Match Thread

limpid

If Ireland plays as a holding player, I will scream.

it's stupid really - everyone else can see it but obviously not KMac.....

What a waste of a player, utilising Ireland there and IMO we need NRC against a physical Notlob team....

Absolutely, him playing deep costs us as well, it is like Macdonald has some kind of Petrov fetish when I would rather have Ireland playing the advanced role.

i dont know what people are getting so wound up for.

before the season loads of people were saying that young might be worth trying in the middle/hole, and he has said himself that he likes it. ok, he might not have perfected the art of playing there yet but he cant be expected to sudenly change position and play like cantona having being out on the wing for the last however many seasons. chill out a bit and have some patience.

VILLA: Friedel; L Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock; Albrighton, Ireland, Petrov, Downing; A Young; Agbonlahor. Subs: Guzan, Carew, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Clark, Cuellar, Bannan.

BOLTON: Bogdan; Steinsson, Knight, O’Brien, Robinson; Petrov, Muamba, Holden, Chung-Young; Elmander, K Davies. Subs: Lainton, Taylor, M Davies, Klasnic, Ricketts, Moreno, Blake.

before the season loads of people were saying that young might be worth trying in the middle/hole, and he has said himself that he likes it. ok, he might not have perfected the art of playing there yet but he cant be expected to sudenly change position and play like cantona having being out on the wing for the last however many seasons. chill out a bit and have some patience.

We didn't have Ireland when people were saying that. Now we have Ireland, a perfect link player, we don't need to be trying out Ashley in there and subsequently playing 2 players out of position.

It's not just about Young being played through the middle - with Ireland so deep it's a waste of his natural talent and we'll miss the added grit of NRC in the centre of the park.

We didn't have Ireland when people were saying that. Now we have Ireland, a perfect link player, we don't need to be trying out Ashley in there and subsequently playing 2 players out of position.

in my opinion, i dont see the point of playing two out and out wingers anyway if you arent going to play carew in the middle.

i think we are getting too taken in by the "holding midfielder" thing. its a buzz word of the last few years, it didnt exist until makelele - and barry is the only player in the england team who has effectively done it. in years gone by two central midfielders played together as a unit and one covered the other when he went forward. petrov is actually quite good at going forward but has been pidgeon-holed as a holding player since he came to villa. whats wrong with ireland and petrov playing side by side as any other two central midfielders would have done in the past before the advent of the "makelele role"?

Its really not that crazy. He expects us to play more possession football at home, so hes set us up to retain the ball, the important thing here is to not get drawn into a physical battle and just play the game we're set up to play. hopefully Bannan can get some minutes today, hes been in good form and i think he offers us something a little different.

in my opinion, i dont see the point of playing two out and out wingers anyway if you arent going to play carew in the middle.

i think we are getting too taken in by the "holding midfielder" thing. its a buzz word of the last few years, it didnt exist until makelele - and barry is the only player in the england team who has effectively done it. in years gone by two central midfielders played together as a unit and one covered the other when he went forward. petrov is actually quite good at going forward but has been pidgeon-holed as a holding player since he came to villa. whats wrong with ireland and petrov playing side by side as any other two central midfielders would have done in the past before the advent of the "makelele role"?

The problem is not Petrov, it's Ireland. He's just not a central midfielder.

what is he then?

he isnt a defender, he isnt a forward and he isnt a winger...

what is he then?

He's an attacking midfielder. Lampard and Gerrard don't play in a 2 man central midfield do they? Why not? Because their managers know how to get the best out of them.

what is he then?

He's an attacking midfielder. Lampard and Gerrard don't play in a 2 man central midfield do they? Why not? Because their managers know how to get the best out of them.

our midfield will line up effectively as a diamond with the two wingers out wide and petrov playing behind ireland. petrov holding, ireland = your attacking mid. its exactly what we are doing today with young up front playing off gabby. we have a four man midfield with two up front. i dont see how anyone is out of position except perhaps young if you think he should play on the wing.