Match Thread.

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I'd like to go for a 4-3-3 of:

Friedel

Young Collins Cuellar Warnock

NRC Petrov Downing

Gabby Ireland Ash

Surely Gabby up front, Ireland in the hole, Downing on the flank.... :?

Nope :D

That'd be a 4-2-3-1 surely? I just meant a 4-3-3 with 3 defensive players to build the attacks and 3 attacking players to complete them.

MacDonald tried it for one half of one game and it didn't work, but I think Houllier could pull it off.

I'd like to go for a 4-3-3 of:

Friedel

Young Collins Cuellar Warnock

NRC Petrov Downing

Gabby Ireland Ash

Surely Gabby up front, Ireland in the hole, Downing on the flank.... :?

Nope :D

That'd be a 4-2-3-1 surely? I just meant a 4-3-3 with 3 defensive players to build the attacks and 3 attacking players to complete them.

MacDonald tried it for one half of one game and it didn't work, but I think Houllier could pull it off.

You can't expect only 3 players to just finish off attacks! Surely you need a front man? playing Ireland there is just as bad as playing in central midfield in my opinion. Also how is Downing a defensive player?

Downing isn't a defensive player but he's a clever passer so I think he'd be suited in that position with our "continental" attacking style. (Just because I said "the defensive 3" doesn't mean that they all need to be incredible tacklers, it was just the way I differentiated them from the front 3. Also I don't see how Ireland would be a vast drop in quality to Gabby, Heskey or Carew playing in a forward position.

Yes, Ireland isn't as large so possibly wouldn't be as great as holding up the ball or collecting high balls. But for what he lacks, we'd gain in creativity and a goalscoring threat.

What ever formation we play, the team aren't going to stick rigidly to the formation for the whole 90 minutes. Players will move around and make runs into space. I just think it could be good to have Gabby and Ash in the wide positions to use their pace to drag other players out of position (With Gabby being in the position that Delfouneso was in against Blackburn) and because of the movement of players it wouldn't remain as only 3 players to finish off attacks.

As Shillz said, there's probably not a huge difference between 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 4-5-1.

I just think that Ireland upfront with supply on the wings from Ash & Gabby would be decent.

But that's not going to get the best out of creative players, Ireland will want to drop off into space, meaning there's no threat in behind Wolves apart from the flanks. Ireland wants to be creating and coming late onto attacks, not be a focal point as a striker. Even teams like Arsenal know the importance of a proper striker such as Chamakh/Van Persie.

The only reason we beat Blackburn was because finally we had a striker who was keeping the ball when it went into him and having players off and around him such as Young. I mean playing Ireland as a striker playing off like Heskey or something, okay but as a proper striker? just seems stupid and playing him out of position.

Surely you just play him in his proper position, I.e. off a striker, the whole reason he's a good attacking midfielder is because he finds space and doesn't get picked up by defenders. Putting him striker is taking that away, just like putting him central midfield is.

The only good team in the world who plays without a proper striker is Barcelona and that's because they have the best players in the world, but even there most successful season a couple seasons ago was when they had Eto'o playing through the middle.

I just don't get what's up with players out of position....I just believe the idea of Ireland as the only central striker is just as stupid as having him a holding midfielder.

Friedel

Luke Young Cuellar Collins Warnock

Ash Coker Petrov Ireland Downing

Heskey

Houllier will definately start Heskey especially as Gabby seems to be out. The only place up for debate above is whether Reo Coker, Sidwell or Bannan start and if Dunne is fit he may start ahead of Cuellar.

Friedel

Luke Young Cuellar Collins Warnock

Ash Coker Petrov Ireland Downing

Heskey

Houllier will definately start Heskey especially as Gabby seems to be out. The only place up for debate above is whether Reo Coker, Sidwell or Bannan start and if Dunne is fit he may start ahead of Cuellar.

I'd go with this too. :thumb:

-------------------Friedel

Young--------Carlos--------Collins---------Warnock

---------------Reo-Coker-----Petrov----------------

Albrighton-------------------------------Bannan

----------------------Young-----------------------

--------------------Heskey------------------------

Never thought I'd put Heskey in, but deserves a start after the other day.

I think GH will go,

Friedel

L Young

Collins

Cuellar

Warnock

Bannan

Petrov

Sidwell

Downing

A Young

Heskey

Especially as he was comparing Young to Owen

. I think that is an indication he wants to use Young as a forward player.