Dublin

Demitri_C

Don't mind about it being 'that area of town' Hogso.  One of the best things about Dublin city is that it is small enough that you could walk the majority of it with ease.  Don't limit yourself to the Leeson/Baggot area.  You're about a 4 minute walk from St. Stephens' Green which acts as a good starting point.  Firstly, one of its corners exits onto the top of Grafton Street and from there you have Dame Street/Trinity College/O'Connell Street /Temple Bar/Liffey areas just off it.  The city is your oyster :P 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time in Dublin, wonderful city. For anyone going I would highly recommend the 3 day Cityscape bus, 18 Euro a ticket, worth every penny. We used it frequently to get all over the city. Highlight was one of the drivers/guides 'Harry the Hat' who was a blast.

Ate some great food, took in a lot of the history and sights, did the Gaol, Guiness Storehouse, Little Museum of Dublin and some of the free museums too, liked the look of Dublinia, but didn't get round to it.

How long till you get that tram line sorted? Seemed to be causing no end of problems.

As an aside, the Chapters bookstore, **** awesome.

11 hours ago, hogso said:

Had a great time in Dublin, wonderful city. For anyone going I would highly recommend the 3 day Cityscape bus, 18 Euro a ticket, worth every penny. We used it frequently to get all over the city. Highlight was one of the drivers/guides 'Harry the Hat' who was a blast.

Ate some great food, took in a lot of the history and sights, did the Gaol, Guiness Storehouse, Little Museum of Dublin and some of the free museums too, liked the look of Dublinia, but didn't get round to it.

How long till you get that tram line sorted? Seemed to be causing no end of problems.

As an aside, the Chapters bookstore, **** awesome.

It will never be sorted 

• 1 year later...

Going back for another stag in July.

The organiser specifically wants to hire a booth/table at a club or bar on the Saturday night. 

Anyone got any suggestions for something like that? We obviously don't know many of the bars or clubs there so struggling a bit.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Going back for another stag in July.

The organiser specifically wants to hire a booth/table at a club or bar on the Saturday night. 

Anyone got any suggestions for something like that? We obviously don't know many of the bars or clubs there so struggling a bit.

Anywhere that isn't temple bar would be my suggestion unless your a secret millionaire :)

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anywhere that isn't temple bar would be my suggestion unless your a secret millionaire :)

Temple Bar will be the first night.

We want the club/bar for the second night.

I've been recommended Xico or Lillie by my cousin who lives in Dublin. 

Lillies be fancy though Xico is good. Living Room is ok can get pitchers and will open late and show sports though not bit younger crowd. 

D2 also on Harcourt Street has outdoor bar in the club

• Like 1

Can't really help I'm afraid.  I'm way out of touch with clubs in the city that I'm practically a tourist when I go in.  I'd only be giving you very out-dated info.  If I do learn anything I'll stick it in here.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 16/03/2019 at 11:21, KenjiOgiwara said:

Planning a trip late April early May. Thinking airbnb.

Hoping to meet some friends studying there. But in general I wanna just be a tourist. Any parts of the city I should focus on?

Small city so most places are walkable. I wouldnt worry about that 

• 3 years later...

Going to Dublin in a couple of weeks with the other half for 3 days. Seen some great suggestions in this thread, have the storehouse and prison tour booked. We are planning on getting a 1 day open top tour bus too. 

Other than that I guess we’ll see where our feet take us. 

Is it fairly easy to catch a bus or train from the airport into the city? Want to try and avoid taxis if possible. 

Also, any good places to eat? 

45 minutes ago, MCU said:

Going to Dublin in a couple of weeks with the other half for 3 days. Seen some great suggestions in this thread, have the storehouse and prison tour booked. We are planning on getting a 1 day open top tour bus too. 

Is it fairly easy to catch a bus or train from the airport into the city? Want to try and avoid taxis if possible. 

We dont have a train from the airport but is a number of buses including regular bus. Try catch the Airlink if you can, its about 4 euros more expensive than a regular bus but gets you to the city about 20 minutes quicker as it takes the underground tunnel

• Thanks 1

On 16/10/2022 at 10:09, MCU said:

I havent been dublin in years so it ciuld have changed but the one thing i noticed there when it comes to food the amount of junk food places so close together. Trying to find a healthy option was a absolute nightmare. Supermac, BK, KFC etc near enough everywhere 

Like i said this may have changed though as i havent been in like 10 years. Other than that and its stupidly expensive for srinking. Dublins a awesome place

Yep I've got the dublin express before. Short journey and they're not really buses. Their coaches. Leather seats etc. When I've got it in the past there hasn't been many people on it either. They're so regular that they're always pretty quiet

I was there in July. Public bus from the airport was a disaster so took Aircoach. I was at a fairly southern stop so all was OK for me, but on the return trip to the airport the coach filled up pretty quickly and eventually just started driving past stops because there was no space left. People just left waiting at stops and no guarantee there would be space on the next bus in 30 mins. Not sure how it will be in Oct/Nov, but maybe just keep it in mind depending on where you stay!

31 minutes ago, a-k said:

I was there in July. Public bus from the airport was a disaster so took Aircoach. I was at a fairly southern stop so all was OK for me, but on the return trip to the airport the coach filled up pretty quickly and eventually just started driving past stops because there was no space left. People just left waiting at stops and no guarantee there would be space on the next bus in 30 mins. Not sure how it will be in Oct/Nov, but maybe just keep it in mind depending on where you stay!

I dont like to boast but we do have the worst capital city transport in Europe 😛

On 17/10/2022 at 11:13, Demitri_C said:

I havent been dublin in years so it ciuld have changed but the one thing i noticed there when it comes to food the amount of junk food places so close together. Trying to find a healthy option was a absolute nightmare. Supermac, BK, KFC etc near enough everywhere 

Like i said this may have changed though as i havent been in like 10 years. Other than that and its stupidly expensive for srinking. Dublins a awesome place

Food situation has definitely changed in 10 years. There's any amount of places to eat now and absolutely every type of cuisine.

And it's only stupidly expensive if you go to the stupid places. Stay away from Temple Bar. By all means go there for 1 or 2 early on out of curiosity. But once you've got an idea of what it's like, go to other areas. You can walk a few hundred yards from Temple Bar up George's Street, or keep going on to Camden Street and get a pint for a normal price. Baggot Street has good boozers. So many good pubs and very few of them are what I'd call price gougers. All of those are in Temple Bar. Hell, even the Foggy Dew which you could say is technically still in Temple Bar serves a pint at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Â