• A Young
    • Ireland
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Clark (for Dunne 13)
    • Delfouneso (for Carew 74)
    • Sidwell (for Ireland 84)

More than happy with the result, happy with a lot of the performance.

We miss a striker like a man would miss a leg. Carew was anonymous largely.

Top stuff from Petrov and Downing particularly.

As for NRC's chance, never in doubt as to the outcome ;).

Somewhat worrying that the moment Chelsea started to really bother we looked like a team holding on for dear life at times, and thats with Chelsea at a bit of a canter.

good first half very poor second

still a lot of work needed on technique, we gave it away so many times with a poor pass or touch, and we kept doing it around our own box.

carew looks finished, hes just too slow. i thought NRC was poor today, didnt get stuck in, didnt drive forward with the ball, didnt do anything really. that miss sums him up. a nice tackle to win the ball, a decent run but then an appalling finish. he is so poor technically!

Missed the first 10 minutes of the game but other than that I thought that a draw was a pretty fair reflection of the game. We really need Heskey and Gabby back though because Carew is finished.

Nobody really had a standout game for Villa but I thought Beye was pretty decent. Reo-Coker was poor and Carew once again didn't turn up.

Worked out cotton socks off today to a man. Chelsea are a classy side who pass the ball really well but they certainly had

to work hard themselves to keep us at bay.

We defended magnificently and considering we lost our 1st choice right back & centre half before & early in the game that

was no mean feat. Apart from one sloppy pass I didn't see Ciaran Clark put a foot wrong today.

Special mention to Downing & Young they put one heck of a shift in both in attack & 2nd half in defence.

If ONLY NRC could score! Still we got away with things a couple of times 2nd half so overall pretty satisfied.

NRC should have buried that at the end. Just goes to show we need to bring in more players who can SCORE GOALS, then we could be winning these games.

We know scoring isn't his strong point but don't think many in our team would have won the ball and got there in the first place in the 94th minute.

Good performance, was a bit worried with the starting line up and then Clark coming on but no one put a foot wrong. Houllier looks to have to boys more disciplined and organised. Square pegs were in square holes and that is probably why we were more organised but if we can start putting out these sort of performances week in week out against the lesser sides we will have no trouble at all and top 6 is ours for the taking.

Thought the whole team put in a great shift.

Warnock and Downing I think we're both excellent. As was Petrov, Reo-Coker was solid despite that last minute miss.

Clark and Collins were very solid. Beye did okay, Young was poor. Ireland had good spells but found it tough to get into the match.

Good point.

Mainly this.

I was most impressed with our organisation. Top stuff.

MOTM is a tough one. Around 7 of our players had a really good game today I thought.

Too many chances missed against a side like Chelsea though, good to see us creating chances through good play and hard work.

Ireland's chance was the best, the angle he came from, the way it sat up, seemed perfect.

Reo-Coker's chance wasn't too far behind, sort of like Ireland, did everything right but just off target.

Carew's effort was decent but needed far more pace while Clark's header was simply unlucky.

Overall ratings:

Friedel - 7 - Not much to do really, what he did do, he did it well.

Beye - 7 - Solid enough.

Warnock - 8.5 - probably his best game for a long while.

Collins - 8 - was a rock

Clark - 7.5 - Again like Collins, very solid, 1/2 times caught out a little but generally very good.

Downing - 9 - With the ball and without the ball, he was first class and proved me being correct when saying he should be on A.Cole's side!!

Young - 6.5 - Good shift, lacked quality.

Petrov - 8 - Read the game well, perfect for him. Just a good all round performance.

Reo-Coker - 7.5 - Got around well as usual, unlucky at the end after good work.

Ireland - 7 - Glimses of what he can do but not in the game enough, although playing with a target man who can't hold a ball up and being dominated doesn't help.

Carew - 6 - Lazy, second to every ball. Few okay touches. 6 is possibly generous.

Was there a reason Clark was picked to come on over Cuellar? Clark did well but it seemed very harsh on Cuellar. Also, had anyone else forgotten Bosingwa existed?

He is left footed with Cueller being right sided.

Didn't seem to be an issue against Wolves.

Was there a reason Clark was picked to come on over Cuellar? Clark did well but it seemed very harsh on Cuellar. Also, had anyone else forgotten Bosingwa existed?

He is left footed with Cueller being right sided.

Didn't seem to be an issue against Wolves.

But we weren't playing Wolves.

Carew was nothing but a post for the ball to bounce off today. I once loved the man, but no longer relish the thought of BJC ripping defences apart because it is the stuff of myth these days.

Chelsea really lifted a few gears in the 2nd half and I was pretty much pessimistically waiting for the coup de grace but it never came.

While it's true that Nigel should have either buried that chance or at least hooked it back for Delouneso I would remind people that Ashley Young missed a couple of nailed on 1-on-1s last season and Gabby misses those in his sleep. And you have to acknowledge the fact that he picked Cole's (?) pocket to get the opportunity in the first place.

A weakened Chelsea vs a weakened Villa, both teams having plenty of missed chances, you'd have to say a draw was fair.

Downing was my MOTM, with Warnock close behind. Clark did a pretty decent job, given the circumstances. His passing was a mixture of liability and inspiration but he did his job defensively and was a whisker away from bagging a goal.

Â