P90 X

Dom_Wren

I'm going to start the diet but not sure exactly what to be eating. I was thinking a typical day of eating would be like this;

breakfast - boiled eggs on toast

snack - protein bar/shake

lunch - chicken salad

snack - protein bar/shake

tea - chicken breast and some vegetables.

Would that be a sufficient diet? Or do i need to include other things. From doing PE at A level i seem to recall if you have too much protein it turns to fat anyway and there seems way too much protein in that diet.

The best tip I can provide on diet is to stay off dairy as best as you can, eggs included. Another one is bread and pasta, both are incredibly bloating. There is also fizzy drinks, you might as well have a pint!

Too much protein is bad if you don't use it because it is naturally hard for the body to break down. Saturated fat and sugars are the worst though so if you are label checking, be sure to check on these. I have stuck to veg, chicken, fish, beans and rice pretty much gospel and I have significantly reduced my body fat content whilst also building muscle.

That sounds alright then. I did back and chest and ab ripper on monday, yesterday i did plyometrics. Today my muscles feel so sore, i attempted ab ripper and shoulders and arms but im thinking of leaving it today, so i can let my muscles rest a bit so i can actually do more tomorrow.

The best tip I can provide on diet is to stay off dairy as best as you can, eggs included. Another one is bread and pasta, both are incredibly bloating. There is also fizzy drinks, you might as well have a pint!

Too much protein is bad if you don't use it because it is naturally hard for the body to break down. Saturated fat and sugars are the worst though so if you are label checking, be sure to check on these. I have stuck to veg, chicken, fish, beans and rice pretty much gospel and I have significantly reduced my body fat content whilst also building muscle.

I disagree on a fair chunk of that.

Dairy is good, it's a great source of fat, eggs are especially awesome. Ignore anyone that tells you they raise cholesterol, they're talking rubbish.

Protein is awesome, it's hard to get "too much", for reference, I eat between 200g - 250g of protein a day, most people struggle to get even half that. It takes an obscene amount of protein to do any damage.

Saturated fat IS NOT bad, it's far more important to make sure you're eating the right balance of fats rather than quantity. Saturated/Unsaturated should be around a 50:50 balance.

Sugars, yes, avoid all sugars, but that also goes for everything else that breaks down into glucose for exactly the same reason. Refined carbs are the devil.

When burning fat you want to maximise the amount of fat your body can burn, that means ensuring you don't suppress glucagon, which means controlling the insulin response, which means controlling carbs.

Soooooo.....

Is this better than spending an hour 1/2 in the gym 4 times a week? I gotta say im getting bored of the gym, would like to try something new.

I've been reading a lot recently about a training system based on 'Time under load'.

You basically do two workouts a week and only seven exercises - split into workout 1) chest/back/shoulders; 2) legs, tricep and biceps.

Exercises: chest press, lat pull, bent over row, leg press, shoulder press or military press, preacher curl, tricep dip.

You do 7 reps for each exercise, only one set, but each rep should take 10 seconds (five up/five down). You should have the weight so that the seventh rep is where you fail. On the last rep, you should be trying to push it out like your life depends on it - you should keep pushing until you cant push, then hold the weight in a static position at the sticking point, and then lower it as slow as possible.

Rest for 2/3 mins between each set.

That's it. Should take you ten-fifteen mins each session.

Sounds easy, **** isn't. It's very, very intense.

For CV - jump on the bike and do interval training: warm up for 3mins, 30 seconds of cycling all out, 1 min 30 at a steady pace. Repeat step two and three until you've done between 4mins - 8 mins of all out cycling (so 8-16 x 30sec sprints).

That's it.

There's no need to spend over an hour in the gym to keep fit and/or build muscle.

I disagree on a fair chunk of that.

That's what I have been following and I'm not arguing with the results I am getting. Besides, there is often a bit of cheese in there once a week and a little milk at breakfast - hence the "as best you can".

Also, protein is bad IF you don't use it. I am happy to advocate eating a lot of it but my point is you have to use it.

Saturated fats is a personal thing, I often find that they come with foods I really want to eat, as do sugars.

Hope that's clearer.

Soooooo.....

Is this better than spending an hour 1/2 in the gym 4 times a week? I gotta say im getting bored of the gym, would like to try something new.

I've been reading a lot recently about a training system based on 'Time under load'.

You basically do two workouts a week and only seven exercises - split into workout 1) chest/back/shoulders; 2) legs, tricep and biceps.

Exercises: chest press, lat pull, bent over row, leg press, shoulder press or military press, preacher curl, tricep dip.

You do 7 reps for each exercise, only one set, but each rep should take 10 seconds (five up/five down). You should have the weight so that the seventh rep is where you fail. On the last rep, you should be trying to push it out like your life depends on it - you should keep pushing until you cant push, then hold the weight in a static position at the sticking point, and then lower it as slow as possible.

Rest for 2/3 mins between each set.

