P90 X

Dom_Wren

Just finished my first official day of P90X. Chest and back was ok, kept it at about 10-15 reps for push ups and around 5 for pull ups so I could get through the two rounds without burning out, I'll step it up over the weeks. I need to figure out better technique with my resistance bands though, some of the exercises felt like I wasn't getting enough resistance, might just use two bands, if not I'll figure out some kind of alternative.

Ab Ripper X is a killer though! Made it through but probably only did 1/3 of what they did on the video!

Also you will get better at the Ab ripper X. i was the same 1st time i did it, I'm now up to doing at least half of what they do if not three quarters (and thats just in a week). Just make sure you push yourself on it every time and really try to do all of the reps on each one.

Just started my second week on this and not long finished the Chest/Back workout.

Its hard collar which is a good thing and I have to say I'm quite enjoying it. Its different to what I've done previously. For around the last 8 years I've been lifting weights consistently and doing bike work for cardio so I'm interested to see what results/effects this approach will have. Its certainly a massive change in approach not using any weights for chest work and it totally revolving around various forms of press ups.

Oh and the sit up program is a real killer.

Anyone else still doing this?

I'm in to my third week now. Like I've said previously I've been weight training and biking for over 8 years and considered myself to have a good level of fitness but I've found this tough. I think it is to do with it moving along at a pretty fast pace so whilst getting a muscle workout you are also doing cardio. Having said that I've noticed its got slightly easier.

Anyone considering doing it I'd say you'd need to be reasonably fit otherwise it could be a real struggle especially if you try to move along at the same pace as they do on the videos and it could be quite demoralising if you really struggle. I'd recommend it though based of my experience so far.

Oh also I wasn't really trying to lose any weight but I've lost 3 pounds since starting this.

I've just finished my second week, but I must confess to skipping the kenpo X again yesterday, so i haven't stuck to it religiously.

I haven't weighed myself but I can tell I've lost a small amount of weight. Even the plyometrics second time round felt easier though, and the yoga (which I enjoy a worrying amount even though it's very tough)

Definitely going to keep it up, I wish I had some dumbells though, I don't like using the resistance bands. they do the job but it's just not the same, and it's hard to keep track of how heavy the weights are that you're lifting.

Anyone know of a cheap set of dumbells I could get?

Steveo your going to want at least 40kg of weight ( 20kg each dumbbell). Argos have a decent deal on a barbell/dumbbell set with 50kg of weights ( £29.99). Link below. Its vinyl weights which isn't great as I've always preferred metal and you'd obviously not need the barbell but to get that kind of weight you'd need to buy a set of dumbbells which would only come with about 20kg of weight and then buy some more weight separately so combined you'd be looking at over £50.00. Therefore the deal below is really good.

http://tinyurl.com/3ayb6yj

Nice one mate. I've got a birthday coming up as well as, obviously, christmas, so I'll stick that on my list and hopefully someone will buy it for me. That's not a bad price at all.

It also doesn't help that the bands I have aren't that strong. I always use the highest resistance band and even then, for some of the exercises (like the cohen crouch I think it's called) I have to stand on pretty much the end of the band which is causing them to fray a bit so they probably won't last long.

• 3 weeks later...

How's everybody getting on with this? I've not managed any for a couple of weeks, back home in Birmingham and all my exercise gear is at uni halls in London. Will be getting straight back on it when I get back though, not far off 14 stone now, lightest I've been in a couple of years, can easily see myself reaching my target of 13 if I stick with p90x. Going to make more of an effort with the nutrition when I get back too, oddly enough the hardest thing for me to give up will be milk - I've been addicted to the stuff since I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

I think xmas week has effectively reversed any good P90x did me! Haven't exercised for over a week.

Think I'm going to start the whole thing again on Monday. The holiday period wasn't a great time to be attempting it I don't think.

I find it really hard to be honest. Not physically hard (the routines are ok, I can keep up), but having to come back from work at 6:30 and then spend an hour and a half doing P90X and then cooking dinner, means I'm not sitting down relaxing until half 8 ish.

It's fine for a week or two but after that it starts grinding on you.

That and sticking to the diet is tough. If i had a personal chef to cook me the meals i think I'd be alright, but having to make the same thing over and over bores me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming up to 8 weeks on this now and it is going great. Having been consistently weight training for the best part of nine years this was more about trying to freshen things up a little rather than an attempt to get fit and its certainly achieved what I was hoping for. I've really enjoyed the intensity of the workouts and the fact that when doing the weight training routines you move through them at quite a pace so are not just working your muscles in a traditional weight training sense but are also getting a cardio workout at the same time. The plyometrics part is great and I actually do it 2 -3 times a week rather than the one in the schedule plan.

Like any exercise you can only get out what you put in but at 37 I'm confident that with in the next couple months I'll be in the best shape of my life and I say that as someone who as pretty much always been into keeping fit and in decent shape. This program will be the main reason for that so I guess its the highest praise I can give.

I'd advise anyone to give it a go but to get the best out of it I'd suggest you need a reasonable base fitness level before starting as otherwise you could really struggle and become demoralised as it is intense.

Well done mate. Xmas week destroyed it for me. I think Iw ent back to square one and haven't restarted since.

I've started eating well again though and may try and give this another go. If I'd have kept it up I'd be 2 months into it now!!

No shame in having a break over Christmas mate. I had a few days off. Thats in the past now and the key is to jump back in and go for it . Once you've done a few sessions you will be back in to it and that will give you the motivation to keep going. The hardest step will be starting again. As you go along and start seeing results that will be enough to keep you going. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did all the prior to day 1 stuff for the first time and I'm going to start this today. I've lost a lot of mass recently and am mostly all bone at the moment. After p90x I used to say that muscles were popping up where I didn't think muscles could be, now it's the same, but it's bone. So I want to get rid of that. Also my clothes aren't fitting any more. So it's either buy new clothes or get back to the gym. The gym is healthier and cheaper.

Also could I look any gayer in those before pictures.

So an egg and bread now. A small protein shake with glucose. Chest and back with a bottle of lucozade, ab ripper x. A large protein shake. Run (hobble) to lidl buy a load of bananas. Spaghetti bolognese and then the night is mine.

My day 1 attributes:

Day 1

Body Fat % - 8.4%

Weight – 136 lb

Chest – 86cm

Waist – 72cm

Hips – 77cm

R Thigh – 43cm

L Thigh – 42cm

R tensed Bicep – 32cm

L Tensed Bicep – 30cm

Pull ups – 12