If there was a General Election Tomorrow ...

tonyh29

So who would get you "X" tomorrow  

53 members have voted

1. 1. So who would get you "X" tomorrow

• Conservative
    • Lib Dem
    • Labour
    • UKIP
    • Green Party
    • ConDem party
    • Abstain
    • Spoilt Paper

I'm surprised the Liberal remain an option...

Well, they are still a party Ash, and would in all probability stand as such at the next election, but I can see their core or traditional voters turning away from them in droves, unless they make a stand, which I think they will do, after May. They'll simply have too, IMO. If they don't, they'll become such a marginal fringe party as to be irrelevant.

Well, they are still a party Ash, and would in all probability stand as such at the next election, but I can see their core or traditional voters turning away from them in droves, unless they make a stand, which I think they will do, after May. They'll simply have too, IMO. If they don't, they'll become such a marginal fringe party as to be irrelevant.

I know I was just having a dig at them, I just hold them in great distain at the moment. I personally don't think it will help if they make a stand after May, I think the damage is done.

kwangos

QUANGOS.

and without looking it up, for i studied it at Uni....

Quasi Autonomous Non Governmental Organisations. :oops:

Some are extremely useful too, althohgh I agree many aren't.

I know I was just having a dig at them, I just hold them in great distain at the moment.

About which we agree yet again. :winkold: :lol:

All Tories are rocket polishers who will eat our children.

Any temptation I had to vote Lib Dem has evaporated in the light of their shameful arse-licking sellout. I hope their party goes out of business.

I have no enthusiasm for Milliband, but Labour it is.

this really - I did vote LibDem last time and look what it got me!

still struggling to work out how people aren't getting the idea of a coalition. What exactly are the lib dems supposed to have done? They will an element of influence but hardly total given that they're the junior partner in the deal. Usually a vote for LD is idealogical with no chance of power. Now there's a chance that at least some stuff will happen - ie electoral reform. Clearly there are also going to be issues where the conservatives will be enacting something they want to do too. In the compromise there will be stuff you like and stuff you don't.

Seeing as many people decided Clegg was stuck between a rock and a hard place when the election results fell, not sure why so many are surprised at what's happened?

I'm not overly joyed with the student fees thing at the moment, but what realistically were they supposed to do?

I know this is a wasted argument on more or less everyone here, but, and whilst I am reserving judgement both ways on it's effectiveness until the next vote, I don't understand the mass hysteria. Is it because they decided to try and govern with a party with which there are some differences - oh sorry - I presume thats because they're POWERCRAZYMANIACZ LOLZ.

Also fail to see why Labour are being so readily forgiven after the collection of numpties we had to suffer on the news etc for the past 3-4 years. ( the likes of balls, byrne etc being utterly insufferable )

Should have waited another week Tony. When the spending review is announced next week it will massively affect how people vote as I still don't think some realise the savagery of the cuts to be announced. Some will be justifiable due to having to cut the deficit. Many are just ideological.

That was why i added the coalition as an option as I wondered if anyone would chose it ...in theory Cleggs influence might reign in a few of those ideological views

Does seem that the Libs are taking a hammering in our poll though compared to before the GE ... and the swing seems be very much to Labour ... and that's before 14:30 when all the students get out of bed

I'm not overly joyed with the student fees thing at the moment, but what realistically were they supposed to do?

Speaking of the Lib Dems as a party, I have some sympathy with what you say, in that they are part of a coalition and therefore can't really be held as they would in normal circumstances to the specifics of their manifesto (though for such an important part of their campaign platform as this to be tossed out in such an apparently cavalier fashion is, perhaps, a little more important than most things).

As individual MPs having signed the pledge, however, I think they might have a real issue when it comes to the next election. They pledged not only as Liberal Democrats but as MPs/candidates never to do something and they have done that. If their electorate chooses to forgive them under the circumstances then that's fair enough as it is their prerogative but I'm not so sure some of them will/should.

By ther time the next election comes round, it may well all be in the distant past for most (electorates having short memories, &c.) but their political oponents won't forget it and it'll be wheeled out, without doubt.

I think what particular irks me, though, is the maxim used to excuse any kind of change of policy (by either party in the coalition) that 'they didn't know the scale of the problem'. Yes, they bloody did; they campaigned on it. They knew what the deficit forecast for 10/11 was projected to be (higher than the current projection). No, the previous government hadn't really set out the detail of how they were intending to reduce the deficit but that's something the opposition parties told us in the general election campaign, too (and why the Tories said that they couldn't really fully set out theirs).

So, overall, my problem with the Lib Dem change on the policy is not necessarily that they have changed, it is the possible deceit (and the context in which that change is being presented).

the thing is whilst there are some tories I can agree with and quite like... it's still a party that puts george osbourne as chancellor and still holds a few stick in the muds with some old-fashioned views.

I must admit that when it comes to voting, my knowledge of the economy - despite efforts to educate myself - do amount to a little under diddly squat, so I tend to base it ( my vote ) on socially progressive approaches - and whilst I am aware that often this is pretty much linked to the economy quite obviously, I go for a party/person which are likely to be less prejudiced to minorities/ less "we're a christian county grr grr" /more support for science & and withdrawn support for fa*th schools/ more greener/less warmongery / more willing to not bow-down to media moneymen like murdoch - something which I entirely resent the tories for - also having someone like that coulsen chap from the NOTW is incredibly off-putting.

Also cuts I accepted as being inevitable even if they must be done after a considered approach. I also liked Clegg's announcement of allowing the public to put forward bills to be repealed etc. He'll come under fire for the student fee pledge understandably... but as usual it's the mass hypocrisy / double standards to when someone performs a volte-face when everyone forgets that everyone else has done it too. I'm sure the media would like to crucify the lib dems now - make it easier to have a two party oligarchy of perpetual shite in the future - and mayber they deserve it, maybe they don't, but urgh, the double standards, the political "debate" - the way the colours of a party seem to determine how one should react to their action can be so boring.

Edited - unnecessarily personal comment.

george osbourne as chancellor

serious question but what has he done during his time as Chancellor that is so wrong ? I accept the child benefit presentation left a bit to be desired but with around 80% of the public backing it , it appears to be a good move ?

The OBR seems a good idea

Even on the TV debates where he was expected to get a kick in he held his own , there was no real clear winner or loser in the debate .. Darling also doing better than expected

thing to remember is the public thought Brown was a good chancellor , indeed many praised him as the best ever (needless to say I was one of the few :-) ) .... so public perception isn't always on the money

Voted Tory then and would do the same now. There are many things about the new Government that I don't like but as it stands at the moment they are the only single party that can form a credible Government, imo.

serious question but what has he done during his time as Chancellor that is so wrong ?

I'll refer back to having a distinctive mistrust of tories :P

but, whilst of course I should judge him on his actions, I currently hold a severe level of skepticism and reservations based on his speeches, and I am not convinced his ideas would be without an ideological prejudice behind. But I will obviously be as open minded as I can regarding his tenure. I'm concerned regarding his experience of life beyond the rich and richer. ( I fully accept that most MPs including the lefties haven't exactly been wanting for money in their life either, but these others seem to have at least had a foot steeped in the real world on occasion ).

Voted Tory then and would do the same now. There are many things about the new Government that I don't like but as it stands at the moment they are the only single party that can form a credible Government, imo.
Erm, I think you'll find that as a single party they can't !

as it stands at the moment they are the only single party that can form a credible Government, imo.
Erm, I think you'll find that as a single party they can't !

Ok, if they got a majority in Tony's hypothetical snap election.

Â