That's it. Should take you ten-fifteen mins each session.

Sounds easy, **** isn't. It's very, very intense.

For CV - jump on the bike and do interval training: warm up for 3mins, 30 seconds of cycling all out, 1 min 30 at a steady pace. Repeat step two and three until you've done between 4mins - 8 mins of all out cycling (so 8-16 x 30sec sprints).

That's it.

There's no need to spend over an hour in the gym to keep fit and/or build muscle.

I've been looking at something similar myself. I doubt I'll have the desire to keep up the hour or so of exercising every day once I'm finished the 90 days of P90X so i'm looking at more time efficient exericse.

I'm using P90X to get myself to a decent level of fitness, then i'm thinking about moving on to high intensity interval training and time under load type workouts, there's a lot of that kind of stuff in 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss and ideally I'd like to get the most benefit with the minimum time expenditure.

Anybody got any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Hows everyone else doing with this? in my 21st week now although I've tweaked it quite a bit. Now doing the weight training side every 2-3 days and have started doing the Interval X, (which also by doing often is replacing a specific leg workout) instead of plyo/kenpo just to keep things fresh so an example of what I'm doing:

Day 1: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Ab Ripper

Day 2: Interval X

Day 3: Interval X/Ab Ripper

Day 4: Back/Bicpeps

Day 5: Interval X/Ab Ripper

Day 6:Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Day 7: Rest

Day 8:Interval X/Ab Ripper

Day 9: Back/Bicpeps

Day 10:Interval X/Ab Ripper

and so on.......

I've been doing the above adaptations for around the last 5 weeks and its gone really well and taken me up another notch and I already felt as though I was in the best shape of my life. At 37 and having been weight training/biking consistently for 9 years I've found this program great and its certainly worth experimenting with and changing things around slightly to keep it fresh.

Its tough but the results are certainly worth it in terms of levels of fitness/how you will feel and perhaps more importantly for some how you will look.

Finally got back on this today after a fair few weeks out (exams) and I forgot how tough it was! It's mad how much strength and stamina i've lost after a few weeks of laziness, could barely get through the chest and back routine. Hopefully I can stick with it this time as I've got no major interruptions in my schedule for a few months. I'm going to mix it up with another program though (insanity) as I find the cardio vids for P90x quite boring.

• 8 months later...

Anyone started on the p90 first then moved onto the p90x? Would like to buy the P90 first and try it but strugglig to find it anywhere. If anyone has P90 and no longer has a requirement for it or knows where I could get it could you let me know please?

• 1 month later...

Anyone still going on this?

I'm considering doing this as I would like to be stronger and fitter, specifically because I want to be a better rock climber. I'm wary of losing weight though because I'm very skinny as it is, which comes as a source of confusion and frustration to me. I may have to supplement with weight gain style protein, which taste like shit, but such is life. Any tips?

• 6 months later...

hey fellow VTer's..... Anyone still going on this? I have just purchased P90X and have just completed my 2nd day.... I have really enjoyed the first 2 days, although found them really really hard. I am hoping I can maintain the 90 day programme and see some awesome results. I dont think I can stick vigourously to the diet though, I have pretty much cut out all the junk food anyway the last 2 months and lost over a stone just by cutting these out and not doing exercise...so hoping P90x will rip te last stone I want to shread right of me whilst giving me the little bit of definition Im looking for.

Anyone on here had majorly fantastic results without sticking to their diet plan? but just eating healthy food instead?....

My diet will consist of Porridge for breakfast, chicken salads for lunch, fruit salad in the afternoon or a protien bar, with a sensible meal of an evening....maybe brown rice with chicken, fish,etc...

If you eat healthy and exercise plenty you should be fine.

I was at the other end, being too skinny, so the p90x was a bit heavy for me. I only used the Ab ripper x part of it, and then did my own program, which was focused on few but heavy reps. I went from 62 to 85kg in 5 months and had only like 7% body fat. I ate a shitload of nuts and almonds each day, between meals. Great source of protein, but has a lot of calories, so beware if you want to lose weight.

Another tip, something I have started doing recently, is to make juice from fresh fruit. Gives me a real energy kick, is very good for you, and it taste a whole lot better than anything you can buy in the store. If I drink it 45 min before exercise I have a lot more energy to make it count. You can use is it as a meal replacement if you are looking to loose weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed my 2nd week of this programme and all I can say is "oh my god"...what a difference I have noticed in 2 weeks, I cant wait to see the results after 90 days....This programme is unreal, I feel myself getting stronger and fitter everytime I work out...the weight is absolutley dropping off my at a rate of knots....and I have seen a real differnece in my fitness....

To quote Tony, you do have to "bring it" and give it everything you have got, and find that level of determination to do it everyday, but I truely cant wait to do it everyday....it keeps it interesting by mixing things up alot...

So I would suggest to anyone who wants a change of lifestyle and is looking to get fitter and stronger to give this a go....I really really rate it so far.

Â