Match Thread: DO NOT ASK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Tuesday's mood.

First these (6):

Friedel, Warnock, Reo-Coker, Petrov, Young, Downing.

The rest are replaceable:

L Young/Beye, Collins/Dunne/Clark/Cuellar, Albrighton/Ireland, Heskey/Agbonlahor/Carew

But according to my liking:

L Young/Beye, Collins/Dunne/Clark/Cuellar, Albrighton, Heskey/Agbonlahor ...

no, too early, I'll be back on Friday.

Friedel

Young Collins Cuellar Warnock

Petrov NRC

Downing Ireland Ash

Heskey

(Beye in place of L Young if he's injured)

I'd like to see a similar performance to how we played last weekend, but because we won't be as wary of the quality of the opposition, I'd like to think that we will open up a bit more and hopefully grab a few goals!

A couple of options for late subs!

1) If one of Ireland/ Ash/ Downing isn't performing then bring on Super Marc for one of them and let him run riot down the right wing. (Obviously pushing Ash into the middle if Ireland is replaced).

2) If we're leading by more than one goal then I'd like to see Albrighton brought on for Petrov around the 60th/70th minute and Ireland dropped into a 2-man central-midfield with NRC. This would then give us a very attacking midfield to push for more goals without the worry that we could lose the points.

Option 2 is a bit risky as the general opinion is that Ireland shouldn't be played in a 2-man central midfield. But I'm still confident that he'd be okay alongside a strong, tall, energetic midfielder OR if we're comfortably winning with a 2-goal lead.

Friedel

Young Collins Cuellar Warnock

Petrov NRC

Downing Ireland Ash

Heskey

(Beye in place of L Young if he's injured)

I'd like to see a similar performance to how we played last weekend, but because we won't be as wary of the quality of the opposition, I'd like to think that we will open up a bit more and hopefully grab a few goals!

A couple of options for late subs!

1) If one of Ireland/ Ash/ Downing isn't performing then bring on Super Marc for one of them and let him run riot down the right wing. (Obviously pushing Ash into the middle if Ireland is replaced).

2) If we're leading by more than one goal then I'd like to see Albrighton brought on for Petrov around the 60th/70th minute and Ireland dropped into a 2-man central-midfield with NRC. This would then give us a very attacking midfield to push for more goals without the worry that we could lose the points.

Option 2 is a bit risky as the general opinion is that Ireland shouldn't be played in a 2-man central midfield. But I'm still confident that he'd be okay alongside a strong, tall, energetic midfielder OR if we're comfortably winning with a 2-goal lead.

Agree with this Rob. My sub would be Stan for Marc after 60 but shift DJ in alongside NRC and let him be the playmaker. I think his distribution from a deeper position would be better than SI who, for my money, is better in and around the opposition box and needs to continue to develop a relationship with Ash.

This season is a write off for Gabby already, what's actually wrong with him?

He's still recovering from that groin operation he had. I think Houllier has mentioned that he should start training mid-next week.

Hopefully he'll be back for the sha game!

Barry'sBoots, good point. Downing in the middle with NRC would also be another decent option if Stan is tiring.

It's nice to have a few options that are actually viable! (Although, I'm not sure if Houllier has considered Downing in a central role)

I know we are pretty unpredictable at times but I feel Lawro is underestimating us somewhat.

Gerard Houllier has made an encouraging start as Aston Villa boss but he is still finding his feet and they are very much a work in progress at the moment.

Sunderland have started the season well without getting enough wins - they have drawn more games than any other Premier League team - but they should put that right here.

Prediction: 2-0

Here