Child Support ( Non Bollitics ideally)

tonyh29

Do you agree or disagree with the proposed cut In Child benefit moneyfrom 2013  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with the proposed cut In Child benefit moneyfrom 2013

• Yes
    • No

I think it's already got a name sadly ;). Big Lie method. Thank Goebbels for popularising it :P

Ah but that would be formulated, intended propaganda, wouldn't it?

The Petrov fallacy would be fact being derived from the repetition of assumptions based on (perhaps on the surface reasonable) observations.

It would be more of an example of a cognitive bias than a method of disseminating a particular point of view.

I think it's already got a name sadly ;). Big Lie method. Thank Goebbels for popularising it :P

Ah but that would be formulated, intended propaganda, wouldn't it?

The Petrov fallacy would be fact being derived from the repetition of assumptions based on (perhaps on the surface reasonable) observations.

It would be more of an example of a cognitive bias than a method of disseminating a particular point of view.

Yes, exactly. The Goebbels method assumes one creator of the myth (maybe more, working towards an aim), the Petrov effect doesn't, it's more about repetition by people just passing on received opinion without critical thought.

There are a lot of people that will feel this when it is removed.

Its 20 quid per week at the moment, which is 1040 per year net so for the sake of simple maths (and yes I know its not accurate) is about 1500 gross, so effectively these people will get a 1500 pay cut. If you have more kids then obviously the pay cut is larger.

Interesting choice of the words "pay cut". it's not a pay cut. People don't "earn" benefit. It's a hand out.

Giving hand outs to people who genuinely need the help is fine. Giving hand outs to people who would like it, or might miss it a bit, or might have to adjust their spending on satellite TV, or Wine, or downsize from a BMW to a Ford, or stop the piano lessons for Jessica, when the money is taken in tax from people who do earn it is not fine.

Interesting choice of the words "pay cut". it's not a pay cut. People don't "earn" benefit. It's a hand out.

Totally agree , On the use of the word "cut" We had similar with Forgemasters where 300 new jobs not being created = 300 people losing their job .. only of course they didn't

Interestingly on QT last night when Warsi tried to talk about the reasoning behind the cut in between screeching she didn't really get the message across very well ..when the Woolly party person said pretty much the same thing she got a round of applause ...

Suggest ,the public seem to be in agreement with the idea behind it , just not the presentation ( or the people presenting it ?) .. guess that is the lesson the government need to take from this as much as anything.

Found some article last night , was a blog of some sorts about a debate that took place with Charles Clarke and Michael Goves and a few other politicians ... was a sort of informal off the record thing ... The Torys expect after the cuts start to kick in for the polls to put labour at a double digit poll lead and that the party is going to become really unpopular ( cue jokes about them already being unpopular :-) )

If I was Argentina i'd start getting nervous round about 2014 :-)

Â