, just unlucky.

Not all that unlucky when you play Heskey as lone striker and have NRC one of the players whose role is to join attacks.

Could have at least put another striker on at the end when we were chasing.

We played well but didn't get the result is a recurring theme. Quite the opposite of last season. A 20 minute spell cost us which is really disappointing.

We need a goalscorer and it's up to Houllier to address that, I can't complain too much today about his decisions. People may mention about starting Dunne but he didn't do too badly apart from the own goal, but he **** up so deserves criticism for that. It was promising to see him make the change early on in the second half. Should we have made another? I don't know.

cant see the point in moaning about the ref - its not because of him that we lost.

first 45 we were dire, 2nd half was better, but why does no-one want to attack the goal??? albrighton came on and was more direct in his first five minutes than the whole team had been in the rest of the game.

most of us said that a point would be a good result today so it doesnt feel like a disasterous result to lose 1-0 but we cant expect to get anything from matches if we are only going to play for one half of them.

Awful in the first half but much much better in the second. Heskey really should have made it 1-1 it was a sitter.

Beye, NRC and Heskey all did well today. Can't believe I'm saying this but Sidwell was good off the bench and Albrightons appearance greatly improved us.

Ireland was poor today but he needs to be given time.

Â